Sponsored

Grease splatter near rear wheel????

mikestangs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Anybody know where this grease might be coming from? I took my drivers side rear wheel off and can smell what smells like rear end grease. You can see it's splattered on what I think is the e-brake line and a bracket that's next to it. I've only got 15k miles on my car. Any ideas? See pics. Can't figure out how to rotate the first pic. Thanks!
IMG_0770.jpg
IMG_0771.jpg
Sponsored

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
The looks like it's in line with the CV boot. Is it in place and intact?

OP
OP
mikestangs

mikestangs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The looks like it's in line with the CV boot. Is it in place and intact?
I couldn't see anything obvious with the boot. I wonder if it has a split in the boot and its slinging grease as it spins? I would assume this is covered under warranty. I do have Sportlines so hopefully Ford won't blame it on the springs.

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I couldn't see anything obvious with the boot. I wonder if it has a split in the boot and its slinging grease as it spins? I would assume this is covered under warranty. I do have Sportlines so hopefully Ford won't blame it on the springs.
yup, seems like its the boot, and yes, they will blame it on the lowering springs smh

OP
OP
mikestangs

mikestangs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just crawled under the car and looked at the boot again and compared it to the passenger side. It definitely looks like the boot where the clamp is at isn't sitting as far toward the wheel as the passenger side is. So maybe the boot has slipped towards the center of the car and isn't sealed good at the boot clamp?

Sponsored

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I just crawled under the car and looked at the boot again and compared it to the passenger side. It definitely looks like the boot where the clamp is at isn't sitting as far toward the wheel as the passenger side is. So maybe the boot has slipped towards the center of the car and isn't sealed good at the boot clamp?
take it in, Id be very surprised if they didnt try to blame the suspension mods, but dont take it laying down, fight them on it, that needs fixed under warranty no questions asked

OP
OP
mikestangs

mikestangs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
take it in, Id be very surprised if they didnt try to blame the suspension mods, but dont take it laying down, fight them on it, that needs fixed under warranty no questions asked
After searching more around the forums, this seems to be a common problem. Planning to take it to the dealership this week.

Frozentroy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I have a bone stock 2018 with 880 miles on the clock and I have this exact issue left rear. I’m taking it in next week. No reason for me to post pictures as they would look identical. And just as an added bonus I picked up two nails in the right rear yesterday.

OP
OP
mikestangs

mikestangs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a bone stock 2018 with 880 miles on the clock and I have this exact issue left rear. I’m taking it in next week. No reason for me to post pictures as they would look identical. And just as an added bonus I picked up two nails in the right rear yesterday.
Congrats on the new Stang! Yea just take it back to your dealer and they'll fix it. The dealership fixed mine right up and never had any other issues. They replaced the axle shaft and boot.

Frozentroy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Well I thought I’d just update my information. Dropped her off last night to have them look at the left rear CV boot due to the massive amount of grease inside the wheel (And the first oil change since she’s just over 900 miles). They just called. Needs new axle as expected by the previous posts. However, I’m being told they are on back order and it will be “weeks” before they are able to get one. I waited two years for this car and it is truly amazing. But only being able to get 900 miles on it and now it sits in the shop for “weeks” is really frustrating.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
mikestangs

mikestangs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I thought I’d just update my information. Dropped her off last night to have them look at the left rear CV boot due to the massive amount of grease inside the wheel (And the first oil change since she’s just over 900 miles). They just called. Needs new axle as expected by the previous posts. However, I’m being told they are on back order and it will be “weeks” before they are able to get one. I waited two years for this car and it is truly amazing. But only being able to get 900 miles on it and now it sits in the shop for “weeks” is really frustrating.
They should give you the car back and call you when the parts are in. It won't hurt anything if it's just a pinhole in the boot, which is what mine was. It would be the same as if you hadn't noticed it until next month and took it in. Just a thought. You might ask the service advisor if it will hurt if you drive it until they get the part in. :shrug:

Frozentroy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
They should give you the car back and call you when the parts are in. It won't hurt anything if it's just a pinhole in the boot, which is what mine was. It would be the same as if you hadn't noticed it until next month and took it in. Just a thought. You might ask the service advisor if it will hurt if you drive it until they get the part in. :shrug:
There was a ton of grease in that wheel. I didn’t see the hole but I don’t know how there could be much left. I fortunately have other cars to drive so I’l let her sit. It’s just frustrating.
Sponsored