Handbrake possible issue?

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
I noticed about a week ago when I release the handbrake it is very loose when not engaged. I know that it wasn't alwaya like this. It moves side to side and up and down, there's roughly 1"_2" play on it when it's not engaged. I went to the dealership to have it looked at and they want to compare it to others, WTF? I asked if this is Ford's new policy of dismissing customers with issues. I have owned many cars in 30 years of driving and I have never had a parking brake wiggle back and forth before so I don't consider it normal. The service department claims that the 2015 is the best Mustang Ford has ever built and they haven't had any come back with issues and are not aware of any issues with the 2015. I then mentioned the TSB's for squealing brakes and exhaust leak and suddenly he knew about the brake TSB. I decided not to bother waiting and I will schedule a service appointment for the handbrake.

Anyone else have similar issue with the handbrake?

I also wanted my oil changed to full synthetic and they wouldn't change the oil. I have 1450 miles on it and the service guy said that Ford recommends the first oil change at 5000 miles because the factory oil has special additives to help with engine break in and changing it too soon can cause problems with the engine later on. Sounds like bs to me because I thought that was no longer true. I'm taking it to my favorite shop instead. I wanted to use the maintenance plan Ford gave me but I guess it's useless to deal with dealership service departments therefore the maintenance contract is also useless.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
My handbrake is very firm. Just a tiny bit of play, like .25". My car is 6 months old, too.

My local Ford dealership did my oil change at 997 miles. No push back at all. I went with the Motorcraft full synthetic 5W-20, too.

AngryBeavers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 black gt
1 to 2 inches sounds really loose to me. I doubt any mustangs on the lot would be that loose. I had my oil changed at just under 7000 miles. Read the manual. It says change at 7500 or when the car tells you, whichever comes first. I'd bet money they put in my car whatever the manual tells them to. Don't know if that was full synthetic or not.

Idk about changing the engine oil to soon can hurt it alot of people do but usually because the OEM oil is not their preferred brand or they worry about metal shavings from engine break-in in their oil. This used to be a bigger deal with older cars, it still keeps some people from sleeping at night but I think its a waste of money. Do what the manual says. The dealership is probably wrong about that engine damage later on but they also probably saved you a few bucks.

Be wary of taking it to a different shop I would think that you could run into warranty issues later on if they try and say something they did to your car wasn't a ford repair and they could've messed it up.

That parking brake issue does not sound normal though.

OP
OP
PonyGrrrl

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
I always change my oil on a new car between 1000 to 1500 miles. They didn't save me money because I have a maintenance contract. I am definitely going back for the handbrake. I save my service records and I can take my car to any reputable shop for an oil change and usually do avoid dealerships because they hire clowns and are awful in comparison to the shop I usually use and it's never been a problem.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
I'm almost positive it's a waste of time and money to get the oil changed before hitting at least 3k miles. I had mine changed 5,000 and I'm still running smooth at 8700 now. I'll change it again at 10,000 with some better oil since I went to the track a couple times and uploaded an aftermarket tune

Sponsored

dfrost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt pp Guard.
Mine has some play in it as well when not engaged. I'd say 1/2" or so. It wasn't like that at first, only have 1500 miles on it.

lint28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost w/PP - Now its a 2016 GT w/PP!!!
Mine has about an inch of play that wasn't there when I first got it. Only up/down not side to side

tevaburns

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tiberius
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
Anyone else have similar issue with the handbrake?
My handbrake was super loose and the "handbrake on" warning light would just appear while driving. I took it into the dealer and they fixed it with an adjustment. Been great ever since.
Sponsored