Hard to shift after Exedy Stage 2 Clutch/Throw Out bearing

zackydeuces

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base Mustang GT Manual
Hi guys. I'll try to be as specific as possible describing the issue I'm having.

I recently had an Exedy Mach 600 Stage 2 clutch, Exedy lightweight flywheel, McLeod steel braided clutch line, and throw out bearing(included with clutch) installed by a reputable guy who's done several installs for guys I know. After the install, I gave the clutch pedal the 100+ pumps that are known to be necessary after an install like this until the pedal had a good feel to it. We topped off the reservoir to max. He also sucked up some fresh brake fluid into the new throw out bearing before installing. Upon leaving the shop, the car felt fine until about 15 minutes into the drive. I was stopped at a light and as I went to take off the pedal went soft all the way to the floor and I could not get into gear. I turned the car off and gave the pedal a few quick pumps to be able to get it in gear and off the road. With the car off again, I pumped the pedal several more times until it had good pedal feel. Ever since then the pedal feel has been fine but a new problem had arisen. When starting the car, I clutch in and when trying to go into first there is an abrupt wall about halfway through the shift throw, then after a split second the shifter will drop into gear. If I stay clutched in and try to go into first again, it will drop into gear just fine with no fuss. When trying reverse, it will be very difficult to get into gear, but as I said if I stay clutched in and try again it will shift just fine. If I let the clutch out and try any gear again it will do the same thing. I also hit this "wall" in the shift throw while driving and shifting into any gear, although it is more pronounced in 1st and 2nd. Everything I've read says there is no bleeder for the throw out and the only way to bleed the system is to keep pumping. The pedal feel is fine so I can't imagine there's still air in the system. The only other thing I've noticed is that when trying to shift into 1st while clutched in a stop, the car will just barely lurch which leads me to believe the clutch is still barely engaged even when fully clutched in. The engagement point on the pedal is also maybe an inch or two off the floor whereas it was about halfway through the pedal travel before the install. I think the issue is that the clutch isn't fully disengaging but I have no idea how to address this as the throw out bearing is not adjustable. I have seen spacers that bring the throw out bearing closer to the pressure plate which would maybe help, but they are listed for the 11-14s only. As far as I can tell the install was correct and went smoothly being that I gave him a hand and didn't see any issues. As I side note I do have an MGW shifter that was installed way before the clutch and that I don't think is the culprit. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
You're like the third person on this forum in the last months having issues with this clutch setup. I would try to powerbleed it and see where you're at, but it's probably an issue with the throw out bearing.

OP
OP

zackydeuces

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base Mustang GT Manual
You're like the third person on this forum in the last months having issues with this clutch setup. I would try to powerbleed it and see where you're at, but it's probably an issue with the throw out bearing.
I'm going to try to vaccuum bleed from the reservoir just to eliminate the possibility of air first. Throw out bearing visually looks fine looking through the peep hole. If the bleeding doesn't fix it then I guess it'll be taking the trans down again and seeing whats up.

tevaburns

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tiberius
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
I'm going to try to vaccuum bleed from the reservoir just to eliminate the possibility of air first. Throw out bearing visually looks fine looking through the peep hole. If the bleeding doesn't fix it then I guess it'll be taking the trans down again and seeing whats up.
Did you end up fixing it?
Sponsored