Sponsored

Everyone Needs an Internet "Kill Switch" ...

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Consumer Watchdog issued a report finding all the top 2020 cars have Internet connections to safety critical systems that leave them vulnerable to fleet wide hacks, and that a fleet wide hack at rush-hour could result in a 9-11 scale catastrophe with approximately 3,000 deaths.

The report, "Kill Switch: Why Connected Cars Can Be Killing Machines And How To Turn Them Off" [KILL SWITCH 7-29-19_0.pdf] reveals that automakers have disclosed the high risk of such hacks to their investors, but are keeping the public in the dark as they market new features based on Internet connections. For example, Ford disclosed to the SEC in its 10K filing that the company and its suppliers have been the subject of a malicious hack, but the public is blind to the facts.

Here's the kicker: the report recommends that automakers install a 50-cent Internet "kill switch" to protect against the threat. Seems so cost-effective as to be a no-brainer; we have them on computers that arenā€™t built into cars.
Sponsored

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoostā„¢, Vert, MagneRideĀ® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Run away !

Wait... You can't.

O, well.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Sounds like they need to start installing a VPN on all these so called "smart cars" with internet connections...

Sponsored

EPTS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I'm not afraid of my car taking off on its own. I leave my car parked in neutral. Lol

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
While this is a big worry I think the bigger problems for those of us who arenā€™t targeted would be information gathering.

One thing most people fail to realize about anything with your name attached (Facebook,forums,driving information, literally anything else) is the information never disappears.

It is bought, sold, analyzed, centralized, and used.
I'm sure that there are limits to what kinds of information can legally be given out, at least currently. There'd have to be a privacy policy, and you'd probably have to keep up with any changes made to it.

But this sort of electronic snooping is real. A few weeks ago I put my "cold season" wheels and tires on the WRX in my sig. New wheels and tires and no TPMS sensors. Couple days later I got an email from Subaru notifying me that something was amiss with my car's TPMS and that I should bring it in and have the "problem" looked at.

There appears to be a second antenna line with a connector that could perhaps be disconnected . . .

Norm
Sponsored