Sponsored

Gap between front fender vent trim and panel - normal?

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
I noticed this gap between the plastic trim that is inserted in the front fender vent and the rest of the fender panel (I do not remember this being there when car was new). Up top it seems that it still has some double sided trim tape but towards the bottom is totally detached. Is this normal?
IMG_0689.jpg
Sponsored

loco_GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Mine looks like that too. It think it has opened up over time as I don’t remember it being there either when I bought the car.

I understand others have it as well. The key is to make sure the plastic vent is not loose, if so then I would bring it to the dealer for a warranty fix.

OP
OP

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Mine looks like that too. It think it has opened up over time as I don’t remember it being there either when I bought the car.

I understand others have it as well. The key is to make sure the plastic vent is not loose, if so then I would bring it to the dealer for a warranty fix.
Thanks! Has anybody tried fixing it? In like remove and install back the plastic trim after replacing the double sided trim tape?

loco_GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the fix is to replace the double sided tape and I’m pretty sure I have read a post where someone did just that. For my car..... as long as the vent is solidly in place and not loose I am not going to mess with it.

OP
OP

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
I believe the fix is to replace the double sided tape and I’m pretty sure I have read a post where someone did just that. For my car..... as long as the vent is solidly in place and not loose I am not going to mess with it.
It makes sense. I would be curious to know how to take that piece of plastic off. I assume that you remove the wheel, fender liner and then you have access to it but that is just a guess. Thanks again!

Sponsored

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
I noticed the gap changes throughout the year. Aluminum has a pretty high coefficient of expansion; add to this the fact that the fender is flimsy in that area, with a hole cut in it and all, and the gap is going to vary with temperature. I'm leaving well enough alone.

OP
OP

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
I noticed the gap changes throughout the year. Aluminum has a pretty high coefficient of expansion; add to this the fact that the fender is flimsy in that area, with a hole cut in it and all, and the gap is going to vary with temperature. I'm leaving well enough alone.
That is a good point. I will give it one attempt with some high quality 3M double sided tape trim tape. If the tape fails again, then that will be it :)

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
^Something to consider: The plastic grill is stiffer than the fender in that area. If you adhesive bond the fender to the grill too rigidly, with temp changes, the fender may deform (not permanently) causing visible rippling in the nearby surface of the fender. Again, not permanently, but visible while it's happening.

OP
OP

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
^Something to consider: The plastic grill is stiffer than the fender in that area. If you adhesive bond the fender to the grill too rigidly, with temp changes, the fender may deform (not permanently) causing visible rippling in the nearby surface of the fender. Again, not permanently, but visible while it's happening.
Good point. I plan to use double sided automotive tape which I believe will shear before this can happen. That part of the fender is already extremely poorly stamped and painted from the factory (uneven surface). On both sides of the car that is. And all GT350s I looked at...

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
My 2017 doesn't have it but my 2016 did. Once I could tell it was not going to come off that it was on tight but had the gap I ran a bead of black silicone into the gap all the way up. Then removed the excess and smoothed it even to the edge with my finger (of course did both sides) and once dried you would never know it had been gapped and looked perfect. Drove the car a year. And when traded it it still looked perfect. You would never know I filled it in if I didn't tell you and show you.

Sponsored

Ks5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H5318
Mine had a gap at the top where it meets the fender. Took it to the dealer and they ordered a new one. I removed the old one and adjusted it back in place, hasn't come loose yet, it's pretty easy to take off. There are three tabs on the outboard side that catch the lip on the fender and 3m tape on the top and inboard side. I found instructions for it online somewhere.

OP
OP

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Mine had a gap at the top where it meets the fender. Took it to the dealer and they ordered a new one. I removed the old one and adjusted it back in place, hasn't come loose yet, it's pretty easy to take off. There are three tabs on the outboard side that catch the lip on the fender and 3m tape on the top and inboard side. I found instructions for it online somewhere.
I assume that you remove it from the wheel well after removing the liner, right? Thanks!

OP
OP

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
I thought there will be some more substantial clips that require coming from the back. Thanks for the video!

Ks5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H5318
You bet, hope it helps.
Sponsored