Sponsored

FRPP Street vs Track suspension?

craig.martell

Threads
Reaction score
Central Coast of CA (20 min from Laguna Seca :-)
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Ingot Silver, 3.55, Black Appearance
I really do not know 100% but I think the bounce is probably in the springs more than anything. A discussion I haven't seen a lot about is the difference between the X & Y springs. It's obvious that the Y springs have a good bit stiffer Spring rate than the X's hence why they come with the track pack and a stiffer damper. I'm planning on finding some performance pack takeoffs since they are substantially cheaper than a track handling and either picking up a set of X or Y springs. I'd like to eliminate the bounce as well.
X-Springs get rid of all bounce in the PP suspension, while keeping the daily-driver compliance over bumps. Going to track suspension is overkill for a daily driver IMHO. I just put on FRPP Street Handling Pack (PP + 5300-X springs), and now my car is amazing on the street. If I were racing it, I would want a stiffer suspension, but for the street it is perfect. As someone else pointed out on these forums, the PP + X-springs "bitchslaps" corners. I completely agree.

Craig
Sponsored

OP
OP

MNDZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
X-Springs get rid of all bounce in the PP suspension, while keeping the daily-driver compliance over bumps. Going to track suspension is overkill for a daily driver IMHO. I just put on FRPP Street Handling Pack (PP + 5300-X springs), and now my car is amazing on the street. If I were racing it, I would want a stiffer suspension, but for the street it is perfect. As someone else pointed out on these forums, the PP + X-springs "bitchslaps" corners. I completely agree.

Craig
I was originally going to get the street handling instead of the track handling, but I hear that the track is great as a daily driver and I figured that I might as well go with the better system.... Now I'm not sure.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

craig.martell

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the tip! They are the cheapest.
Another question. How much should I expect the install to cost? I went to my local Ford dealer today and they first said it would be 8 to 10 hours of work. Then they also said they couldn't align it afterwards because they only have stock spec alignment numbers.
After that, they told me to come back next week and we can all talk to their tech guy to get more details.
I did the Street Pack myself with a buddy and another mechanic friend. It took us 12 hours, but the mechanic friend had not yet worked on a S550 Mustang. I think 6-8 hours is a fair assumption for a shop. For the Track Pack, it will be longer, since you have an extra bushing to change. Everything, including most of the exhaust has to come out. And the rear control-arm-to-frame bolts are VERY time-consuming to get off. Awkward position.

As to the alignment, the Track Pack directions come with two alignment specs, the original Performance Pack specs and the new Track specs. You can do either. One alignment issue I have is that the camber can't be adjusted without adding camber plates. So, both my left and right front wheels are right at the border due to the lowering springs. Left is at the border, but in spec. Right is at the border but out of spec. I will be adding camber plates to fix this, but it drives straight and tracks nicely as it is. Since you already have the struts out, consider adding camber plates now.

Two more quick notes,

1. Read the directions all the way through first. You need to replace a bunch of nuts (10-12). The are different sizes, so bring the directions and check with your favorite dealership's parts department. Some they will have to order.

2. You will notice how thin the front sway-bar end-links are. My right one was already bent, and I have done nothing but drive it to the train station and my daughter's school. I am going to replace both the front and rear end-links -- but I should have done it while I had it all apart. So consider doing this now. BMR has a nice set of front and back.

Let me know if you have any questions about installation. I am not an expert, but I did just go through this. One final suggestion: use a spring compressor to get the rear springs out and in. (Normal spring-compressor warning goes here.) I didn't, had to tug like a m$$%#f&*$%$, and I hit myself in the face when it finally came out. Don't do that ;-).

Craig

craig.martell

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
I was originally going to get the street handling instead of the track handling, but I hear that the track is great as a daily driver and I figured that I might as well go with the better system.... Now I'm not sure.
Which one you get is going to vary a lot by the person. I'm 51, have a lot ladies that I drive around, and have another car for the track. I was not going for the stiffest or the coolest. My guess is a lot of the folks putting the Track Pack on are much younger and want a combo dd/track car. (Or at least want to pretend that they need a combo dd/track car, whether or not they are actually going to track it.) If you are not going to track it, I see absolutely no reason for the Track Pack. In fact, the Street Pack drives well enough that I would take it to a track day or two without hesitation. Again, just my opinion, and YMMV.

Craig

OP
OP

MNDZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks that was a lot of great information!

Sponsored

craig.martell

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
Thanks that was a lot of great information!

If you're in the SF Bay Area, you are welcome to drive it. In fact, I think it would be great if folks with different set-ups got together so we could see how they all drive.

Craig

OP
OP

MNDZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If you're in the SF Bay Area, you are welcome to drive it. In fact, I think it would be great if folks with different set-ups got together so we could see how they all drive.

Craig
I wish! I'm in the wonderful Chicagoland area.

OP
OP

MNDZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Here's another question. Should I go ahead and buy the camber plates or is it most likely I won't need them? I'd hate to pay for a double install. The rears don't need anything right?

OP
OP

MNDZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Bump

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
Here's another question. Should I go ahead and buy the camber plates or is it most likely I won't need them? I'd hate to pay for a double install. The rears don't need anything right?

You don't need camber plates in the front unless you are a serious track person. The front may be fine with nothing but it's a good idea to get the Bmr camber bolts. 25-30$ work perfectly

Sponsored

craig.martell

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
You don't need camber plates in the front unless you are a serious track person. The front may be fine with nothing but it's a good idea to get the Bmr camber bolts. 25-30$ work perfectly
Great idea. I will also look into them.

paul1967

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Which one you get is going to vary a lot by the person. I'm 51, have a lot ladies that I drive around, and have another car for the track. I was not going for the stiffest or the coolest. My guess is a lot of the folks putting the Track Pack on are much younger and want a combo dd/track car. (Or at least want to pretend that they need a combo dd/track car, whether or not they are actually going to track it.) If you are not going to track it, I see absolutely no reason for the Track Pack. In fact, the Street Pack drives well enough that I would take it to a track day or two without hesitation. Again, just my opinion, and YMMV.

Craig
Hi Craig, i know it is just an opinion and it is difficult to quantify, but how would you rate the change in ride harshness of the FRPP suspension vs. the stock suspension? I did not buy the PP partly because i was concerned that the ride would be too harsh and i would regret it (over time). After owning the car for a year, i love the current ride (harshness) but find myself sometimes wanting more as far as handling / performance. I also have changed my tastes as i have gotten older, and am not interested in bone jarring suspension as this is my DD.
Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks, Paul

craig.martell

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
Hi Craig, i know it is just an opinion and it is difficult to quantify, but how would you rate the change in ride harshness of the FRPP suspension vs. the stock suspension? I did not buy the PP partly because i was concerned that the ride would be too harsh and i would regret it (over time). After owning the car for a year, i love the current ride (harshness) but find myself sometimes wanting more as far as handling / performance. I also have changed my tastes as i have gotten older, and am not interested in bone jarring suspension as this is my DD.
Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks, Paul
I'm really happy with the street pack. Corners great, still compliant. If you keep your tires at 32, it's nice and soft. I usually keep them at 37. Sometimes it's a bit hard then.

No female in my life noticed the difference. That says a lot.

I like it!
Sponsored