Sponsored

GT Base model (ecoboost) brake o ring?

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
1000002808.jpg

I'm what you call an idiot. I undid the bolts to the caliper. Now they're splitting on this came out. Any idea on what this is, where it goes to, and how to get it on?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone have a diagram or video to help me out?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
I undid the bolts to the caliper. Now they're splitting on this came out.
Hello; Need some more information or more pictures. Sound as tho you have in addition to removing the calipers from the mounting brackets also "split" the calipers open for some reason.
If it is soft or rubbery then some sort of seal. If metal then some sort of washer.

If a copper/brass sort of metal, then may be the sort of seal that goes on a banjo fitting. If the calipers have opposing pistons (pistons on opposite side of a rotor) then the brake fluid has to pass thru to both sides of the caliper. So, between the caliper halves there will need to be some sort of sealing. That is my WAG.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello; Need some more information or more pictures. Sound as tho you have in addition to removing the calipers from the mounting brackets also "split" the calipers open for some reason.
If it is soft or rubbery then some sort of seal. If metal then some sort of washer.

If a copper/brass sort of metal, then may be the sort of seal that goes on a banjo fitting. If the calipers have opposing pistons (pistons on opposite side of a rotor) then the brake fluid has to pass thru to both sides of the caliper. So, between the caliper halves there will need to be some sort of sealing. That is my WAG.
It's soft and rubber like. Definitely a malleable o ring. The caliper is not longer leaking but I did not reinstall this o ring because I don't know where it goes exactly. Do you happen to have a diagram or anything specific to this brake caliper to help me know where to place it?

Also, if I open the caliper again, it will start leaking. Is that my only option to reinstall this? Buying DOT3 fluid isn't an issue; I do not want to make a mess.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
It's soft and rubber like. Definitely a malleable o ring. The caliper is not longer leaking but I did not reinstall this o ring because I don't know where it goes exactly. Do you happen to have a diagram or anything specific to this brake caliper to help me know where to place it?

Also, if I open the caliper again, it will start leaking. Is that my only option to reinstall this? Buying DOT3 fluid isn't an issue; I do not want to make a mess.
Hello; Some information missing. Did you rebuild the caliper with new parts perhaps? If so then this gasket/seal may have already been replaced with new parts.
As far as making a mess, such is part of a brake job. On a recent brake job I replaced two calipers with new ones. Had the job finished and one of the new calipers leaked. So had to re do half the job.

Here is a bit of advice. You are working on brake parts. Not a situation in which to be confused very much. A safety thing for you and others on the road in Arizona. Leaving out a brake part can be serious. If you are lucky that part is outside the high-pressure circuits of the brakes. Maybe a simple gasket to keep dirt out of external sliding parts.
More simple calipers slide on lubricated pins and do have rubber type boots to seal the dirt and moisture out. If your mystery part is such a seal then the risk is lowered. The caliper will eventually jam up and you will likely have a stuck caliper.

I have not worked on a 2016 Mustang nor a 2012 Corolla personally so perhaps you should wait for advice from others with direct experience. Sorry for not being more helpful and good luck.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is not a rebuild. I suspect it is a dust o ring based on what I know and have read online from other brake caliper diagrams. The leaking has stopped since I bolted the caliper back together. It's the bottom dust o ring but I can't find a video or diagram anywhere telling me where it goes.

Based on o ring kits, the boots and seals are all fine except this one that fell out.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For anyone rebuilding (or idiots like me), here is a diagram from Napa Auto. There's 3 bolts to the caliper of different sizes. There are also boots and o rings that appear to be brake dust sealers. Then of course the brake fluid o rings to the Phenolic pistons. YOU CANNOT USE STEEL AS A SUBSTITUTE TO PHENOLIC.

As for me, I need to crack open the caliber again and finger the o ring back into place on the bottom. I heard you should bleed the brakes. Not sure why if it's for dust.

Anyone have ideas?

image001(1).png

image002.png

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport

BTW, just so you know, it's not DOT 3 fluid but DOT 4 fluid is what should be in your system.
Sponsored