Sponsored

Have you made a "how to" caliper paint thread?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I'm ready to paint my calipers with G2 paint and would like to read how others have done it to get the best results and avoid mistakes.

Maybe I don't know the best way to search because I get either nothing or 150+ posts that just mention they did it or might do it, etc. (at least the 25 or so I've opened).

Links or better search terms would be appreciated.
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I removed my front calipers (Brembos), cleaned them with brake cleaner, wirebrushed the shit out of them, sprayed again, got all the fluid out, sprayed again, sanded with 150 grit, then 180 grit sandpaper, sprayed again, then wiped down with isopropyl alcohol. Then I used a decent brush to apply two coats, let that dry, and installed. For the rears, I removed the caliper brackets and did a similar process, but left the rear calipers on the car and took a little more of a lax approach.

JR

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I removed my front calipers (Brembos), cleaned them with brake cleaner, wirebrushed the shit out of them, sprayed again, got all the fluid out, sprayed again, sanded with 150 grit, then 180 grit sandpaper, sprayed again, then wiped down with isopropyl alcohol. Then I used a decent brush to apply two coats, let that dry, and installed. For the rears, I removed the caliper brackets and did a similar process, but left the rear calipers on the car and took a little more of a lax approach.

JR
Thanks. What does "spray again" mean? I'm assuming brake cleaner. Downsides of doing fronts on the car?

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. What does "spray again" mean? I'm assuming brake cleaner. Downsides of doing fronts on the car?
Yes, brake cleaner. I always use non-chlorinated, though I'm not sure if that's necessarily better/safer than chlorinated.

The downside of doing the calipers on the car is that you're going to be trying to hold it, turn it, paint it, etc. If you're ok with just painting the areas that are shown, you can do it with the calipers still attached. If you want a "complete" job, with coverage everywhere, you need to remove them.

Mine still look great, 2.5 years later. I spray them down with some brake cleaner and wipe them off with a shop rag whenever I have the wheels off the car. There are a couple chips and such, but nothing crazy. If I ever decide to re-do them, I'll likely have them powdercoated, rather than re-paint.

JR

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Yes, brake cleaner. I always use non-chlorinated, though I'm not sure if that's necessarily better/safer than chlorinated.

The downside of doing the calipers on the car is that you're going to be trying to hold it, turn it, paint it, etc. If you're ok with just painting the areas that are shown, you can do it with the calipers still attached. If you want a "complete" job, with coverage everywhere, you need to remove them.

Mine still look great, 2.5 years later. I spray them down with some brake cleaner and wipe them off with a shop rag whenever I have the wheels off the car. There are a couple chips and such, but nothing crazy. If I ever decide to re-do them, I'll likely have them powdercoated, rather than re-paint.

JR
Thanks.

I'd prefer to not have to bleed the brakes. Will think about that more. Maybe do a trial run without the actual paint.

I didn't go powdercoat for a few reasons. If this doesn't last and the G2 doesn't match as well as I like, I might powder-coat next time. I had to jump thru hoops to get G2 to offer Velocity Blue. Not to mention the extra cost for custom match, so I hope it hods up AND looks the same as my Velocity Blue stripes, mirror covers, etc.. Their custom match paints don't include things like the pearls in VB but am hoping that won't be obvious thru the spokes of the Nickle PP wheels.

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks.

I'd prefer to not have to bleed the brakes. Will think about that more. Maybe do a trial run without the actual paint.

I didn't go powdercoat for a few reasons. If this doesn't last and the G2 doesn't match as well as I like, I might powder-coat next time. I had to jump thru hoops to get G2 to offer Velocity Blue. Not to mention the extra cost for custom match, so I hope it hods up AND looks the same as my Velocity Blue stripes, mirror covers, etc.. Their custom match paints don't include things like the pearls in VB but am hoping that won't be obvious thru the spokes of the Nickle PP wheels.
Ehh, bleeding isn't bad. I just bought a Motive Power Bleeder for $70 from Optimum Performance, and it worked great (until I dropped it and fubar'd the swivel fitting on the cap, having to replace it). The bigger issue is figuring out how to clamp off the lines so that the fluid doesn't drain out of the system.

JR

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
When I painted mine. I removed the disk re bolted the caliper to the bracket and masked the area I dont want the paint to go. I have used this method on many cars and it really does make it easier to manage the caliper

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
When I painted mine. I removed the disk re bolted the caliper to the bracket and masked the area I dont want the paint to go. I have used this method on many cars and it really does make it easier to manage the caliper
Thanks. I like that idea if its low skill to remove the rotor.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
It is on the mustangs. Also you can do the same by just removing the pads. Masking the rotors and stuffing newspaper in the cavity where the caliper. Piston are located.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Thanks (again). Since I'm painting with brush, I might not have to mask anything this way except the bleeder.

WP_20190318_13_31_55_Rich cropped.jpg

Sponsored

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
The "proper" way is to remove them from the car, disassemble them, and paint. But screw that. I cleaned them with brake cleaner, taped off what I didn't want to get paint on, and brushed away. Sure, if you put my car up on a lift and you're in the center of the car look at the inside of the wheels, you notice the paint job is not full. But I don't really care what it looks like when my car is on a lift. Looks great up close or when I'm driving.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The "proper" way is to remove them from the car, disassemble them, and paint. But screw that. I cleaned them with brake cleaner, taped off what I didn't want to get paint on, and brushed away. Sure, if you put my car up on a lift and you're in the center of the car look at the inside of the wheels, you notice the paint job is not full. But I don't really care what it looks like when my car is on a lift. Looks great up close or when I'm driving.
Yep. I don't plan to paint the back side of the front calipers.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I unbolted mine but left the brake lines on. 2 hours with G2 paint, new rotors and Stop Tech pads and we're done.
20180527_075557_resized_1.jpg

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
None of the how-tos I've seen that include removing calipers list the torque values for the caliper bolts. So I bought a service manual and was surprised it says the bolts are NOT reusable. Looking thru it, the manual says that includes LOTS of bolts (example: IRS bolts for CB005) that I haven't seen anyone mention replacing. It seems that any bolt that used thread locker from the factory is supposed to be replaced. Since virtually nobody is doing that (or keeping quiet about it) is it okay to reuse them if you clean off the thread locker? I'm thinking the service manual says that to avoid Ford paying techs to clean them and/or they don't want to be on the hook if they don't get cleaned right and therefore have wrong torque when reused.
Sponsored