Sponsored

Grinding noise on 2nd and 4th gear

PatM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
... Update ...

Ok, visited my dealer today and test drove it. The guy said that he could clearly hear the noise coming from the trans and that this is not normal at all (I do have 1000k on it ...). I also only need to press the shifter very slightly to the left in 2nd gear and the noise level is at least five times as high (same noise just more pronounced). Now I additionally have some very slight metallic "banging" when idling which I can also clearly feel in the shifter. So things seem to get worse ...

They also ordered a new driveshaft for my car as I complained about the clunking earlier, but I told them to contact Ford first regarding the trans before starting double work (think the best would be to just exchange the trans and check and adjust all the play specs of the drivetrain to prevent future damage). Also told them that replacing the driveshaft makes no sense at all if not checking the play on the diff and trans to be in spec.

In general, I would recommend everyone with this kind of grinding noise to visit the dealer. From an engineering perspective this is not normal at all. Also, the whole drivetrain contributes to the problem if the play is way out of spec because of the elevated mechanical stress on both, trans and diff.

Wait for feedback now, try to keep you guys updated.
Sponsored

Lazyitis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
GT
Ok, visited my dealer today and test drove it. The guy said that he could clearly hear the noise coming from the trans and that this is not normal at all (I do have 1000k on it ...). I also only need to press the shifter very slightly to the left in 2nd gear and the noise level is at least five times as high (same noise just more pronounced). Now I additionally have some very slight metallic "banging" when idling which I can also clearly feel in the shifter. So things seem to get worse ...

They also ordered a new driveshaft for my car as I complained about the clunking earlier, but I told them to contact Ford first regarding the trans before starting double work (think the best would be to just exchange the trans and check and adjust all the play specs of the drivetrain to prevent future damage). Also told them that replacing the driveshaft makes no sense at all if not checking the play on the diff and trans to be in spec.

In general, I would recommend everyone with this kind of grinding noise to visit the dealer. From an engineering perspective this is not normal at all. Also, the whole drivetrain contributes to the problem if the play is way out of spec because of the elevated mechanical stress on both, trans and diff.

Wait for feedback now, try to keep you guys updated.
Thanks for the update. I am taking mine in tomorrow and will be taking a printout of this with me. I have the "clunk" too but that isn't at all uncommon. Funny, I also have a Barton waiting for install but it certainly isn't going on until this is sorted out.

PatM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Thanks for the update. I am taking mine in tomorrow and will be taking a printout of this with me. I have the "clunk" too but that isn't at all uncommon. Funny, I also have a Barton waiting for install but it certainly isn't going on until this is sorted out.
You are right, the clunk in general is not uncommon and some play is indeed required as a stiff mounting would wear out either trans or diff very quickly. However, if the play is way over spec (and some experienced this ...) this, besides the elevated clunk noise, could be critical. The reason is that the driveshaft is either accelerated or decelerated during shifts. Now you can easily imagine that the final rotary speed with increased play is much higher ... louder clunk ... but more importantly higher mechanical impact on both, trans and diff (and the driveshaft of course ... which would not be a huge problem but as we have a two piece driveshaft this also slightly impacts the U-joints). So for all saying/praying this is normal, agreed, but only to a certain extend (that's what the specs are for ...).

However, wish you all the best for tomorrow. Curios what they say and .... do.

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Have to say I did notice mine was a little clunky when I last drove it, I just put that down to things loosening up, I've only got 60 miles on the clock.

Last edited:

Lazyitis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
GT
You are right, the clunk in general is not uncommon and some play is indeed required as a stiff mounting would wear out either trans or diff very quickly. However, if the play is way over spec (and some experienced this ...) this, besides the elevated clunk noise, could be critical. The reason is that the driveshaft is either accelerated or decelerated during shifts. Now you can easily imagine that the final rotary speed with increased play is much higher ... louder clunk ... but more importantly higher mechanical impact on both, trans and diff (and the driveshaft of course ... which would not be a huge problem but as we have a two piece driveshaft this also slightly impacts the U-joints). So for all saying/praying this is normal, agreed, but only to a certain extend (that's what the specs are for ...).

However, wish you all the best for tomorrow. Curios what they say and .... do.
Not a lot so far. The salesman is keeping me sweet and came out with me to listen. Needless to say in urban traffic the noise failed to perform on demand but he heard enough to acknowledge that there was something not quite right and so it's now booked in for an investigation on the 16th. My missus as usual almost derailed things by stating that she couldn't hear a thing :doh:. This was apparently "lighthearted comment". Oh how I laughed...

