Sponsored

Finalizing Build - Clutch, Gearing, and Shifter?

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
What I have: All in my sig. Guessing I'm making around 700 wheel. Mt-82 giving me a few issues...

What I'm going for: Only Mexico runs, minimum 40 rolls. Will 100% NOT be tracking and I doubt I'll do any street digs. I doubt I'll go over 800 wheel any time soon either. 3.48 is probably the smallest pulley I'll run. Would like to not blow up my motor as it is my daily for now.

Questions:
1. What clutch is recommended? Things to consider: it is my daily for now and will help me with the high RPM lockout I'm currently struggling with? If I need to spend the money on the Mantic and not look back, I'll probably do it. If Mcleod or Exedy can hold up and not give me any issues whatsoever (would rather not grenade my MT-82, but I also won't be doing any launching for added security), then I'll go with one of them.

2. For gearing, do I need to go 3.31s and not look back?

3. MGW is pretty much my decided shifter, but has anyone used one with a raceseng shiftknob? Just want to confirm I won't have any issues. It attaches to the stock shifter through an adapter that screws onto the stock shifter thread. I imagine there's an MGW adapter to retain the stock shift knob, so I assume it'll be MGW adapter -> Raceseng adapter -> Raceseng shift knob?

313FDB2A-115F-46A4-827B-9560E72EAB07.jpeg

Thanks
Sponsored

ArcsandSparks

Probably wrenching
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Metallic GT
Vehicle Showcase
McLeod RST should fit what you're looking for pretty well. For the high rpm lockout, the new clutch will help as will a new TOB, I'd throw on a braided clutch line while you're there for good measure.

3.31's are the way to go with FI, especially for mexico runs.

As far using a Raceseng shift knob with an MGW shifter,
MGW sells an adapter to be used in place of the factory reverse lockout collar, m12x1.25 thread. It's referenced in this video:

Link + description on MGW site here

You'd have to use the MGW adapter to hold the boot in place, and then thread the Raceseng adapter & shift knob.

Assuming you're not using the flat stick handle, MGW shifters are m12x1.25 so you should only need the MGW adapter I linked.

Last edited:
OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
McLeod RST should fit what you're looking for pretty well. For the high rpm lockout, the new clutch will help as will a new TOB, I'd throw on a braided clutch line while you're there for good measure.

3.31's are the way to go with FI, especially for mexico runs.

As far using a Raceseng shift knob with an MGW shifter,
MGW sells an adapter to be used in place of the factory reverse lockout collar, m12x1.25 thread. It's referenced in this video:

Link + description on MGW site here

You'd have to use the MGW adapter to hold the boot in place, and then thread the Raceseng adapter & shift knob.

Assuming you're not using the flat stick handle, MGW shifters are m12x1.25 so you should only need the MGW adapter I linked.
Ok perfect. I had pretty much the same thing in mind but it's always good to hear someone else thinking the same thing.

Can't thank you enough.

FISH_L3G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT pp in Competition Orange, 86 Corvette, 2012 Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
I second the RXT and 3.31's

- I have had my RTX for about 17,xxx miles with my prcharger (718 wheel) and love it. I don't drag race my car, but as a Texan, I visit Mexico frequently. My car came with the performance pack 3.73's and they are way too steep, im constantly rowing gears as the boost builds. 3.31's would serve you better on the roads of Mexico.

OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I second the RXT and 3.31's

- I have had my RTX for about 17,xxx miles with my prcharger (718 wheel) and love it. I don't drag race my car, but as a Texan, I visit Mexico frequently. My car came with the performance pack 3.73's and they are way too steep, im constantly rowing gears as the boost builds. 3.31's would serve you better on the roads of Mexico.
What made you choose the RXT over the RST? ArcsandSparks recommended the RST

Sponsored

Nghtshd88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Premium
IMO your lockout isnt your clutch its the crappy defective master clutch cylinder failing. Just redid all of mine (clutch trans bearing line) and still having the same issue.

FISH_L3G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT pp in Competition Orange, 86 Corvette, 2012 Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
What made you choose the RXT over the RST? ArcsandSparks recommended the RST
I went with the RXT because my setup makes over 800 at the flywheel. My car produces 718 wheel, when you factor in the guestimated drivetrain loss of 16-18% that put me over 800 horse at the flywheel. So I didn't want to get a new clutch and have it at it working at the ragged edge of what its rated for.

They say the RXT rated for 1000 where the RST is only rated at 800.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I would recommend the RST if you aren't planning on drag radial launches. If you are planning on hard drag radial launches then definitely RXT. The RST uses organic friction material and is more forgiving where as the RXT uses a puck style, I believe ceramic material. Both great clutches, but it's the hard launches with drag radials on prepped surface that should be your deciding factor.

OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I would recommend the RST if you aren't planning on drag radial launches. If you are planning on hard drag radial launches then definitely RXT. The RST uses organic friction material and is more forgiving where as the RXT uses a puck style, I believe ceramic material. Both great clutches, but it's the hard launches with drag radials on prepped surface that should be your deciding factor.
I won’t be doing any dig racing, much less taking it to a strip. I’m still on stock half shafts and driveshaft so no launching for me. I will be on a tire, but I won’t be doing anything too crazy with it. Maybe 40 rolls at best.

I’ve been thinking the RST will probably be what I pull the trigger on, as the Mantic is simply too expensive.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I've got the RST on my blown/stroked '05 making about 597 to the wheels. It's been great and I've launched hard with drag radials at the track a few times. I had trouble with traction on launch though. Pedal effort is light, engagement is super smooth. Some guys complain about twin discs making a grinding sound if your rpm's are too low cruising. Like if I'm on a back road doing 30-35 mph in my 5 speed, in 4th gear if I hear the lugging sound I just drop it into 3rd. Totally normal and I've just gotten used to using 3rd gear in that situation.

Another thing I notice is if I am backing into the garage working the clutch a little heavy slipping in and out I'll sometimes smell it a bit which is also normal. It's been a great clutch. I'd suggest using McLeod's lightened steel flywheel for the best contact surface area coverage.
Sponsored