First Track Experience in the 350R - what a car

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R / 2021 Shelby GT500
Did my first track experience in the 2020 350R on Wednesday at Nelson Ledges Road Course in Garrettsville, OH. Weather conditions were less than ideal. Had light to mild rain in the morning until 10:30 am and temps were in the high 40s. Track time opened up around 9:30 am. It was still raining. As I am on Cup 2 tires, I intelligently decided to defer my start time until around 11:00 am. The track was still wet / damp. First few laps were rough. No grip on the cold tires. Was spinning in the turns and also loosing traction in the straights. Had to baby the throttle at first. But those first few laps were good to get a feel for the turns and lines. Went back out again before lunch - track was still damp but was able to add some speed, but tires still cold. After lunch, track was dry. Finally got tires up to temp, and then the fun started. Gained more and more confidence after each lap (had plenty of confidence in the car). Straights that were initially 100 mph soon ramped up to 135 mph. Turns that were edgy at first at say 50 mph improved to well over 70 mph, except for some of the tighter turns at Nelsons that you have to respect and maybe moving around 40-50 mph (last turn before starting straight is a tight one, but pull out of the apex and hit it hard through the straight).

I ran the car hard for about 3 hours. What a great experiences - deposit the weather conditions. The 350R just screams - what an amazing sound from the FPC motor. Mostly in 3rd gear the whole time. Rarely used 2nd as I generally stayed in the 4k+ power band in 3rd. Only used 4th on the straights; I already knew that 3rd gear tops out around 105mph at just over 8,000 rpms.

The Cup 2s took a good beating, especially the right front tire outside shoulder. See attached pics. I plan to swap / rotate LF to RF tires and check alignment settings before next track day. Tell me if you disagree, but I think I have one more track day left in the tires before they are totally shot (car has 3k miles on it). I don't think I will use Cup 2s for the next set; however, to my knowledge, no other manufacturer makes a 315/30/19 track tire, so may have to go to a rear 325/30/19 if I switch to say Nittos NT01s or Toyo R888Rs. Not sure about Pirellis as I have never driven on them before - plus those are even more expensive that the Cup 2s.

2 mile track; best lap time was 1:18.34 averaging 81mph. My last 10 laps were all within +/- one second of each other. Not sure how much faster I can get on the back straight; maybe 145 if conditions were better, but that kink turn towards the end of the back straight makes you think hard at 135 mph. I know the 350R has so much more. Novice track driver I am, but I had an audience watching the 350R and lots of good feedback from folks afterwards. I had the track all to myself for the last 30 or so minutes and I took advantage of the time. Get as much experience as one can while at the track for the day.

Can't wait for next track day.

LF Tire-5.6.21.jpg

RF Tire-5.6.21.jpg
Sponsored

rdrarmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Accord Coupe V6, 2020 GT350R
Did my first track experience in the 2020 350R on Wednesday at Nelson Ledges Road Course in Garrettsville, OH. Weather conditions were less than ideal. Had light to mild rain in the morning until 10:30 am and temps were in the high 40s. Track time opened up around 9:30 am. It was still raining. As I am on Cup 2 tires, I intelligently decided to defer my start time until around 11:00 am. The track was still wet / damp. First few laps were rough. No grip on the cold tires. Was spinning in the turns and also loosing traction in the straights. Had to baby the throttle at first. But those first few laps were good to get a feel for the turns and lines. Went back out again before lunch - track was still damp but was able to add some speed, but tires still cold. After lunch, track was dry. Finally got tires up to temp, and then the fun started. Gained more and more confidence after each lap (had plenty of confidence in the car). Straights that were initially 100 mph soon ramped up to 135 mph. Turns that were edgy at first at say 50 mph improved to well over 70 mph, except for some of the tighter turns at Nelsons that you have to respect and maybe moving around 40-50 mph (last turn before starting straight is a tight one, but pull out of the apex and hit it hard through the straight).