Sponsored

PatM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Not a lot so far. The salesman is keeping me sweet and came out with me to listen. Needless to say in urban traffic the noise failed to perform on demand but he heard enough to acknowledge that there was something not quite right and so it's now booked in for an investigation on the 16th. My missus as usual almost derailed things by stating that she couldn't hear a thing :doh:. This was apparently "lighthearted comment". Oh how I laughed...
Gorgeous :thumbsup:, that is why you better do that without your better part or provide a detailed screen-play upfront :D. However, at least you got it filed and an appointment. Here it is more like "we call Ford and ask them what to do before we do anything ...". Btw, was not to easy for me either to convince my dealer guy to hear it as I did install a Magnaflow (Street) Catback a few weeks ago which also covered most of the noise. But I had the "push left in 2nd" joker to show him the general sound pattern and that helped. Still wait for the response though ... will keep you informed on the development.

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
Show her the scene in the Godfather with Sonny and The Don in the big meeting. " never let anyone outside of the family know what you're thinking"

PatM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Ok, after experiencing increased grinding/banging/clunking from the trans I called my dealer. Just feel not comfortable anymore driving this car as it is and I don't need the fun experience to end up on the Highway somewhere. So I will drop it off tomorrow and get a temporary one (let's see what that will be ...) until the Stang is fixed. Hopefully a "new" trans right away, don't wanna go into a second round with that :hail:.

TBC ...

OP
OP
comm

comm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vaclav
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Small update from me:

I changed transmission oil today, for BG's Syncro Shift II, but I can't tell the difference... :thumbdown: It sounds and shifts exactly the same as before.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
1100 miles, shifting has degraded as well. 1-3 very notchy and now 2-3 grinds or blocks me for a half second. This is all normal driving as I have not beaten on the car during the break in. Not enjoyable at all. Requires way to much concentration. Coming from a guy that has owned a manual STI,Wrangler sport,wrangler rubicon,Tacoma. Headed in Tuesday for a ride along.

Sponsored

PatM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Update ...

... got it back from my dealer yesterday. Told them upfront there is no need to exchange the driveshaft as it will not fix the problem ... guess what ... they called me and said they exchanged the driveshaft, I can pick her up and everything is totally fine now :doh:. When picking it up I asked the guy why there is trans fluid and additive listed and he bluntly told me that they had to re-fill the transmission as there is trans fluid leaking out of the trans when exchanging the driveshaft :frusty: :headbonk::cheers:. I thought it would be the best to not tell him what I think about that educated statement, so I took the key, turned around, took a ride around the block and ... brought it right back as of course nothing has changed at all. Still lots of clunking and grinding.

Now I got a test drive with the Service Manager in person and he could hear the clunking when shifting as well as the grinding between 2500 and 3500 rpm but told me the grinding to be normal. I told him that it is not and I do want his statement in written of course with a nice dealer stamp and signature and now he is contacting Ford in order to figure out what comes next.

I think maybe exchanging the wiper blades could be a good upcoming approach to fix the problem, but let's see and give them a chance.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I'll be watching this thread closely. Be nice to have an answer for "It's normal" response.

PatM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I'll be watching this thread closely. Be nice to have an answer for "It's normal" response.
From my experience everything is normal in the first place. Obviously this seems to work for most customers. I told them right away that I do need an explanation that is satisfying from an engineering perspective. Usually, I don't get this kind of explanation which is only telling me that they have no idea at all. The Stang is now in my garage waiting for next weeks' development, but I am not very optimistic that this will be resolved short term. However, I will not accept this for a new car at all.

PatM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Shift boot noise video ...

Just thought I add a short video (recorded with my smartphone today) showing the noise I got from the shift boot. This is 3rd gear at 3000 rpm. Think you can hear the strange grinding noise or whatever you wanna call it quite good ...

OP
OP
comm

comm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vaclav
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Well, I think it sounds worse than my Stang... I get similiar noise from 4th gear.

Just thought I add a short video (recorded with my smartphone today) showing the noise I got from the shift boot. This is 3rd gear at 3000 rpm. Think you can hear the strange grinding noise or whatever you wanna call it quite good ...

Sponsored