Sponsored

Fix for UPR Crankcase Breather Drip

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
If you have UPR crankcase breather, you're probably familiar of oil/water mixture drips that coat the rear of the intake manifold that eventually drops down to the garage/parking lot floor. I tried cleaning it and while it worked for a couple days, drips came back.

I didn't want to get rid of the breather as drips show that it's working. So I started an experiment by cutting up a Gatorade bottle to catch the drips:

IMG_6322.JPG

The bottle worked as expected but it can only catch less than a week's worth of vapour before overflowing since it sits at a shallow angle:

IMG_6319.JPG

I got a hold of a laundry detergent bottle and cut it up as a replacement:
IMG_6354.JPG

Aside from the capacity to capture more drips before having to empty it, the handle doubles as a sprout when emptying it into a used oil container:
IMG_6353.JPG
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
No drips on mine either. 2 years.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
I new that there would be flaws with this concept of a breather for the supposed positive crankcase ventilation as I have only seen 1 breather actually work as intended and that 1 came factory from Dodge Chrysler Plymouth . Can ya tell me what engine designation that would be ?

I guess this idea is only handy when 1 needs the oil to flow down through the oil galleries so 1 could check the oil level with the dip stick to verify that 1 has enough oil in the engine or has too much .

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
So... I was going to get the crank case breather, now I wont...

Having plastic thats not meant for heat close to the engine doesn't sound so good to me either
I intention isn't to leave the cut up detergent bottle in there permanently but the breather is definitely not an install it and forget it type of mod.

wes936

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang Grabber Blue EB 6MT
When I first installed mine, I did notice just a slight oil film at the back of the engine cover. I cleaned it all up.

Then I loosened the hose clamp and the tightend it back up as tight as I could.

No more oil film in the last 3000 miles.

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Additional note: I installed the breather during March of this year, and it didn't start dripping until the start of the peak summer season, probably in July. Ambient temps can approach 120 degrees during the day and charge temp can go over 150 degrees during stop and go traffic, so these factors have contributed to additional vaper. It's starting to cool off now, so I'll see if lower ambient temperature = less drips.

I can see where it's dropping from, which is the lowest part of the filter area (since it sits at an angle). I took the filter off of the tube to clean it and made sure the clamp was tight when putting it back on. It started dropping again after a few days.

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
I think I benefit from having the UPR DVCC with the breather. The breather only vents under high boost which is when the DVCC's extra line on the intake coupler is the only source of vacuum to pull on the crankcase.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I think I benefit from having the UPR DVCC with the breather. The breather only vents under high boost which is when the DVCC's extra line on the intake coupler is the only source of vacuum to pull on the crankcase.
That may be the best of both worlds. I'll have to consider that if I can't find a permanent solution.

lostlocalhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 EBP PP MR
Vehicle Showcase
I took mine off because it was pretty bad. I just installed the uprdvcc last week, so put it back. I've noticed it still leaking, and have been brainstorming some thoughts on how to keep it from dripping onto my manifold... I did see someone use foam to put in that area, filling the gaps between the engine cover and the breather. I still want to try that. I want something I wont have to remove at shows. lol

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I took mine off because it was pretty bad. I just installed the uprdvcc last week, so put it back. I've noticed it still leaking, and have been brainstorming some thoughts on how to keep it from dripping onto my manifold... I did see someone use foam to put in that area, filling the gaps between the engine cover and the breather. I still want to try that. I want something I wont have to remove at shows. lol
What? Are you making fun of my effort to recycle/reuse? Kidding aside, thanks for the info as it sounds like UPR DVCC itself doesn't resolve the leak. I'm thinking something similar to the blow will look good and work well if it had the metal extension on the bottom instead of the top as the drops can just drain right back.

breather cover.jpg

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
Did you thoroughly clean the breather prior to reinstalling it?
Sponsored