Sponsored

GT350R carbon fiber wheels performance data

asphal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Really interesting performance data on the CF wheels versus aluminum. The acceleration time differences alone :hail:

Tested: Quantifying the Performance Benefits of the Shelby GT350R’s Carbon-Fiber Wheels

After Fred Flintstone started us rolling, mankind advanced the cause of mobility with wheels made of wood, of spokes, and of metals. Now, thanks to the migration of composites from aerospace to motor*sports to the assembly line, Ford’s Mustang Shelby GT350R is the first affordable car to fit carbon-fiber wheels as standard equipment.

Curb impacts and pothole strikes can destroy steel wheels. While even a small crack in an aluminum wheel can grow during continued use, carbon-fiber wheels are not susceptible to fatigue failure. Minor surface rash can be repaired with standard painting methods.

In doing so, Ford shaves 58 pounds from the GT350, even though the R’s rubber and rims are wider. It’s hard to imagine that the mass of a bag and a half of dog food would radically alter performance, but when we tested the identically powerful GT350 and GT350R, we noted a surprising difference in their acceleration times. Then we remembered that each wheel-and-tire assembly is effectively a flywheel that impedes acceleration and hampers braking. So we set out to isolate just how significant that weight savings is. The GT350’s aluminum wheels are wrapped in Michelin Pilot Super Sports, while the R’s carbon-fiber rollers wear stickier Pilot Sport Cup 2s. To remove traction differences from the equation, we conducted only rolling-start acceleration tests. We tested the R both stock and with the additional rolling inertia of the GT350’s heavier wheels and tires. Here’s what we found:

GT350R Wheels Test.jpg.png

How They’re Made

GT350R wheelmaker Carbon Revolution starts with carbon-fiber tow (thousands of twisted strands) long enough to lap Earth twice. It places fiber preforms and woven fabric inside a mold with foam cores to fill the spokes, then injects resin, applies a vacuum, and cures the composite in a pressurized oven. Center, lug, and valve-stem holes are drilled, followed by a second cure and painting. Finally, Carbon Revolution fits anodized-aluminum center and lug-seat inserts.

Butterfly Effect

It’s not just the GT350R’s straight-line performance that benefits from lighter wheels. Because wheels are unsprung weight—supported by the road, not the suspension—their upward motion over bumps disturbs tire *adhesion. The lighter the wheel, therefore, the better the motion control and grip. As a bonus, carbon fiber boasts a tensile strength 13 times that of aluminum.

The performance impact of wheels so much lighter and stronger ripples through the whole suspension system. Adam Wirth, Ford Performance chassis supervisor, reveals: “We installed firmer suspension bushings and larger anti-roll bars. Best results were achieved with significantly stiffer springs and additional damping in track mode. We also fine-tuned traction control, ABS, and stability controls. It was significantly more work than we expected, but we achieved major perform*ance dividends, lighter steering effort, even a deeper tone in response to impacts.”
Sponsored

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Numbers aren't that accurate since there is a difference in diameter/ tire height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP

asphal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Numbers aren't that accurate since there is a difference in diameter/ tire height.

True but i think the point was to compare the CF and alum wheels available for the GT350 and R. That's really the data most people will care about anyhow.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Agreed the comparison is skewed when the R wheels are a full inch shorter. Would need the same exact tires on each set of wheels to get a true measure of the weight deltas

Sponsored

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
True but i think the point was to compare the CF and alum wheels available for the GT350 and R. That's really the data most people will care about anyhow.

Not really. They care about the performance advantages.

Chetly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Z06
And the performance advantage is more from the tire compound and height more than it is the weight. A short, grippy light weight tire will out accelerate/decelerate a taller, less grippy heavy tire. To get the performance advantage of the carbon wheels and the carbon wheels alone tires would have to be same tire, same height.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
And the performance advantage is more from the tire compound and height more than it is the weight. A short, grippy light weight tire will out accelerate/decelerate a taller, less grippy heavy tire. To get the performance advantage of the carbon wheels and the carbon wheels alone tires would have to be same tire, same height.
I disagree. It takes more work to manipulate the weight differences that a 1/2" off radius.

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
I disagree. It takes more work to manipulate the weight differences that a 1/2" off radius.
Correct and race teams have been doing the math on lighter wheels for how many years? Since mag wheels in the 1950's - so that's about 66 years.

People will hate until their eyes bleed. Just a quick google search finds so much great info. This is just like having lighter rotors and drive shafts and the benefit in acceleration from lighter rotating mass.

Same tire sizes in this comparo:
http://www.hotrod.com/cars/project-vehicles/116-9905-light-vs-heavy-wheels-comparison/

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't really care to post physics formulas proving my thoughts but you can't beat lowering unsprung weight and weight reduction in the periphery of a wheel.

A suspension (bars, control arms, A arms, coils, shocks, etc...) responds much more briskly and effectively with lighter equipment.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT

Exactly 100%

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT

There is definitely a performance advantage in lighter wheels, I've experienced it myself with just minimal weight savings per wheel.

But to get a true comparison, you would need a tire of equal height. Slap a set of drag radials on both sets and do a comparison. You'll have equal grip and height if same tire.

Bullitt2065

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
With the two wheels having different tires (one significantly stickier than the other), these numbers are basically meaningless. Sure, they attempted to even the playing field, but they really need them to have the same tires to make a true comparison.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree that the comparison above does not correlate true scientifically reliable data, but physics is physics... Even if they sport cupped both wheels the R wheel would still outperform the aluminum wheel by the sheer physics of weight reduction period.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I don't really care to post physics formulas proving my thoughts but you can't beat lowering unsprung weight and weight reduction in the periphery of a wheel.

A suspension (bars, control arms, A arms, coils, shocks, etc...) responds much more briskly and effectively with lighter equipment.
No physics needed, no one is denying that less weight is better, simply saying the data is convoluted since its not purely a weight difference. Running a 1" shorter tire is pure mechanical advantage and thus helps acceleration, in this case its like running a 3.87 rear end vs the 3.73. Not a huge difference,but enough to make an impact on this data.
Sponsored