Sponsored

Gt305r wheel studs

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I know this is a really old thread, but I am in the process of doing this exact install on my non-R after buying some R wheels from a fellow member here on the site. It sounds like the fronts are relatively easy, but the rears require a little more work.

I found a very helpful thread post here for the rears https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/gt350-rear-wheel-hub-removal.86031/

I am about to order the front and rear R hubs from Ford, but it looks like the spindle nut and 4 hub bolts are TTY or throwaway and will need to be replaced new. Does anyone know if these are provided with the hubs when you buy them or are they purchased separately. If they are separate, does anyone know off hand the part numbers?

Also, I plan on doing these installs myself, while Im not the master mechanic, I'm confident i can do it just fine. Are there any tips or tricks that i should be aware of when installing these? i.e. Lubrication, locktite, special tools, etc...

Thanks in advance guys!
@JAJ @VoodooStang
Here's the story

Fronts - bolts are separate, don't come with hubs. New thread locker is why you replace them, so you could locktite the originals instead. Your call. Also, the notion that you could just use ARP studs works for the rears but not the fronts - the longest ARP studs are too short by 1/2".

To re and re the fronts is relatively easy if you have the right tools. A 3/8" drive torque wrench that goes to 100 ft-lbs is best - it can be done with a 1/2 drive but it's challenging because the back bolts are in a confined space. From there, basically every bolt (of the four) works best with a different 18mm wrench. The front bolts are open and can be undone with a regular socket (upper) or deep socket (lower). The rear ones work best with a box-end wrench - I use a long reach 18mm to break them free and a gearwrench to remove them. You can use a crowfoot socket but you have to be careful that it doesn't slip off and round the bolt head.

First step on the front is to remove and hang the calipers out of the way and take the rotors off. If you have Caliperfexion caliper studs, remove them because they'll get in the way. I turn the steering wheel all the way to the stop one way and remove the two forward bolts on one side and two back bolts on the other. Then turn to the other stop and do the rest. Clean up the opening in the knuckle and install the new hubs in the reverse order to removing them. Torque to 98 ft-lbs.

Rears - they're a lot of work if you have the right tools, pretty much impossible if you don't. Same story as with the bolts at the front - locktite is an option. You'll need a 32 mm socket and a breaker bar handle and a piece of pipe to torque the axle nut. The torque spec is 98 ft-lbs followed by a further twist of 45 degrees. Turning that 45 degrees is where you'll need the breaker bar with a pipe on the handle. Replace the nuts - don't reuse them.

As the pictures show on the other thread, the first step is to leave the handbrake on, remove the axle nut and push the end of the half-shaft back until it's loose. Use the special pusher tool (OTC 7208A) in the picture - it's cheap and it's very useful as you get into the job. Don’t forget to release the handbrake after the nut’s off.

The first obstacle that comes after taking the nuts off is getting the caliper off. The parking brake fittings shroud the caliper mounting bolts so the cable has to be disconnected and removed from the fittings first. I use a special pair of pliers (TEKTON 34435) with a loop at the end to push up on the parking brake spring and then apply a pry bar to flip the fitting off the brake lever. Once the cable's unhooked, you need a special tool (Lisle 40750) for removing the ferrule from the top of the bracket – it slips in underneath and closes the fingers that lock the fitting in place allowing you to just pull it up and remove it.

Once the cable’s out of the way, remove the two caliper bolts (18mm) and hang the caliper out of the way. Remove the rotor.

Getting the hub off the knuckle is challenging but again, patience will get it done. All of the bolts (18mm) are shrouded, some more than others. The main obstacle is the boot on the half-shaft, so put the pusher tool back on and push the half-shaft back out of the spline as far as it comfortably goes. I just do it finger tight - you’re doing this to create space to work behind the knuckle and you don’t want to damage the half-shaft or the boot. Again, you’ll need different wrenches for each bolt – a super-short 3/8” drive extension is very handy for some of them. Take the easiest ones out first, then start backing out the harder ones. As they come out, allow the hub to move away from the knuckle and adjust the pusher tool to keep the space clear.

