Sponsored

Gurney flap security

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Looks like the elaborated in later versions of the supplement. I have an earlier version and it does not mention screw lengths, which as many know, were the topic of a couple threads on this and the GT500 forum. My version also doesn't have pictures, which is why I'm not able to fully comprehend Gurney flap use. Had chapped lips, so reading was extremely painful :).

Only says the following:

"Your vehicle may include a removable gurney flap in the luggage compartment. The gurney flap greatly enhances high speed stability and performance on the track. It is recommended that you use the gurney flap at all tracks featuring high speed corners and can be used at any track regardless of cornering speeds.

Smaller tracks with maximum cornering speeds below 70 mph (112 km/h) may benefit from the removal of the gurney flap to improve low speed balance. It is recommended that the user attaches the gurney flap for all track events and carefully assess both the vehicle's condition and and the users capability before removal."
Sponsored

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
The swing with Gurney flap give about 230 pounds of downforce if I remember correctly. The GT350R wing gives 300 and the GT500 Carbon gives 550.

I would take any warnings about “track only” as government regulations just like you will recover when clicking over to track mode or switching the exhaust to loud. Driving with a Gurney flap is not going to effect your car or harm your emissions—especially since the swing with downforce is lower than the GT350R. Will you create more drag on that vehicle, yes, but with more downforce being produced. Will you notice it in you gas bill, most likely not.

Last edited: