Sponsored

Gen. 6 Mustang S550 for Dummies [Primer on news and rumors]

KZStang

Do you know how much heavier the Coyote 5.0 is than the Ecoboost 2.0?
2.0 EcoBoost I4 has a dry weight of 328lbs. Coyote 5.0 is 430lbs. Already 100lb weight distribution/savings there. Of course, this is not an apples to apples comparison. Doesn't account for any potential differences in tank capacity, etc.

groundnpounder

2.0 EcoBoost I4 has a dry weight of 328lbs. Coyote 5.0 is 430lbs. Already 100lb weight distribution/savings there. Of course, this is not an apples to apples comparison. Doesn't account for any potential differences in tank capacity, etc.
Intereting stat thanks for digging that up. That 100 pounds difference over the front axle can make a huge difference. I could see the 4 cylinder Mustang being a great handling car with better turn in and handling with that lighter front.

Example - my buddy has a new 328i that has a small turbo 4 cylinder and it feels like it handles better than a 335i with the heavier turbo 6 cylinder.

NRMStand

Intereting stat thanks for digging that up. That 100 pounds difference over the front axle can make a huge difference. I could see the 4 cylinder Mustang being a great handling car with better turn in and handling with that lighter front.
Definitely. Better weight distribution, lighter front end, better power-to-weight ratio, should all make for a car that's really fun to drive and probably very popular.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
:cool: what was added?
-New rumors suggest that the next GT500 will be a Coyote-based 5.0L twin turbo setup. Turbo lag will be addressed through special engineering.

-Recent rumors have also suggested that Ford will bring a new model to the table to compete with the new Z/28 from Chevy.

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
LOL at those who think at TT 5.0 is coming. Get real.

JackHoya

Not sure why a TT 5.0 is so far fetched in a very special SVT product based on the Cobra Jet concept... one that is not mass produced. What is stopping them from doing it exactly? Cost?

Sponsored

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
Not sure why a TT 5.0 is so far fetched in a very special SVT product based on the Cobra Jet concept... one that is not mass produced. What is stopping them from doing it exactly? Cost?
Just looking at the engine bay shots, it's apparent that a set of turbos doesn't have much room to go anywhere. Everyone expects an SVT car to have FI, but that hasn't always been the case. Slapping a pair of turbos on the 5.0 is the lazy rumor that seems to keep popping up, and never wanting to die.

Mach1

Just looking at the engine bay shots, it's apparent that a set of turbos doesn't have much room to go anywhere. Everyone expects an SVT car to have FI, but that hasn't always been the case. Slapping a pair of turbos on the 5.0 is the lazy rumor that seems to keep popping up, and never wanting to die.
Bound to happen eventually.....?

Anyway with that sloping hood, lower profile, I dont see how it can be done either. Would have to be in a totally different car and probably not one they could offer overseas.

KZStang

Bound to happen eventually.....?

Anyway with that sloping hood, lower profile, I dont see how it can be done either. Would have to be in a totally different car and probably not one they could offer overseas.
It can be done. It would require a ton of engineering and cost a fortune, but it can.

Previous TT rumors have been in respect to the S197 platform. Granted, the S550 by all accounts will likely have a smaller engine bay, but we have heard of the possibility of future Ford vehicles taking cues from older Ferrari designs by pulling the windshield angle and the A pillar really far forward to create more space under the windshield. It's an issue of space outside of the block for the turbos. This is where some clever (and expensive) engineering would have to come in.

So the issue is not fitting it into a current chassis, it is how much Ford is willing to re-engineer the new body to be capable of this sometime down the road. No doubt the new platform is meant to carry us 5-10 years into the future so the economics of this could be very different by then. It's a separate question that we'll leave to the Ford bean counters.

NRMStand

^^^
Yes, anything is possible with a redesign. Some people can't think outside the box of the S197 paradigm.

Ford has said in the past that they would not bring the TT5.0 to the GT500 because it would be too difficult to engineer. There is no room to mount the turbos on the outside of teh block where the exhaust currently resides. But there are ways around this.. yes rather costly ones. The issue is mainly heat. They could put the turbos in the valley of the block but the heat from the turbos would be so great that it could cause the hood to bubble. They could of course use some special heat shield, but it's costly and imperfect. Another way is to redesign the hood, raise the cowl, etc. While theyre at it, they would have to reverse the intake and exhaust flow so that the exhaust in the valley otherwise you may get some bad turbo lag due to the long travel of the exhaust ports to the turbos.

They would never do this in the current model, but with some of these tricks and the redesign of the A pillar as you said, it can be done. Working from the ground up in a diff platform is much easier than trying to rework the existing internals. Still I think the best way for them to improve power and perf is to decrease weight and better weight distribution.

DarkAgent10

One thing I can't see happening is an even higher displacement with the whole lineup going global. Unless they will sell diff engines here and abroad. Maybe a single turbo coyote....
Sponsored