Once the bolts are all out, the hub just comes off and you’re ready to install the new one. Clean up the area first, then reverse the order that you used to disassemble and put it back together. Torque is also 98 ft-lbs for the hub bolts and 85 ft-lbs for the brake caliper mounting bolts.
Sponsored

dewmsEleanor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Here's the story

Fronts - bolts are separate, don't come with hubs. New thread locker is why you replace them, so you could locktite the originals instead....
Thank you so so much for these detailed instructions. Seems there are a lot of nuances to doing the back, which I was kind of expecting. Time to start gathering and preparing for a fun weekend of car work.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Thank you so so much for these detailed instructions. Seems there are a lot of nuances to doing the back, which I was kind of expecting. Time to start gathering and preparing for a fun weekend of car work.
No problem - you're welcome - I've done rears twice already because the first set of replacement hubs were defective from Ford. I change the fronts on a seasonal basis, so it's not a lot more work (now that I have the right tools) than changing brake pads. By the way, if you haven't replaced your front caliper bolts, you'll need a Torx T60 bit to get the calipers off - torque is 136 ft-lbs.

dewmsEleanor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
No problem - you're welcome - I've done rears twice already because the first set of replacement hubs were defective from Ford. I change the fronts on a seasonal basis, so it's not a lot more work (now that I have the right tools) than changing brake pads. By the way, if you haven't replaced your front caliper bolts, you'll need a Torx T60 bit to get the calipers off - torque is 136 ft-lbs.
Totally, it will be nice to have the tools around anyways if I need to replace them again, esp since I'm tracking the car. I've changed the pads once all the way around, so a little experience there. Really appreciate the help, I want to make sure this install goes right, especially on this car, I don't want to f*** it up.

Also, the brake caliper bolts are throw away bolts like the hub bolts, is this only because of the locktite? I think I read somewhere they were torque-to-yield and that's why they need to be replaced? Torque-to-yield is a new concept to me and hopefully I'm not being too ignorant on the subject.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Totally, it will be nice to have the tools around anyways if I need to replace them again, esp since I'm tracking the car. I've changed the pads once all the way around, so a little experience there. Really appreciate the help, I want to make sure this install goes right, especially on this car, I don't want to f*** it up.

Also, the brake caliper bolts are throw away bolts like the hub bolts, is this only because of the locktite? I think I read somewhere they were torque-to-yield and that's why they need to be replaced? Torque-to-yield is a new concept to me and hopefully I'm not being too ignorant on the subject.
The main requirement for success is patience, which means giving yourself time to get the work done.

Ford says that all of the suspension and brake fasteners are one-time use because they want you to have fresh thread locker. Used fasteners will have some remnants of used locker on them, but new ones come from Ford with fresh thread locker pre-applied on them and they'll deliver the same performance as the factory installed parts. As for torque-to-yield, none of the fasteners you encounter are TTY. TTY fastners are mostly used in the driveline - main bearing and rod bearing caps, for instance. If you have the service manual or a Motorcraft service subscription, it's very clear when a fastener is TTY - there's a note like this one from the Engine section: "NOTICE: The cylinder head bolts must be discarded and new bolts must be installed. They are a tighten-to-yield design and cannot be reused." None of the suspension fasteners you're dealing with have a note like that.

By the way, speaking of maintenance manuals, it's worth a few ($21.95) bucks to buy a 72 hour subscription to the motorcraftservice.com website to get access to the latest service manual info for your car. You bung in your VIN and you get a list of all the TSB's and other service info, as well as the full shop manual and electrical diagrams. Very helpful when you're taking on a new project.

Sponsored

dewmsEleanor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
The main requirement for success is patience, which means giving yourself time to get the work done....
Thanks for the education and suggestions. Only question i have left is in terms of lubrication. I know the manual and service steps don't explicitly state it, but is there any lubrication I need, such as when i put the half shaft back into the hub, or something along those lines?

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Thanks for the education and suggestions. Only question i have left is in terms of lubrication. I know the manual and service steps don't explicitly state it, but is there any lubrication I need, such as when i put the half shaft back into the hub, or something along those lines?
Craft beer or maybe bourbon would be my recommendations, to be used sparingly and carefully after the work's done.

The hub and spline is assembled dry. Unless it's rusted up, the spline will "pop" loose with a little torque on the pusher tool and after that it just slides in or out without a lot of effort. Make sure it's clean when you put it back together. I suppose you could put a little WD40 on it to prevent corrosion, but it doesn't need lubrication. The torque spec with the 45 degree twist will make sure it's tight - it probably gets up to around 400 or 500 ft-lbs by the time you're done.
Sponsored