Sponsored

Extended Warranty paid for itself

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
Back story: I experienced a failed clutch slave cylinder on track back in early September. Clutch pedal went to the floor just before a turn and didn't return. I limped the car back to the pits and managed to drive it to the dealer the same day, pulling up the clutch pedal manually each time I had to stop or shift gears. The dealership replaced the slave cylinder at my expense (since that wasn't covered under the ESP I bought), and I had them replace the clutch while they had the car torn down for that.

Most recent issue: A week after I got the car back, I noticed that the transmission was grinding going into 5th gear, whether upshifting or downshifting into 5th. No other symptoms. I took the car back to the dealer in early November for further diagnosis and repair. They agreed with my assessment that something was wrong. I just got the car back on Tuesday (yes, more than 3 months later, but hey, it's winter in Indiana, so the car would have been in storage anyway). The dealership's "transmission guy" did a complete disassembly and rebuild of the trans, as well as replacement of the bellhousing, and this time the repair was covered under ESP, so that purchase just paid for itself.

Of note on the repair order is the transmission guy's diagnosis, which includes the following:
FOUND THE INPUT SHAFT THRUST BEARING EXPLODED AND CAUSED DAMAGE TO INPUT SHAFT AND BEARING RACE. ALSO FOUND DAMAGE TO 5TH GEAR, 6TH GEAR, 1ST GEAR, AND 2ND GEAR SYNCHRONIZER ASSEMBLIES. FOUND THE FLUID PUMP DAMAGED AND CAUSED DAMAGE TO BELL HOUSING AS WELL.

I'm a little shocked at the extent of the damage, because although I have over 20 track days on the car, (1) I drive manual transmission cars exclusively--my other 2 daily drivers are a Porsche Boxster and a BMW 328i, both of which have well over 100k miles on them with no transmission issues ever, and both of which have been tracked too; (2) I baby the transmission on track... No speed shifts, no power shifts, nothing that doesn't involve a full press of the clutch and a rev-match if it's a downshift; (3) I follow the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual, more or less, changing the transmission fluid at least once per track season (yeah, I know, the manual says to change it before and after every event, but that really seems like overkill to me); and (4) the car has just over 18,000 miles on it, and I'm the only owner. Aside from dealership service (which I keep to a minimum), no one but me has ever driven this car since I bought it new in 2016.

Anyway, I'm just glad to have the car back at this point, and I'm glad I didn't have to pay for the trans rebuild out of pocket. (The clutch and slave cylinder replacement were expensive enough by themselves.)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
Being a fellow 2016 owner - without an ESP - I am curious if you think the first repair could have resulted the second failure. I missed my shot at an ESP and now watch these threads with vested interest.

Sorry to hear about the issues and hope you get back on track (pun intended) soon.

OP
OP
THX 138

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great question. I just don't know enough about transmissions in general to provide an educated answer.

I know there were failures with some of the GT350 Track Attack cars' transmissions (see the threads from the people who bought those cars showing the cars' histories). I don't know if the damage to either my car's slave cylinder or the transmission were preventable or not, or how either issue could have been prevented. Maybe someone who has a better understanding of those systems will chime in.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
@THX 138, I tracked 12 times last year and only changed it at the end of November and found the fluid was in excellent condition so I'd agree it's not necessary to do it after every track event. Not a bad way to offer therapy to one self in a climate controlled garage but I rather be driving.

I'll be honest, I bet it was the reinstall as I have a personal friend who went through something similar. Clutch slave failed, he paid for it out of pocket, drove it several times on track and had limp mode issues (bad temp sensor too), and etc. Discovered the trans needed to be replaced ultimately and car was out of warranty and it was escalated to Ford Customer Care where it was covered under warranty through good faith.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I'll add to my post above. Even though I'm under ESP... I'm not quite sure I would do an engine refresh even with all the track time I am considering past warranty coverage. Same reason my Beretta Shotgun doesn't get cleaned anymore, every time you clean the damn thing it consistently jams (FTF) at least until several boxes were ran. Why touch something when it's not broken? Obviously not all practices can be applied but I'm starting to wonder if no one has to touch any of the components for this platform I may be better off in the long run...

Sponsored

OP
OP
THX 138

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@NoXiDe, I agree completely. Frankly, I don't want anyone touching any part of my car if I can avoid it. Even assuming that every service team at every dealership means well, they simply don't have the knowledge that the original assemblers/builders on the Romeo Niche Line had when they put the car together initially. I didn't really have a choice with the transmission rebuild, and the car seems to be "right" now (*knock on wood*), but if I can avoid other "touches" going forward, that would certainly be my preference, ESP or not.

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Being a fellow 2016 owner - without an ESP - I am curious if you think the first repair could have resulted the second failure. I missed my shot at an ESP and now watch these threads with vested interest.

Sorry to hear about the issues and hope you get back on track (pun intended) soon.
No you didn't, you can still buy one from Ford.

sagonzal2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 350

Lombard ford offers a ford esp warranty for 2017-2018 gt350s
Sponsored