Sponsored

Ford Mustang GTO

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
GT not GTO though

http://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...hree-dimensional-instrument-cluster/77053492/

Delphi to debut 3D for car dashboards at show

Three-dimensional movies have been mainstream for some time, but now Delphi Automotive and a New Zealand company want to bring the same visual effect to the cockpit of your car.

And you won’t need those clunky glasses.

Next month at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, a Ford Mustang GT concept will feature something Delphi calls “multi-layered graphics.”

The idea originated with PureDepth, an Auckland, New Zealand, company that has developed software that creates the 3-dimensional graphics often seen on slot machines and in Japan’s pachinko parlors.

Yes, the “gee-whiz” appeal is a large part of the marketing case, but so are comfort and safety.

“Normally traditional instrument displays present different images to the left and right eyes,” said Darryl Singh, PureDepth CEO. “On longer trips drivers can experience headaches, eye strain and sometimes even nausea.”

Delphi approached PureDepth about bringing the multi-layer display (MLD) system inside a vehicle.

“Video games, arcades, the gaming industry and even Hollywood is where the pioneers in graphics go to show their stuff,” said Glen DeVos, Delphi vice president of advanced engineering. “We wanted some of that multidimensional look in a car.”

PureDepth first showed the technology to Delphi designers in March 2014. But the screen they developed was too large for the instrument cluster space behind the steering wheel.

So over the past year, Delphi and PureDepth have worked to compress the same visual experience into a 12-inch display.

“The crispness of the graphics has improved 50% in just the last month,” DeVos said. “It’s like HDTV. Once you see it, you don’t want to go back to your old monitor.”

The display draws on a combination of software, optical and imaging technologies. Think of it as a visual sandwich with one screen stacked on top of another.

“It uses the rear display as a light source and everything that is normally black on the front display see-through, or translucent,” DeVos said. “It’s higher definition and better resolution, so you get crisper text, crisper graphics and a true three dimensional effect.”

While the Mustang GT will showcase the screen, Ford has not yet committed to use the technology in a production car, but Delphi officials expect to have one or two customer commitments in the near future.
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Looking forward to seeing more of this!

Things like Audi's virtual cockpit are very, very cool!

Any chance we'd see this for the '18MY.........or is this more 7th Gen Mustang tech?

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Depends... hoping for Re-fresh...

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
This could be really neat if they make provisions for owner customization. And I'm not talking about selecting from a few options, but someone with photoshop skills to develop their entire dash cluster.
I remember the first time I saw those 3D slot machines in Vegas. I had to take a closer look to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Only issue I can see is bright sunlight, especially in convertibles.

Sponsored

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
That's awesome, and I'd love an updated gauge cluster/DIC but I'm just imagining something going wrong and the cost associated lol.

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
Those don't look good enough to where I would be OK with them.

At some point I could accept digital gauges provided they were flexible and looked real. That picture does not.

Zerobar78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT, PP
Don't care about the 3D but something along the line of what the Corvette has would be great. Would love to have a configurable display like that with more readouts, especially for the track.

Jeffy_2010

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt 6-speed/ performance pack Oxford white
I just want a hud in my gt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Sponsored

Drugdealr

LOLKBYE
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Something like Teslas dashboard would be dope. the small screen is fine and all, but should be bigger IMO.

Dary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT
I'd welcome any upgrade to the dashboard.

Meanwhile I need to push my eyes to the corners of my face to read the speed/rpm more accurately.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
I'd welcome any upgrade to the dashboard.

Meanwhile I need to push my eyes to the corners of my face to read the speed/rpm more accurately.

Ya. I freakin hate the design of the speedometer in this car.
Sponsored