Sponsored

GT350R tire option?

STFUdonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 AG
Hi Guys, currently shredded through OEM sized Cup 2 tires. I purchased a set of barely touched Cup 2’s locally that are 305/30/19 for all tires. I was planning to dismount/mount them once fronts started to wear a bit from street/occasional track days and move them to rears and move rears to the front to extend the lifespan of the set. A bit of a hassle but if I could get extra life out of the set that was with the extra mount/dismount time and cost.

Recently I came across a set of slightly used (3000 miles) PS4S Tires for $900 bucks. They are 305/30/19 and 325/30/19. I was doing some research that supposedly the PS4S 325 would be a bit big of a tread width and possibly detrimental to handling characteristics.

I’m not chasing lap times, just enjoy 6-10 track days a year and the occasional weekend cruise. Any input of what you guys might suggest would be the better option here for someone like me?
Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
My favorite to date is the supercar 3 by goodyear. good combo of fast laps and long ish lasting.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
If you're not chasing lap times and want a tire that can track that many days, as well as the occasional weekend cruise, go with the PS4S. On track, compared to a Cup 2, they are much slower. BUT they are probably the best tire you can get for long lasting, dual purpose use like you are looking for. They hold their own very well on track, have great road manners, can handle rain very well, and last a long time.

Cup 2s are absolutely amazing tires for the track. The lap times you'll get will be a few seconds faster than PS4S even when they're about to be corded and are falling apart. BUT you can never reach their limit on the street. They're too aggressive for daily driving in my opinion and throw rocks everywhere. When it rains or if it's cold out (<50F) you have to be careful until they warm up. And they don't last very long at all. In my experience, my 2 sets of Cup 2s lasted me 3-4 track days and they were used exclusively on track. Almost no street driving.

OP
OP
STFUdonny

STFUdonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 AG
If you're not chasing lap times and want a tire that can track that many days, as well as the occasional weekend cruise, go with the PS4S. On track, compared to a Cup 2, they are much slower. BUT they are probably the best tire you can get for long lasting, dual purpose use like you are looking for. They hold their own very well on track, have great road manners, can handle rain very well, and last a long time.

Cup 2s are absolutely amazing tires for the track. The lap times you'll get will be a few seconds faster than PS4S even when they're about to be corded and are falling apart. BUT you can never reach their limit on the street. They're too aggressive for daily driving in my opinion and throw rocks everywhere. When it rains or if it's cold out (<50F) you have to be careful until they warm up. And they don't last very long at all. In my experience, my 2 sets of Cup 2s lasted me 3-4 track days and they were used exclusively on track. Almost no street driving.
Thank you for the post. I just cashed out a set of cup 2’s after 3 track days and maybe 400 miles. I love how they perform on the track, but for me, I’d rather have a few second sacrifice on track for a tire that still has excellent performance but will last me a lot longer.

So unless the idea of keeping 305 cup 2’s and swapping halfway through their life is a great plan, then I’ll just sell the set of tires and go with the PS4S tires.
Sponsored