First manual trans car. MT82 issues?

Isurus550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Prem PP
This will be my second Mustang, and my very first manual transmission car. I'm serviceable in driving stick and I know it will take some time to perfect my skills, so I will be taking it slow.

As such, I've never really followed the issues with the manual transmission, but as I do more and more research leading up to delivery of my new baby, I'm seeing a lot of frustration with the MT82, and a lot of mixed comments, so I'm not sure what to think.

Can we discuss some of the prior issues, the changes they've made to address them in the '15, and what potential issues I need to look out for?
Sponsored

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
A lot of comments youll read about the 15s being notchy, or thuds when shifting is fairly normal. Fairly normal for a lot of higher performance vehicles. The thing to remember that I didnt as much when I got mine, is put miles on it. After a few thousand miles you should start to notice the trans feel better over time as it wears in. While you may read a lot of stories of the MT82 failing, theres probably triple that of people that dont have issues. Forums can be bad for perpetuating issues and making them seem more wide spread. Ford has probably learned a lot since 2011 and while I cant answer your question about what exactly was improved, I will tell you the difference in driving a 2012 5.0 and mine currently I own there is a difference that I felt, and it was better. HOpe that helps and congrats on your purchase.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
The more threads you read about problems with the MT-82 the more you'll be looking for problems instead of enjoying your car and more importantly, learning how to drive a manual.

OP
OP
Isurus550

Isurus550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Prem PP
A lot of comments youll read about the 15s being notchy, or thuds when shifting is fairly normal. Fairly normal for a lot of higher performance vehicles. The thing to remember that I didnt as much when I got mine, is put miles on it. After a few thousand miles you should start to notice the trans feel better over time as it wears in. While you may read a lot of stories of the MT82 failing, theres probably triple that of people that dont have issues. Forums can be bad for perpetuating issues and making them seem more wide spread. Ford has probably learned a lot since 2011 and while I cant answer your question about what exactly was improved, I will tell you the difference in driving a 2012 5.0 and mine currently I own there is a difference that I felt, and it was better. HOpe that helps and congrats on your purchase.
It definitely does help, thanks! I'll keep that in mind and just get as much practice as I can while it breaks in.

The more threads you read about problems with the MT-82 the more you'll be looking for problems instead of enjoying your car and more importantly, learning how to drive a manual.
I'm not necessarily looking for problems. I'm more just concerned about what is and isn't normal so I know. My main focus is definitely going to be on learning and enjoying the car! Here's hoping I can learn hill starts before I roll back into someone! :eyebulge:

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Listen to Grimace. If you look at the problem forums for too long every sound/clunk/vibration is just an issue waiting to crop up.

Also you can turn on hill assist - that'll help a lot to prevent you from rolling backward.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Next time I visit Austin we can go for a drive and see if there's anything to worry about. I have family all over Austin and visit a few times a year. I'd love to move there someday.

OP
OP
Isurus550

Isurus550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Prem PP
Also you can turn on hill assist - that'll help a lot to prevent you from rolling backward.
I actually wasn't aware the '15 had hill assist. Somehow I missed it in the specs, but sure enough, there it is! Great news (for me)!

OP
OP
Isurus550

Isurus550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Prem PP
Next time I visit Austin we can go for a drive and see if there's anything to worry about. I have family all over Austin and visit a few times a year. I'd love to move there someday.
Austin is great, my favorite place in Texas. Definitely hit me up if you head this way, would love to cruise around! I'm sure you know, but there are tons of great curves that I'm excited to drive in the Mustang.

H1 GT

Crew Chief
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
15 4C, 97 H1
Everyone I know that has a vehicle with hill assist hates it so I left mine off to learn without it.

My favorite tip taught to me:
It is pretty simple, there is a point where the clutch will barely hold you. While on a hill, slowly let out the clutch until the RPM's dip just a little bit. Hold the clutch there and slowly let off the brake. If you start to roll back, let the clutch out a little more. You can do this until you don't even have to hold the brakes at all on an incline. When it's time to go, give it some gas and release the clutch as usual.

When you get comfortable with it, it only takes a couple of seconds for the whole process.

This is my first manual car and I had only a few hours experience in others' manuals (as well as more time on a 4 wheeler than you'd probably guess) but I'm at about 1500 miles now and it's easy.

And I agree with the others...how many people post on here how good their transmission is? Probably very few, but if you have a problem you'll definitely share it. To quote Futurama, "when you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

OP
OP
Isurus550

Isurus550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Prem PP
My favorite tip taught to me:
It is pretty simple, there is a point where the clutch will barely hold you. While on a hill, slowly let out the clutch until the RPM's dip just a little bit. Hold the clutch there and slowly let off the brake. If you start to roll back, let the clutch out a little more. You can do this until you don't even have to hold the brakes at all on an incline. When it's time to go, give it some gas and release the clutch as usual.
I'll definitely try this. I have a perfectly isolated area with hills that I can practice on, and since I feel a sickness coming on, I plan on taking [INSERT DELIVERY DATE HERE] off of work...

Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I'll definitely try this. I have a perfectly isolated area with hills that I can practice on, and since I feel a sickness coming on, I plan on taking [INSERT DELIVERY DATE HERE] off of work...
Using your clutch to hold your car on a hill is a good way to get yourself in the market for a new clutch, in case that wasn't obvious. Learning the engagement point is fine, but using your clutch as a brake on a hill is no bueno.

OP
OP
Isurus550

Isurus550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Prem PP
Right, it obviously wouldn't replace the brake in this situation. My understanding is: learn the engagement point, bring clutch to that point, then release brake and move to gas so the clutch is only holding it while you make the transition.

Sorry if this turned into a "teach Isurus550 how to drive manual" thread, but this is all very helpful info!

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT with Recaro Seats
. I agree with Grimace as the (current) MT82 Getrag gearbox seems to have expelled the demons of gearboxes past (with a few noted exceptions) as per Fords lengthly Service Bulletins and write ups courtesy of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Enjoy your new machine, get some miles on it, follow the manufacturers recommended break in and maintenance and servicing schedules and have fun! :ford:

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
Using your clutch to hold your car on a hill is a good way to get yourself in the market for a new clutch, in case that wasn't obvious. Learning the engagement point is fine, but using your clutch as a brake on a hill is no bueno.
...That's if you're doing it as a daily habit. But now and then isn't a big deal.

H1 GT

Crew Chief
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
15 4C, 97 H1
1. Yea, it takes a matter of less than 2-3 seconds (if in traffic) resting on the clutch now that I'm used to it.

2. Its not often I'm stopped on a hill. If I lived in San Francisco I wouldn't have bought a manual.

3. If my clutch lasts 50k+ miles I'd be happy, its what I expect. I have seen some last 130k+ and others 30k. I learned it from somebody that's driven manuals their whole life and doesn't burn up clutches. Good habits can make it last but it's kind of my fun car and then you can upgrade!

So far my transmission has been great. I have heard the "thud" a few times but everything about it has been great. :cheers:
Sponsored