Headers for a daily S550?

Stanv03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver Mustang GT Premium
Hello everyone, does anyone run Headers with a Roush catback or axlebacks??. I have a stock GT with Roush catback and I’ve been considering getting some headers. But I do daily my car. Would it be tolerable? What about the cabin, can I listen to music and hold a conversation without having to talk louder than usual? I love my catback but i would like for it to be a bit more aggressive. My option is Kooks Green Catted headers. Also how do y’all pass emission with catted headers?. Here in GA we must do emission once a year. So passing emission for me is a MUST.
Sponsored

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
Hello everyone, does anyone run Headers with a Roush catback or axlebacks??. I have a stock GT with Roush catback and I’ve been considering getting some headers. But I do daily my car. Would it be tolerable? What about the cabin, can I listen to music and hold a conversation without having to talk louder than usual? I love my catback but i would like for it to be a bit more aggressive. My option is Kooks Green Catted headers. Also how do y’all pass emission with catted headers?. Here in GA we must do emission once a year. So passing emission for me is a MUST.
Headers do not make the car louder, it just changes the tone of the exhaust. Now, if you run catless headers then you removing the cats will drastically make it louder. If you run catted headers you will pass emissions just fine. I am from Ga and never had an issue running shorty headers on my last mustang :like:

OP
OP
Stanv03

Stanv03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stan
Vehicle(s)
Headers do not make the car louder, it just changes the tone of the exhaust. Now, if you run catless headers then you removing the cats will drastically make it louder. If you run catted headers you will pass emissions just fine. I am from Ga and never had an issue running shorty headers on my last mustang :like:
Ah ok, I’ve read somewhere on Reddit that even catted headers don’t pass emission. So which is why I wanted to ask . Passing emission is my main priority and yes I do want catted headers. What headers are you running now?

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Ah ok, I’ve read somewhere on Reddit that even catted headers don’t pass emission. So which is why I wanted to ask . Passing emission is my main priority and yes I do want catted headers. What headers are you running now?
Whoever said that more than likely had high-flow cats and even then they were probably malfunctioning. Cats are cats no matter which way you swing them, unless they aren't actually cats lol. You'll have no issues passing emissions.

I am not running headers on my new GT, I had them on my previous mustang. I ran BBK shorty headers with the ceramic coating.

Although I do have to say the stock headers on the 2018+ GTs are actually quite good stock. Unless you plan to go full long tube without cats you won't see much of a power gain. But if sounds is all you're looking to modify then go for it!

OP
OP
Stanv03

Stanv03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stan
Vehicle(s)
Whoever said that more than likely had high-flow cats and even then they were probably malfunctioning. Cats are cats no matter which way you swing them, unless they aren't actually cats lol. You'll have no issues passing emissions.

I am not running headers on my new GT, I had them on my previous mustang. I ran BBK shorty headers with the ceramic coating.

Although I do have to say the stock headers on the 2018+ GTs are actually quite good stock. Unless you plan to go full long tube without cats you won't see much of a power gain. But if sounds is all you're looking to modify then go for it!
Yea, the Kooks Green catted headers says “ Passes Emissions Tests. This exhaust system fully optimizes and passes emissions testing with effective work running your exhaust gases towards catalytic converters, converting them into less toxic gases. This makes it ideal for use in any regions that have not incorporated CARB-emissions standards.” But I wanted to see from someone with personal experience which is why I made this post. And may I ask why you’re not running upgraded headers? Is there a specific reason?

Sponsored

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Yea, the Kooks Green catted headers says “ Passes Emissions Tests. This exhaust system fully optimizes and passes emissions testing with effective work running your exhaust gases towards catalytic converters, converting them into less toxic gases. This makes it ideal for use in any regions that have not incorporated CARB-emissions standards.” But I wanted to see from someone with personal experience which is why I made this post. And may I ask why you’re not running upgraded headers? Is there a specific reason?
Well I also need to stay emissions compliant, and since I won't see any power gains from catted headers I just haven't justified spending the money for just sounds improvement. To me the stock sound is good enough. An upgraded exhaust system will come later.

The stock headers are actually shorty headers and flow extremely well. You'll be hard pressed to find catted headers that flow significantly better than the stock ones. Not to mention you'll need a tune to get the power out of headers. So, my reason is simply personal, not because they mess anything up or anything!

OP
OP
Stanv03

Stanv03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stan
Vehicle(s)
Well I also need to stay emissions compliant, and since I won't see any power gains from catted headers I just haven't justified spending the money for just sounds improvement. To me the stock sound is good enough. An upgraded exhaust system will come later.

The stock headers are actually shorty headers and flow extremely well. You'll be hard pressed to find catted headers that flow significantly better than the stock ones. Not to mention you'll need a tune to get the power out of headers. So, my reason is simply personal, not because they mess anything up or anything!
Well I very much appreciate you for taking time out of your day to responding my questions. Have a great day!
Sponsored