Sponsored

HELP….mechanic says I need a new ECM

qwk93ta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 M6 & 2015 Hellcat A8 (10.83 @ 127)
I have a 2016 GT auto that has a starting issue that I explained in a prior post. My mechanic says the ECM is bad and needs to be replaced. He said I need to go to Ford to have that done because he does d not have access to the software needed to replace an ECM. My car is stock, is it possible for me to get a used computer with the same strategy code and replace the ECM without out going to a dealer? Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
I have a 2016 GT auto that has a starting issue that I explained in a prior post. My mechanic says the ECM is bad and needs to be replaced. He said I need to go to Ford to have that done because he does d not have access to the software needed to replace an ECM. My car is stock, is it possible for me to get a used computer with the same strategy code and replace the ECM without out going to a dealer? Thanks in advance for your help.
I'm not certain if you can replace the PCM from a junk yard even if it had the same powertrain and year. I don't know where the anti-theft stuff is stored but if it's in the PCM it may not work. Also, in the later vehicles, the BCM and other modules "talk" to each other via the network so if it's not expecting that PCM's ID it won't work. Everything is now interconnected with a high-speed and low-speed network depending which modules are communicating with what. I forgot what year they implemented the CAN network for these purposes (earlier networks were primitive compared to today's stuff).

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
It's my understanding the Powertrain Control Module will have to be programmed to match the car.

On the outside of the existing PCM is a code which will help associate the replacement PCM with your vehicle. I've also read of people simply needing the VIN of the car it will be installed in. Further, the factory tune for the engine and transmission will need to be loaded and confirmed good in the replacement unit.

Discuss the situation with your local dealer and what their process is. I'd start with the Parts Dept.

I believe PCMs are transmission-specific, so confirm you'll receive a device to support the type in your car.

Last edited:
OP
OP
qwk93ta

qwk93ta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 M6 & 2015 Hellcat A8 (10.83 @ 127)
Thanks for the info.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Might want to check with the dealer on this, can’t say I hear much ever about bad ECMs. Maybe that’s not the problem.
Sponsored