Sponsored

Exhaust journey is complete!

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
So I have taken a lot of steps along the exhaust project seeking the perfect sound, and I have achieved it in my opinion. I knew all along what I wanted the exhaust to sound like, but took small individual steps instead of just buying a complete system. My opinion loudness ratings are stock being 0, open headers being 10.

Step 1: Like most the first to go was the factory resonator suitcase. Went with MRT h-pipe. Nice only there when on the throttle pretty decent, stock like when cruising. 1.5/10.

Step 2: Axle back RTR street spec mufflers. Nice grrr starting, and accelerating. Barely noticeable cruising. 4/10.

Step 3: Mak cat deletes, and small resonators. I knew the cat delete would likely make it louder than I wanted so added 12" resonators after the h-pipe at the same time. Roaring cold start and acceleration, and pretty strong rumble cruising. This is where it got interesting... I was ok with the volume, but picked up some pretty strong drone in the 1,800-2,200 range which obviously is where it's always at in the daily commute. 6.5/10.

Most would probably be fine at this point, but being my daily driver, and my younger loud and obnoxious days are over.

Step 4: Custom made J-bends. Fabbed up my own out of Summit brand 2.5" stainless J-bends. 25" overall length. Added them right before the axle back joint, but after the main 90° under the axle. This not only 100% eliminated the in cabin drone, but also dropped the volume down significantly when just cruising, but still barks to life at hard throttle more than 50%. Idle, light acceleration, and cold start 3/10. But at 50% or more throttle above 3,000 rpm roars at about a 6/10. Below is the only fab picture I managed to grab, and yes in that picture the exhaust system is upside down.

One of these weekends I plan on pulling the entire system out now that its complete and painting it the metallized silver you see on the resonator add in sections. It is all stainless including the welds, but want it all to look the same.

Worth noting I also have the entire trunk, and backseat completely lined with a couple layers of dynamat extreme, and dynapad. I plan on doing this to the entire floor, roof, and door panels eventually as well. So my perceived in cabin sound level may be slightly less than what others would get. FWIW I would recommend doing this no matter what exhaust you have if any. Really reduces road noise of the tires and bumps in the road.

Thanks for reading!:headbang:

j-bend.jpg
Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I'm much like you in looking for that perfect sound and spent more $ than I care to admit on my previous V8 car ... only thing I might do with my current setup is replace the stock res with a Magnaflow resonated X-pipe but still not sure of that but wish I had your fabrication skills.

Volstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Great work! Even better info. I currently have Pypes Street Pro Axle back and love the sound and volume level but don't want it any louder. At some point I want to add long tubes but I don't want an obnoxiously loud car. I want the HP gain without all the volume. Maybe a combo of resonators and J-pipes are the answer. Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
Jay-rod427

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Great work! Even better info. I currently have Pypes Street Pro Axle back and love the sound and volume level but don't want it any louder. At some point I want to add long tubes but I don't want an obnoxiously loud car. I want the HP gain without all the volume. Maybe a combo of resonators and J-pipes are the answer. Thanks for sharing!
Honestly at this point if I had a redo I would skip the resos knowing how much the j-pipes knocked it back down. Worst case is add them after J's, and headers. Since I did the cat deletes and resos at the same time I don't know how much difference the resos actually made.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Could have just bought a corsa exhaust

I did the whole install an axelback, then add H-pipe, then re-add stock resonator, then not happy with volume dance. I wish I had just bought a full system in the first place and saved the money.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jay-rod427

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Could have just bought a corsa exhaust

I did the whole install an axelback, then add H-pipe, then re-add stock resonator, then not happy with volume dance. I wish I had just bought a full system in the first place and saved the money.
Lame! Not to mention the Corsa price... I wanted to do all this to learn what each step does, and I enjoy fabbing stuff up. I have way less $$$ in this setup then even a Corsa catback not including headers/deletes.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Lame! Not to mention the Corsa price... I wanted to do all this to learn what each step does, and I enjoy fabbing stuff up. I have way less $$$ in this setup then even a Corsa catback not including headers/deletes.
I bought mine used so was only $800. There is a decent amount of R&D that goes into making a good sound and volume without drone. I wish I had just accepted that instead of being cheap in the first place

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I bought mine used so was only $800. There is a decent amount of R&D that goes into making a good sound and volume without drone. I wish I had just accepted that instead of being cheap in the first place
I had a similar lesson. Got my axleback for $500 lightly used. Had I known how good it would be I'd have happily paid the $1000 initially instead of di*king around and spending $600 on my previous setup.

OP
OP
Jay-rod427

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
For anyone curious here is some sound analyzer screenshots before and after the j-bends. The wicked drone peak is completely gone. These were both at 60mph cruising down the highway. That peak moved up and down the range with RPM just as the math would tell you.

Before:

IMG_3567.PNG

After:

IMG_3569.PNG

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
buying exhaust for this car was such a pain in the ass. i listened to countless youtube vids which really dont justify shit. ended up just doing a 3" stype catback and havent looked back. got my kooks headers coming this week, so its just to be fun to try and quiet it down some more if i feel i need to

OP
OP
Jay-rod427

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
I've had multiple people pm me and ask if I had any soundclips of this setup, and I tell them no as you said youtube clips don't really tell you the whole story. Just have to hear it in person to really get the depth of the sound.
Sponsored