ESC

Peter Avis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2017mustang
Has anyone noticed that the ESC takes what seems like a long time to kick in? I nearly binned it last night in the rain when it snapped out sideways, I caught it but couldn't help thinking the wheelslip should have been stopped sooner. I was driving cautiously by the way!
Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
G'day Peter I haven't noted it as being slow to trigger, did you def have it in Snow/Rain mode?

OP
OP

Peter Avis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2017mustang
G'day Peter I haven't noted it as being slow to trigger, did you def have it in Snow/Rain mode?
No, it was in the default setting - I had not thought of changing it for the bad weather! Only had it for 5 years next month! Thanks for the tip, will try to remember next time.

BruceTheQuail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
That was my experience with PZeros too (on my other car). Steering is fine, but they get slippery really easy and if you break traction once you'll be doing it for the rest of the drive.

Oddly enough on the mustang (supersports, staggered 10 and 11 inch from memory) I have only broken traction a few times in the year that I have had it though the tyres only have 5,000km on them. On my other car with about 20,000km on the supersports it is definitely inclined to step out, especially in the wet.

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Embarrassed to say 5 years next month! Done 44000 kms but not worn out yet.
er...different Peter :) ([USER=61206]@BruceTheQuail is a Peter also)

5 years is long enough for them to start going hard, plus 44k km would suggest less than optimum tread depth for wet weather in a rear drive car with even modest grunt.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Has anyone noticed that the ESC takes what seems like a long time to kick in? I nearly binned it last night in the rain when it snapped out sideways, I caught it but couldn't help thinking the wheelslip should have been stopped sooner. I was driving cautiously by the way!
I ran the factory Pirelli's for about 4 years before switching to Michelin PS4S's. Obviously the Pirelli's were limited in their ability, but even the benchmark PS4S can be overwhelmed on a wet road.

I just think it's how Ford calibrated the DSC on the Mustang. I have commented before how the system lets the car get WAY out of shape before chiming in, and when it does, it's abrupt. In some ways, that lets the driver have a little fun and make corrections naturally. However, on a wet and busy road, that much play in the system is not desirable or appropriate.

To me, the amount of slip it allows should have probably been reserved for the sport mode.

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Never used that mode......................how dare you insinuate that I drive in the rain.
giggle.gif
:crackup:

Obviously the Pirelli's were limited in their ability, but even the benchmark PS4S can be overwhelmed on a wet road.
And here was I thinking that you ONLY drive in the rain ie no point driving in the dry when you can go for a spin in the wet and do twice as much detailing when you get home 🤔 :giggle:

OP
OP

Peter Avis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2017mustang
Never used that mode......................how dare you insinuate that I drive in the rain. :giggle:
Did you find that even in Snow/Rain mode?
OK, question - does snow/rain mode work for manual gearbox? I know it changes up gears earlier in an auto but what can it do for a manual?

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Whether it works or not is probably beyond doubt since the button is there to enable it.

The throttle on mine gets noticeably doughier and the DSC seems to be in far more of a nanny mode

Last edited:

BruceTheQuail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
er...different Peter :) ([USER=61206]@BruceTheQuail is a Peter also)

5 years is long enough for them to start going hard, plus 44k km would suggest less than optimum tread depth for wet weather in a rear drive car with even modest grunt.
Mine (on the F Type) are probably getting on 4 years old now. Getting a fair amount of wheelspin in the dry on it even a bit putting your foot down at speed, though it is quite a quick car. Noticed them getting slippery over the past 6 months or so, even a touch of lateral drift which was a bit of a heart starter. Thinking on it, you are probably right about them potentially going hard, especially given it doesnt get driven 3 - 4 days a week.
Sponsored