Sponsored

Gap in starter mount (photo included)?

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I had a shop build and install a new engine based on a MAP stage 1 2.0 shortblock. While under the car I noticed there is about a 3/16" gap between the starter and the bell housing, as if there is a spacer plate missing. The other possibility is that the 2.0 block uses a different starter that mounts correctly? Can someone tell me what is wrong - is there a missing spacer plate of some sort, of do I need a different starter for the 2.0 block, or what? The photo shows the starter sitting up off of the bell housing as described.
Starter.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Not sure about the space seen there, definitely not correct ... However, there shouldn't be any fluid seeping or coming off the starter either, especially after a new build and R&R...

I would take it back to the place who did all the work and show them; they should fix it under warranty (if there was a warranty for parts/labor).

Nitrousfedlx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt pp/ 2015 Ford Escape
I had a shop build and install a new engine based on a MAP stage 1 2.0 shortblock. While under the car I noticed there is about a 3/16" gap between the starter and the bell housing, as if there is a spacer plate missing. The other possibility is that the 2.0 block uses a different starter that mounts correctly? Can someone tell me what is wrong - is there a missing spacer plate of some sort, of do I need a different starter for the 2.0 block, or what? The photo shows the starter sitting up off of the bell housing as described.
Starter.jpg
Just so u know to have them check out the stainless or aluminum clamp (about half way up in the picture) looks like it's not fastened and has an oil drip on it. I would expect them to back there work up 100%.

OP
OP

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Oil leak is why I was under the car in the first place, I also found three loose or missing bolts and think the oil pan is not sealed, I can't see the leak from the front of the pan because the steering module and rack/pinion is blocking my view but it wouldn't surprise me if the leak if from loose or missing oil pan bolt in front. It's a very long story but this shop - which I went to because he has a national reputation as a great Mustang shop but seems to specialize in Coyotes - has been awful to work with and he told me "no promises" when I told him he needed to fix the leak... after I've already paid him well over $6k. I'll give this another try but I'm not sure I want him touching this engine again, plus his shop is extremely busy and I don't want him keeping my car another month or more until he decides to get to it again. This whole situation is a real mess.

Nitrousfedlx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt pp/ 2015 Ford Escape
Oil leak is why I was under the car in the first place, I also found three loose or missing bolts and think the oil pan is not sealed, I can't see the leak from the front of the pan because the steering module and rack/pinion is blocking my view but it wouldn't surprise me if the leak if from loose or missing oil pan bolt in front. It's a very long story but this shop - which I went to because he has a national reputation as a great Mustang shop but seems to specialize in Coyotes - has been awful to work with and he told me "no promises" when I told him he needed to fix the leak... after I've already paid him well over $6k. I'll give this another try but I'm not sure I want him touching this engine again, plus his shop is extremely busy and I don't want him keeping my car another month or more until he decides to get to it again. This whole situation is a real mess.
Damn dude, sorry to hear that. I don't see how places like that stay open. That's such a terrible way to conduct business with customers especially dealing with that kinda money. Hope u get it all worked out man.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Wow, that's a real shame - sorry to hear you having to deal with a place like that especially after shelling out decent $$$.

If you can't get satisfaction - and if you paid via a Credit card, you should be able to call the CC company and refute the $$ as long as you have the proof to show why you're refuting (which you do). The only other course of action would be small claims court if no resolution is provided by the shop.
Sponsored