Sponsored

GT350/R or C7 GS/Z06

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
what changed in the manual tranny from the 15-16? yes, i'm being lazy, sorry
Manual didn't change, they just don't overheat as much like the A8.

But, the 17 models have a taller supercharger lid to help with the cooling and something else I forgot.
Sponsored

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst

But, the 17 models have a taller supercharger lid to help with the cooling and something else I forgot.
The 17+ are the models to get for sure. Maybe even 17+ AND 2LZ/2LT and up too.

z31maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
As tempting as the A8 would be for sheer drag race times, I would get the manual. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve read anyone going into limp mode on the track with a manual Z.
You also have to remember if someone isn't fast, they aren't going to overheat the car.

If you're out in a GT350/Z06, etc, and you aren't matching or beating at least Spec Miata times.........you're going to be able to run until the tank is empty without worrying about overheating the car.

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
You also have to remember if someone isn't fast, they aren't going to overheat the car.

If you're out in a GT350/Z06, etc, and you aren't matching or beating at least Spec Miata times.........you're going to be able to run until the tank is empty without worrying about overheating the car.
Depends which GT350 model. I am one of the slowest on track and overheated my transmission after the 4th lap at Laguna Seca. Never overheated on the streets though.

Sponsored

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst

Uhh, spec miata times are slow. :lol:

They only seem fast if you are racing other spec miatas.

I do agree with you on being fast = higher temps. I was passing Miatas in my Viper at Laguna Seca, but wasnt getting close to the temps vipers make in that track which is close to 240F. I was 220F. Then again a pro driven Viper laps LS @ 1:35/1:34.
Spec miata's lap record is 1:45 (thats the record).

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)
If you think for a minute that you'd have "R" envy, then I would suggest getting the R with no regrets later. A GT350 will never be an R no matter how much you think it would fit the bill. And I speak from experience.
The first new car I bought was a WRX. I cheapened out on the extra $7k for the STI and regretted it within a week of ownership. STI envy was real. And you are right, no matter what mods you do to the car it will never be an STI or a GT350R. I was never happy with the decision and got rid of the car a year later.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R

I remeber reading on CF that the bricks are tilted forward as well.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Yeah my ā€˜16 manual C7 Z06 had reliability issues on the track when driven harder... whether it was high oil temps or heat soak it resulted in limp mode after 15mins on the track. GM voluntarily bought it back but it wasnā€™t easy. The process took awhile. Buyer beware when it comes to the pre-2017 models. If I was getting one now Iā€™d shoot for a new MY2018 at a minimum, whether GS or Z06. Iā€™m waiting to see how the new ZR1 will fare... a minimal optioned one would be tempting for me.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
^Im more interested in the new C8 after all the CAD leaks. That may be the only thing that would get me out of my R....that or my wife telling me that sheā€™s pregnant with triplets.

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
The first new car I bought was a WRX. I cheapened out on the extra $7k for the STI and regretted it within a week of ownership. STI envy was real. And you are right, no matter what mods you do to the car it will never be an STI or a GT350R. I was never happy with the decision and got rid of the car a year later.
Well you could as far as I know turn a gt350 into a R. You can't turn a wrx into a sti well not as easily

Get the Areo, remove the seats, lighter wheels, and a rear sway?

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Yeah my ā€˜16 manual C7 Z06 had reliability issues on the track when driven harder... whether it was high oil temps or heat soak it resulted in limp mode after 15mins on the track. GM voluntarily bought it back but it wasnā€™t easy. The process took awhile. Buyer beware when it comes to the pre-2017 models. If I was getting one now Iā€™d shoot for a new MY2018 at a minimum, whether GS or Z06. Iā€™m waiting to see how the new ZR1 will fare... a minimal optioned one would be tempting for me.
What were you thoughts on the C7Z on the street?

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
What were you thoughts on the C7Z on the street?
No issues on street driving... no issues on spirited runs neither. If anything it's tons of power (torque) so throttle management is important in order to avoid spinning out or losing control. It's plenty of power for our public roads... IMO overpowered so to speak.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
^Im looking forward to your review of the ZR1 as Iā€™m fairly confident you will have one find its way into your garage.

P.S. I noticed the ACR-E is no longer in your sig... whatā€™s the story on that?
Sponsored