Sponsored

Have you had PPF applied, and how much did it run you? (NJ)

socal2fast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have had my Full cars done. in the 4k Range.

I have had Xpel,3m pro ,Suntek. All of them have worked well.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I had the nose, front half of the hood, A pillars, leading edge of the roof and the mirrors of my GT350 done for $750.

But I'm in flyover country.

I agree with others that the area in front of the rear tires is important to have done. And if I were doing it again I would probably do entire panels rather than any partial panels (other than the rear quarter).

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I had the nose, front half of the hood, A pillars, leading edge of the roof and the mirrors of my GT350 done for $750.

But I'm in flyover country.

I agree with others that the area in front of the rear tires is important to have done. And if I were doing it again I would probably do entire panels rather than any partial panels (other than the rear quarter).
I was also going to go with the half hood. My detailer guaranteed me that if I did a chip would occur just above the film. He bet me free washings for a year. I decided not to take him up on the bet and did the entire hood. You know how the story ends. Sure glad I did it. :)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I was also going to go with the half hood. My detailer guaranteed me that if I did a chip would occur just above the film. He bet me free washings for a year. I decided not to take him up on the bet and did the entire hood. You know how the story ends. Sure glad I did it. :)
I didn't get a chip, but film edges in the middle of a panel are a PITA. If you get wax or sealer on them the edges become more visible. So they have to be masked off during sealing or you have to try to stay away from them. They are just annoying to deal with.

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Has anyone bought that roll of xpel off Amazon and used that for body panels?

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I agree with you on that. I think really what it comes down to for me is like one of the other members said, “cost vs. necessity”. I may end up doing it just for sake of making it easier to clean, but damn if that isn’t a really expensive way to keep it clean...
It's really simple when deciding to do PPF or not:

Do you want to pay upfront to help protect your OEM paint and bumper, or do you want to pay later for a respray after your front gets all peppered up.

With the former, your front end pretty much stays pristine the entire time, provided you use common sense like stay the hell away from trucks and 18 wheelers, and don't tailgate other cars.

With the latter, front end is going to get peppered up, and every day you will see the damage, and it'll be there until the day you repaint and repair your front end. And if you have stripes, good luck finding OEM replacement because 1. It's very expensive, and 2. It may not be available. I have a 2016 and am trying to get a replacement section of stripes for my front bumper, and the ETA from ford is still TBD. It's been in that status for a few months already.

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
My understanding is you can't PPF stripes?

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
My understanding is you can't PPF stripes?
You can PPF the stripes. They will either wrap it all in 1 piece, or they will wrap it in pieces. For example the hood: 1 Piece, or 3/4? pieces, left side of hood, 1 or 2 pieces for the stripes, then the right side of the hood.

I have the 1 piece, which leaves a small air gap at the edges of the stripes. They gave me the option to section it like the latter, but it just sounded funky to me, and sounds like the edges of the PPF would be exposed.

One warning to all who are wrapping PPF ontop of your stripes: There's a risk that the stripes will come off with the PPF when it comes time for removal. Maybe this is what you mean what you can't PPF the stripes.

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
One warning to all who are wrapping PPF ontop of your stripes: There's a risk that the stripes will come off with the PPF when it comes time for removal. Maybe this is what you mean what you can't PPF the stripes.
Yes, I've heard the stripe will peel up.

I would be worried about a 1 piece because of the air pocket created at the stripe line. I have to make this decision soon as I'm getting PPF on my bumper 5 days after I pick up the car.

I'm considering buying the Xpel pack from Amazon to do in front of rear wheels and bottom of door. I'm also considering doing the hood myself although I've never done this before. I mean, how hard can this really be? Haha, yeah, JK.

Shawn78600

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
GT350 #K2058
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all,

I’m in NJ and looking for prices on PPF. I reached out to a shop that’s done tints/detailing on a few of my cars, they came in at $2300 for PPF for the entire front bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors. Basically the entire front end up to the “A” pillar. This does not include $350 for paint correction, which is a must for PPF. So essentially $2650 for PPF entire front end up to the “A” pillar.

This seems a bit pricey to me. What have you guys paid for PPF with the paint correction, and if you’re local to NJ, where did you get it done?
I got the same front done plus 8inches of the front top(roof) for $1350 incl paint correction, as these cars generally don't need much work on the paint correction part because they are either fairly new or well maintained. I got the Sunteck PPF but had an option for Xpel for the same price
hope this helps

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Yes, I've heard the stripe will peel up.

I would be worried about a 1 piece because of the air pocket created at the stripe line. I have to make this decision soon as I'm getting PPF on my bumper 5 days after I pick up the car.

I'm considering buying the Xpel pack from Amazon to do in front of rear wheels and bottom of door. I'm also considering doing the hood myself although I've never done this before. I mean, how hard can this really be? Haha, yeah, JK.
It can and will. I had the shop redo the bumper, hood, and roof since it had some debris underneath it from when they had just opened up shop after painting the entire shop interior. The owner only trusted himself to attempt it, and in the end the roof stripes came off. He got the OK from me to just wrap the roof in a new PPF that came in black.

The dealership where I get my service at scratched the PPF on the front bumper. They've already reimbursed me for the cost of replacing the PPF. The only issue is if the stripes come off, I'll need to replace it. With the stripes possibly on a perpetual backorder, I'm not attempting the replacement.

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Man, sounds like it's better maybe to skip the stripes altogether. It's a major PITA 🥙.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Xpel has the patterns for individual stripe protection, which is what I have. The stripes are very susceptible to damage, so if they aren't covered you will take your chances. Good luck

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's really simple when deciding to do PPF or not:

Do you want to pay upfront to help protect your OEM paint and bumper, or do you want to pay later for a respray after your front gets all peppered up.

With the former, your front end pretty much stays pristine the entire time, provided you use common sense like stay the hell away from trucks and 18 wheelers, and don't tailgate other cars.

With the latter, front end is going to get peppered up, and every day you will see the damage, and it'll be there until the day you repaint and repair your front end. And if you have stripes, good luck finding OEM replacement because 1. It's very expensive, and 2. It may not be available. I have a 2016 and am trying to get a replacement section of stripes for my front bumper, and the ETA from ford is still TBD. It's been in that status for a few months already.
You forgot about the option of not worrying about getting some wear and tear on the vehicle and just driving it and having fun and then selling when you are done with it. The math can be as simple as whether you think the trade in value will offset the price of PPF (hint: probably not).

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Well, I'll tell ya, I had major paint chip damage to my front end on the C7. I wish the original owner would have done it.
Sponsored