Sponsored

GT350 - Is it safe to Supercharge (Whipple)

Ericdr67

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford GT350
I just bought a 2017 GT350 with 6,000 miles on it. I would like to supercharge it (Whipple) but wanted to see if anyone else has done this. If so what other mods did you do along with it and how many miles have you put on the car since add the supercharger? Have you had any issues.

This is the build I would be doing through Steeda. Let me know your thoughts.

Besides the Supercharger, would be doing the Steeda chassis and suspension upgrade.

Steeda two-point G-Trac brace

Moroso billet oil separator

Steeda IRS subframe brace kit

Steeda IRS alignment kit

Steeda IRS camber arm brackets

Steeda IRS adjustable rear toe link

Steeda IRS billet aluminum vertical links

Steeda camber plates
Steeda MagneRide Dual Rate Ultimate Handling Lowering Springs

Steeda front and rear sway bars

Steeda clutch helper spring

OPG as well.
Sponsored

Tish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT coupe
Safe Yes.Good idea No.It will become an unbalnced car and no longer be the drivers car it was meant to be.

OP
OP

Ericdr67

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford GT350
Safe Yes.Good idea No.It will become an unbalnced car and no longer be the drivers car it was meant to be.
Thanks for the feedback. I am not sure how much 150lbs would throw off the handling especially with all the suspension work that I would be doing with it.

Tish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT coupe
I know of two local guys that went that route and now hate there cars.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I would strongly recommend against forced induction on the Voodoo, for various reasons.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ericdr67

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford GT350
I know of two local guys that went that route and now hate there cars.
Why do they hate them now? Do they go to the track? Did they have suspension week done as well?

Tish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT coupe
They expected a great driving/handling powerful car and obtained none of the above.They get beat by automatic Mustang GT's at the drag strip and the cars understeer terribly even with suspension upgrades.The GT350 is a great car as is and is not a good platform to supercharge in my opinion.I have had 3 GT500's and they we great straight line cars no matter what suspension mods were done but couldn't or stop or turn to save your life.The GT350's are a drivers car and should be appreciated for that.

OP
OP

Ericdr67

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford GT350
They expected a great driving/handling powerful car and obtained none of the above.They get beat by automatic Mustang GT's at the drag strip and the cars understeer terribly even with suspension upgrades.The GT350 is a great car as is and is not a good platform to supercharge in my opinion.I have had 3 GT500's and they we great straight line cars no matter what suspension mods were done but couldn't or stop or turn to save your life.The GT350's are a drivers car and should be appreciated for that.
Automatic GT's with what? If they are stock then the drivers can't drive their GT350's. What RWHP are they getting with their supercharged GT350's? I would be looking at 770Rwhp. The GT500's were a different beast and totally different then the GT350's. If they are dragging the GT350's they should like the extra power, if they were running on the track I think they may have a better argument.

Sponsored

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
They are way over priced, plus work is questionable. Read about them throughout the mustsng forums.
I'm not saying they are the ones to do it, but if you go to their page and search the forums you get some first hand reviews of S/C GT350.

OP
OP

Ericdr67

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford GT350
I'm not saying they are the ones to do it, but if you go to their page and search the forums you get some first hand reviews of S/C GT350.
Got you, will check them out. Thanks

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
How do you entend to use the car? There is plenty of boosted 350s out there. Comparing a solid axle gt500 to a 350 is a moot point. If your more of a drag strip guy. Go for it. If your a corner carver. There is such a thing as to much power.

Tish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT coupe
My point was not to compare the GT350 to the GT500's but to explain the unbalanced effect the added weight has on the front end of the 2 cars.
On the drag strip the GT350 or manuel transmission GT's are not keeping up with the automatics with the same mods from bone stock ( as I 11.78 on street tires + 11.41 on drag radials and others have proven) to Super/Turbocharged.Show me a GT350 that is running anywhere near what the 15/19 GT's are running ( 9.xx on the drag strip as there may be 1 Gt350 to every 150 GT's doing so.
On a road course the GT350 does not need any more HP to be fun and or competitive and they are usually hindered by the driver and not the power.
If you want to S/C your GT350 for top speed on the highway then have fun but that is not were it should be used in my book.
You asked if it was safe and I replied Yes when done right as with any car.Maybe I should not have offered my opinion as why I would not do it.
I wanted a fun quick car to drive + mod + drag race at the track and that is why after having 3 GT500's which ran in the 9's on 1/4 mile banging the gears I decided to go with a Mustang GT (I have had a 2015 coupe a 2016 vert and now a 2019 coupe) I did not buy a GT350 because it is not what I was looking for in a Mustang.
Sponsored