I ran the car hard for about 3 hours. What a great experiences - deposit the weather conditions. The 350R just screams - what an amazing sound from the FPC motor. Mostly in 3rd gear the whole time. Rarely used 2nd as I generally stayed in the 4k+ power band in 3rd. Only used 4th on the straights; I already knew that 3rd gear tops out around 105mph at just over 8,000 rpms.

The Cup 2s took a good beating, especially the right front tire outside shoulder. See attached pics. I plan to swap / rotate LF to RF tires and check alignment settings before next track day. Tell me if you disagree, but I think I have one more track day left in the tires before they are totally shot (car has 3k miles on it). I don't think I will use Cup 2s for the next set; however, to my knowledge, no other manufacturer makes a 315/30/19 track tire, so may have to go to a rear 325/30/19 if I switch to say Nittos NT01s or Toyo R888Rs. Not sure about Pirellis as I have never driven on them before - plus those are even more expensive that the Cup 2s.

2 mile track; best lap time was 1:18.34 averaging 81mph. My last 10 laps were all within +/- one second of each other. Not sure how much faster I can get on the back straight; maybe 145 if conditions were better, but that kink turn towards the end of the back straight makes you think hard at 135 mph. I know the 350R has so much more. Novice track driver I am, but I had an audience watching the 350R and lots of good feedback from folks afterwards. I had the track all to myself for the last 30 or so minutes and I took advantage of the time. Get as much experience as one can while at the track for the day.

Can't wait for next track day.

LF Tire-5.6.21.jpg

RF Tire-5.6.21.jpg
Those tires still have some life in them 😂

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Jealous! Don’t think I’ll get to put mine on track till mid summer. Very cool!

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
The new Conti’s coming out should be in 315 series for 19” fitments. Not sure of pride yet but they look initially like a good alternate.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Glad you are getting out there! Those tires look new. You've got several days left in them.
Appreciate the feedback - I had some thin strips of rubber coming off in various sections. Not sure of the technical term for this. Gonna get them washed off and double check to make sure no big gouges in the tread.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
tires still look new like others said :)

tip: putting it in rain mode on a wet track gives a safer way to build up heat in the tires. the mode is extremely sensitive and will kick in often in wet conditions to keep you from doing dumb things haha...

glad you had a fun time!!!

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
Just like everyone else says you have a LOT of life left in those Cup ‘s. I have driven Nelson’s for the past 11 years in my 07 GT500 and the last year in my 19 GT350R. I hit Nelson’s, Mid-Ohio, Pitt and NCM for a total of 11 track days last year. I avg 2-3 days on the fronts and 4-5 days for the rears. I hope to see you out there. I have not been at the track when another 350R has been there, only with 350’s

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Just like everyone else says you have a LOT of life left in those Cup ‘s. I have driven Nelson’s for the past 11 years in my 07 GT500 and the last year in my 19 GT350R. I hit Nelson’s, Mid-Ohio, Pitt and NCM for a total of 11 track days last year. I avg 2-3 days on the fronts and 4-5 days for the rears. I hope to see you out there. I have not been at the track when another 350R has been there, only with 350’s
Great feedback - thank you. Sent you a private message.

Rob-17GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP, 2020 F350 Powerstroke
Hi Jim. Are you going to Pitt with AI in two wks? I’ll be there with the Camaro. Redid the exhaust; long tube headers, 3” exhaust and no mufflers 😳! Oh Boy! Should be interesting!

Sponsored

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
Hi Jim. Are you going to Pitt with AI in two wks? I’ll be there with the Camaro. Redid the exhaust; long tube headers, 3” exhaust and no mufflers 😳! Oh Boy! Should be interesting!
Hey Rob, good to hear from you, no I won't be there until July 3rd weekend, will you be there on that weekend?. I usually don't hit the track until June. I've got 12 days scheduled so far.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Well, your tires are new. I am tracking with this in a couple of weeks...

20210105_155530.jpg

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Well, your tires are new. I am tracking with this in a couple of weeks...

20210105_155530.jpg
ha - OK perhaps I was too dramatic. Message received loud and clear from you and other members. Sounds like I should expect to get 3 or 4 solid track sessions out of a set of Cup 2s.
Sponsored