Exhaust Pops Question

jbanh100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Usually when I think of exhausts popping I think of machine gun fire, and the burbles.

I'm tuned on E85 with Lund (on e85), 5k miles, 2019. A10 Active Exhaust

My exhaust does this pop scenario where it only lets out one pop and I've never heard this on another Mustang. Some how my exhaust on crackles/burbles on the Stock tune and occasionally on the Lund 91/93 tune. Need some insight. It only seems to happen when downshifting from 6th to 5th after giving some good throttle in 6th, occasionally 5th to 4th. I'm not complaining it's kind of cool, but I want to make sure it's not an underlying problem. Any insight is great.

Also any idea why my exhaust doesn't burble or crackle on the Lund tunes? Is it the timing?

I only have an H-Pipe that's welded in by a shop (idk about quality) . Could it have to do with the back pressure or scavenging of exhaust gases the H-Pipe creates?

(example of what I'm talking about)

(STOCK TUNE WOT it burbles, I was datalogging)

Thanks
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Usually when I think of exhausts popping I think of machine gun fire, and the burbles.

My exhaust does this pop scenario where it only lets out one pop and I've never heard this on another Mustang. Some how my exhaust on crackles/burbles on the Stock tune and occasionally on the Lund 91/93 tune. Need some insight. It only seems to happen when downshifting from 6th to 5th after giving some good throttle in 6th, occasionally 5th to 4th. I'm not complaining it's kind of cool, but I want to make sure it's not an underlying problem. Any insight is great.

Also any idea why my exhaust doesn't burble or crackle on the Lund tunes? Is it the timing?

I only have an H-Pipe that's welded in by a shop (idk about quality) . Could it have to do with the back pressure or scavenging of exhaust gases the H-Pipe creates?

Thanks
I answered this in another thread a few weeks back. Here are the details:

- A car without cats will crackle more than a car with cats.
- An exhaust leak can cause a backfire similar to a pop.

Fuel-injected cars cut fuel on closed-throttle decel. In order to hear pops and crackles, tuners program the ecu under certain conditions so the fuel cut either doesn't happen or happens gradually. Hot exhaust and unburnt fuel meet and boom! You can get a carbureted vehicle to pop and crackle a lot more than a fuel-injected vehicle because it doesn't have a fuel cut on decel like a fuel-injected vehicle does.

There's a certain RPM range for the pops and crackles as well. Meaning the fuel cut only happens at certain RPMs. That's why you won't get pops and crackles at high rpm for example. Pops and crackles are cool for a little while, but a waste of fuel.

OP
OP
jbanh100

jbanh100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
I answered this in another thread a few weeks back. Here are the details:

- A car without cats will crackle more than a car with cats.
- An exhaust leak can cause a backfire similar to a pop.

Fuel-injected cars cut fuel on closed-throttle decel. In order to hear pops and crackles, tuners program the ecu under certain conditions so the fuel cut either doesn't happen or happens gradually. Hot exhaust and unburnt fuel meet and boom! You can get a carbureted vehicle to pop and crackle a lot more than a fuel-injected vehicle because it doesn't have a fuel cut on decel like a fuel-injected vehicle does.

There's a certain RPM range for the pops and crackles as well. Meaning the fuel cut only happens at certain RPMs. That's why you won't get pops and crackles at high rpm for example. Pops and crackles are cool for a little while, but a waste of fuel.
Thanks for the info . What I can gather from that is I may have an exhaust leak correct? Do you mind linking me to the thread you’ve already posted on

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

My exhaust does this pop scenario where it only lets out one pop and I've never heard this on another Mustang.
I can recreate that single pop. I have a M6. Let’s say if I rev the engine upto 6k rpms in first, let it hang at 6k for a couple seconds and then do a fairly aggressive downshift into 2nd, it’ll make that pop. As mentioned earlier, it’s simply unburnt fuel reacting to the hot exhaust.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
You're fine.

Because Lund believes in tuning for performance and reliability, not moronic click bait exhaust off videos for Instagram. Yes some tuners will tune for "burble" or "crackle" tuning. But if that's what one wants a tune for, the mark has been completely missed. And yes it's because they don't think highly retarded timing and spitting fuel on deceleration is a good idea for your motor.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jbanh100

jbanh100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
You're fine.

Because Lund believes in tuning for performance and reliability, not moronic click bait exhaust off videos for Instagram. Yes some tuners will tune for "burble" or "crackle" tuning. But if that's what one wants a tune for, the mark has been completely missed. And yes it's because they don't think highly retarded timing and spitting fuel on deceleration is a good idea for your motor.
I figured so. 100% agree. Thank you!

vincentjm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vincent
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT PP
Also Tuned by Lund. I do get nasty burbles all the time with my setup, but pops are really rare.

The kid in me really wants those loud bangs and flames though, not gonna lie :crackup:

Last edited:

vincentjm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vincent
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT PP
I need burbles, pops, and flames. I don't care what anyone has to say about it.
You're not alone :)

ditch the cats and get a 2-step and you'll get flames guaranteed.
I even shot some tiny flames with cats (stupid but hey) with my N2MB wot box during wot shifts

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
If you don't shift so fast, and do a slow shift (manual) you can increase the crackle & pop, etc.

In an auto, it will always be robotic and similar with little character, or flare.
Sponsored