cmorris975

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Hey all,

I just purchased my first Mustang (base model V6) a few days ago, I love it already but want to get started on a few basic mods. I do not have any experience modding cars, or really with performance cars in general, but I figure I will get my feet wet with some minor weight saving stuff at first.

Can you guys recommend a good battery to get to replace the OEM one? My goal is to shave maybe 100 pounds off my cars' curb weight and then just drive the thing for a few thousand miles and get to know it/break it in. I already took out the spare for local driving but may put it back in if it starts to worry me (I have the tire inflator canned stuff and AAA at least). I'll most likely opt for the rear seat delete as well.

Also, can I run 91 octane gas safely if I want? Do I need to drain the tank of the 87 octane first? Pretty wet behind the ears on this stuff.

Thanks,

Chris
Sponsored

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 DIB, 2018 HD Iron 1200
If you look around here you'll see that the Ford mobility kit basically sucks and ruins your TPMS sensors. For using higher octane just fill it up a few times and by the third tank or so you'll be fine. If you want to do weight saving mods and don't see yourself using the rear seat, there are rear seat delete kits and that should go a ways towards your goal.

As far as cheap and effective mods people do cold air intakes (might saves few pounds there too), exhaust and a tune. You'll get the most benefit from a tune.

OP
OP
cmorris975

cmorris975

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
If you look around here you'll see that the Ford mobility kit basically sucks and ruins your TPMS sensors. For using higher octane just fill it up a few times and by the third tank or so you'll be fine. If you want to do weight saving mods and don't see yourself using the rear seat, there are rear seat delete kits and that should go a ways towards your goal.

As far as cheap and effective mods people do cold air intakes (might saves few pounds there too), exhaust and a tune. You'll get the most benefit from a tune.
Thanks guys.

So are you saying I should fill up the tank a few times with 87 octane and then I should be fine to switch to 91?

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys.

So are you saying I should fill up the tank a few times with 87 octane and then I should be fine to switch to 91?

There isn't much of a purpose in doing higher octane other than regular unless you are getting a tune. The tune is revised ECU programming with that changes the ignition timing, cam timiing etc. This produces more power but will require the higher octane fuel.

So if you just want to run the high octane fuel now without a tune, you can do that just keep filling it up with the desired octane. Eventually after a few fill ups you will have "flushed" the system of the low octane fuel.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cmorris975

cmorris975

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
There isn't much of a purpose in doing higher octane other than regular unless you are getting a tune. The tune is revised ECU programming with that changes the ignition timing, cam timiing etc. This produces more power but will require the higher octane fuel.

So if you just want to run the high octane fuel now without a tune, you can do that just keep filling it up with the desired octane. Eventually after a few fill ups you will have "flushed" the system of the low octane fuel.
Oh ok, got it! Good to know.

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
Slightly unrelated, but make sure you do plenty, and I do mean plenty, of research before you go and put parts on your car. Many people on this forum bought their new car and just threw parts at it because they saw others doing it and they did not do the research or have the experience they needed to mod a brand new car. Some of those guys had some serious regret for the mods they chose. Just be smart about it and learn before, not after as you are troubleshooting problems.

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
^ This is some good advice. Just take your time and enjoy it.

OP
OP
cmorris975

cmorris975

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Yeah, makes sense to be really cautious about this stuff. Can you guys recommend any good books on the subject?
Sponsored