Sponsored

'

Which transmission type is best?

• I don't care one way or the other.

• This argument is pointless, and I won't take part in it.

• There is no "right" answer, it's a matter of personal preference.

• It doesn't matter to me what someone else chooses, I'm happy with MY choice.

• I'm very insecure and NEED to bash other people's decisions to feel good about myself.

Results are only viewable after voting.

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
It's all fun and love. I like both.
i know, gotta have something stupid to argue over and pass the time :rockon:
Sponsored

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
Ya'll sound like a bunch old people arguing for the sake of arguing, or a bunch of teenagers arguing over nothing.

I think I fit into one of those categories. I just can't figure which one.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Back in the good old days (20’s, 30’s, & 40’s) no one bought a manual transmission for the driving pleasure. They had no choice. Then in 1948 everything changed. Given a choice, people wanted the ease of driving an automatic instead of the chore of doing it manually. Except for the Norm’s of the world who turned a chore into a pleasure. God bless you Norm. :clap:
Old guy with the maturity level of a teenager arguing over nothing for the sake of arguing :cwl:
Well, I equate an automatic transmission to an electrically controlled prosthetic device. You can get the job done manually and have more fun or you can get there faster with the with the help of technology. Which is more fun is up to you.😂

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
I was sitting at a light in my wife's 6 week old Bronco Sport yesterday, everything was normal. The light turned green, I stepped on the gas, the car shuddered and the screen lit up with a "shift system fault" message. I hit OK to clear it and hit the gas, the message appeared again, a couple times. I looked around to try to figure it out.
The check engine light was on and the car had put itself in park, once I put it back in drive and cleared the error message again we were able to continue on our way. We stopped at a dealer, they pulled a code and reset it. Apparently Ford hadn't seen this before, were in "wait to see if it happens again" mode. So far so good.
I bet this never happens with a manual.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your first mistake was buying a Bronco Sport :crackup:

Don't act like manuals don't have dumb nanny systems and gas saving shit on them these days. I'm looking at your gear lock-outs GM. I bet that shit never happens in their automatics :cwl:
I didn't buy it, my wife did. No way in he'll I'd ever buy anything with an automatic.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jennings1066

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
R
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang ecoboost 6m pp
Ok lets take our minds off the auto/ manual thing. Or manual/auto thing so i dont offend anyone... whats the best color of mustang?

thompsje

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Nope, just put my brain in drive and passed everything except a gas station :cwl:
So, check this out.... Some of us can think of more things than "push pedal, go fast". Ever wonder what you might have missed while you were on auto pilot? Probably not, cause automatic...

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why'd you even marry her :crackup:
At least she's capable or driving a manual, but, she's not a car person, she'd be happy with a "self driving transportation pod," just like every other automatic owner.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's the automakers as much as the buyers, Norm. They're the one's who've been pushing automatics as an upscale option. They're they one's who put manuals in base trims, and locked out the nicer features to automatic equipped cars. It's the same thing as with CUV's. The manufacturers pushed them as "safer" and "more practicle" than a sedan. The reality is that they are "more profitable". Don't place full blame on the average buyer because of what they were being sold. They go to lots, and buy what's there. Automatics can carry a premium, so that's what's been filling the lots for decades. It's not a new thing, and you know that very well.

What is new is that performance car sales have been shifting (see what I did there) toward automatics. It's not about "mass appeal" in this segment. The type of person who buys a sports car over a family car isn't the same buyer. They're looking for speed, a thrill wrapped up in sheet metal. Manual transmissions used to be the most performant option. That's simply no longer the case, in spite of any objections you may personally have.

The CUV buyers of the world didn't kill the manual. Ford did. Toyota did. They all had a hand in it.
Fuel economy killed the good manuals. And millennials, we can't forget about those mf'ers. At least they're still fun, even if I'll get gaped by a minivan at the red light.

Sponsored

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love that leap in logic from automatic transmission to "self driving transportation pod". You're attempting to conflate not being a car person with driving auto. Once again, another manual driver is mad they aren't smart enough to drive automatics :cwl:
You're arguing against yourself now, LOL. How can one be "not smart enough" for the "dumbed down" version?

thompsje

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Only losers think there's more to life than winning all the time :crackup:
I guess if white-knuckling the wheel and getting a "kill" on a 4-cyl Camry is your definition of winning, you can have all of it. That's like redefining "cooking" as microwaving pizza rolls and then declaring yourself a master chef because that's all you eat anyway.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 California GT: Black