Sponsored

GT Brembo Brake Pad Advice

StrongFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, MT, Deep Impact Blue, 401A
I have the Powerstop Z23 front kit with drilled and slotted rotors. They do not squeal and they're low dust, but they are also low initial bite. They stop, but more gradually than putting the car on it's nose.

They've only been on the car a few weeks and few hundred miles. I had one HPDE track day about 1 week after installing. The brakes now seem to have a hum or buzz feel in the brake pedal on the street. Is this a trait of slotted rotors? Did I buy the wrong pads for my use? Are they not fully broken in? I did follow the break-in instructions on day one.

I've been eyeballing OPMustang's Brembo upgrade kit, but I'm not too sure if a full upgrade is justifiable.

Thanks.
IMG_3484zoon.jpg
Sponsored

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Z23's have very little to no metallic in them so they are not designed for track use. These pads are for street use, they have a low temperature range for street use. A $50.00 brake pad does not have much to offer for track use in a 3600-4000 pound vehicle. You likely just got them very hot and the pad material is causing the issue. If you sand the rotors with 80 grit paper and inspect the pads (sand themif you see shiny spots - glazing) you should be good. We would recommend a dedicated track pad for HPDE's.

StrongFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, MT, Deep Impact Blue, 401A
Z23's have very little to no metallic in them so they are not designed for track use. These pads are for street use, they have a low temperature range for street use. A $50.00 brake pad does not have much to offer for track use in a 3600-4000 pound vehicle. You likely just got them very hot and the pad material is causing the issue. If you sand the rotors with 80 grit paper and inspect the pads (sand themif you see shiny spots - glazing) you should be good. We would recommend a dedicated track pad for HPDE's.
Thanks for the feedback. I pulled the pads last weekend to inspect and they were definitely glossy and shiny. I did not sand them, I'll give that a try!

Sera550

#5pointohmy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
Just to give some other experience, I have a 16 PP car and my fronts squeal sometimes. Usually when it's humid out, more so when it's humid and cold. Not sure where you guys all live but I'm by a California beach which baffles me even more. My clutch has been susceptible to humidity as well.

kn7671

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have the Powerstop Z23 front kit with drilled and slotted rotors. They do not squeal and they're low dust, but they are also low initial bite. They stop, but more gradually than putting the car on it's nose.

They've only been on the car a few weeks and few hundred miles. I had one HPDE track day about 1 week after installing. The brakes now seem to have a hum or buzz feel in the brake pedal on the street. Is this a trait of slotted rotors? Did I buy the wrong pads for my use? Are they not fully broken in? I did follow the break-in instructions on day one.

I've been eyeballing OPMustang's Brembo upgrade kit, but I'm not too sure if a full upgrade is justifiable.

Thanks.
Yes, many slotted rotors, especially the large wide slots that go from edge to edge, will make a little noise, and you will likely feel this in the pedal.

OEM cars that come with slotted brakes usually have very small and narrow slots, and are not usually done in a manner that has a single straight slot from end to end.

Lastly - here is a warning from EBC regarding slotted brake rotors: "All slotted rotors increase in air noise as the rotor passes beneath the pads under normal driving and braking"

Here are some examples of non-aggressive brake slotting that I'm referring to:

Sponsored

kn7671

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
OP - To the brake squealing issue, there are hundreds and hundreds of threads and replies on just about every automotive forum regarding performance brakes and squealing. Even with Ceramics, noise can still occur, though with Ceramic pads you give up lots of braking power.

What most people don't know is that new brake pads and rotors could take 1000+ miles to fully break-in. The initial bedding and/or burnishing procedures just get you started so they will actually "work" when you hit the brakes for the first time -vs- providing a dead pedal feel with perceived fade, but is actually just two parts not fully broken-in allowing a good flat seating of the pads on the rotors.