Sponsored

Exhaust tone borla touring

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Hey guys so I recently got a deal on a ford racing borla touring catback off craigslist but when I threw it on it basically sounded exactly like stock other than being louder at higher rpm. It’s the one that’s got the big resonator in the middle so I’m wondering if changing out the midpipe to an x or an h would give me more sound or if it’s better to sell the whole system and get a different exhaust.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yes changing the midpipe to the X that borla has with the S type will increase volume quite a bit.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Hey guys so I recently got a deal on a ford racing borla touring catback off craigslist but when I threw it on it basically sounded exactly like stock other than being louder at higher rpm. It’s the one that’s got the big resonator in the middle so I’m wondering if changing out the midpipe to an x or an h would give me more sound or if it’s better to sell the whole system and get a different exhaust.
Sounds like you got an axle-back, not a cat-back.

The FRPP Borla Touring exhaust made a big difference on my car, louder for sure, but not totally obnoxious to the rest of the world.

OP
OP

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like you got an axle-back, not a cat-back.

The FRPP Borla Touring exhaust made a big difference on my car, louder for sure, but not totally obnoxious to the rest of the world.
definetly a catback lol mines just the old ford racing one which has a resonator on it which looks like that instead of the x that’s probably on yours. View attachment 426193

upload_2020-1-9_20-55-45.jpeg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

lint28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost w/PP - Now its a 2016 GT w/PP!!!
I've got the borla s type (not the Ford one). I have both the x pipe and the resonated h pipe. I chose to install the resonated h pipe. It made a HUGE difference to the sound. A low grumble tone that screams when you step on it. One day I might put on the x pipe just to see what it sounds like. But you should definitely notice a big difference to the sound and volume.

Sponsored

OP
OP

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha appreciate it guys. I’m just concerned that putting on the x pipe will still be too quiet since I’ve heard the new tourings just use the s type muffler with the resonator. Mine has the touring mufflers though so I’m concerned it might still be too quiet because honestly I can’t tell a difference between stock and this one. Maybe it would be better to put the stock system back on with an x pipe unless this borla resonator muffles the exhaust a lot more than the factory resonator. I do like the stainless steel and tips on this exhaust though.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Gotcha appreciate it guys. I’m just concerned that putting on the x pipe will still be too quiet since I’ve heard the new tourings just use the s type muffler with the resonator. Mine has the touring mufflers though so I’m concerned it might still be too quiet because honestly I can’t tell a difference between stock and this one. Maybe it would be better to put the stock system back on with an x pipe unless this borla resonator muffles the exhaust a lot more than the factory resonator. I do like the stainless steel and tips on this exhaust though.
Do the X pipe. The S type has plenty of volume, is much louder than stock. The borla touring catback is too quiet.

lint28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost w/PP - Now its a 2016 GT w/PP!!!
from my understanding the X pipe is only a little louder..but more raspy sounding. I love the sound of my Borla touring. When my wife drives it i can hear the car all the way down the block.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
from my understanding the X pipe is only a little louder..but more raspy sounding. I love the sound of my Borla touring. When my wife drives it i can hear the car all the way down the block.
No, it's a significant increase.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
get an h pipe. I have borla touring & h > X with these mufflers.

Sponsored

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Also have the Borla resonator on my SType catback but removed it recently.

X pipe is quite a volume increase. ESP cold starts and above 3k rpm. That’s the reason why I went back to X. Resonator was way too quiet when flooring it. Almost close to stock sound.

OP
OP

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I actually got a chance to drive the car today and really listen to it and it is a bit louder especially at higher rpm I’m thinking the x will do the trick. What I’m torn between now is either the borla x or the Steeda h.

I will say though that I watched a few videos where people put on the resonator to replace an x pipe and it did make a huge difference in overall volume so I can see why it’s so quiet right now.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
So I actually got a chance to drive the car today and really listen to it and it is a bit louder especially at higher rpm I’m thinking the x will do the trick. What I’m torn between now is either the borla x or the Steeda h.

I will say though that I watched a few videos where people put on the resonator to replace an x pipe and it did make a huge difference in overall volume so I can see why it’s so quiet right now.
S type catback sounds good. It has the X. I'd recommend that.

OP
OP

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: guys I appreciate all the input and help on this. I finally got the sound I was going for. In the end I ended up replacing the borla resonator with a Steeda H pipe because I heard it would be a deeper tone. What I ended up with is an exhaust that is louder than stock, more aggressive, and surprisingly quieter when cruising yet when you step on it you can hear it from quite some distance. Again thanks everyone.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Update: guys I appreciate all the input and help on this. I finally got the sound I was going for. In the end I ended up replacing the borla resonator with a Steeda H pipe because I heard it would be a deeper tone. What I ended up with is an exhaust that is louder than stock, more aggressive, and surprisingly quieter when cruising yet when you step on it you can hear it from quite some distance. Again thanks everyone.
Nice!
Sponsored