Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Hello,

When I try to add quotes into a message, sometimes I get this error:

Screenshot 2020-12-21 at 09.02.41.png

This used to happen only on my work computer, where I use Chrome under Windows 10, but never with Safari on my personal Mac. So I assumed it had something to do with my browser. I know Chrome has some peculiarities and thought this might be just one of them.
But now I've started seeing it on my Mac, too.
The Reply option always works - it will immediately insert the quote into a new message. It's just the Insert Quotes option that fails.

Is this a known issue? Has anybody else noticed it?

Thank you.
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello,

When I try to add quotes into a message, sometimes I get this error:

Screenshot 2020-12-21 at 09.02.41.png

This used to happen only on my work computer, where I use Chrome under Windows 10, but never with Safari on my personal Mac. So I assumed it had something to do with my browser. I know Chrome has some peculiarities and thought this might be just one of them.
But now I've started seeing it on my Mac, too.
The Reply option always works - it will immediately insert the quote into a new message. It's just the Insert Quotes option that fails.

Is this a known issue? Has anybody else noticed it?

Thank you.
Hello; This very same thing is happening to me. The first few times it happened the issue would only last a day or so. The issue has been constant for many days now.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; This issue is still happening for me. Any update.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; Yes this is what happens for me. I can use the reply feature fine. But cannot quote portions of a post. Been this way for weeks.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Hello; Yes this is what happens for me. I can use the reply feature fine. But cannot quote portions of a post. Been this way for weeks.
Howdy.

Without getting too far into the [technical] weeds: when you REPLY, the system takes the post contents and immediately writes it into the reply textarea (with the appropriate QUOTE tags).

When you +Quote a post, it adds the post (probably the post ID) to a client side cookie. As you may know, a cookie is a small bit of storage in a browser, that's allocated to a specific site.

When you click Insert Quotes, the browser reads the "quote cookie", opens the dialog box, and displays the quotes.

Since there's a ton of other Javascript in a site like this, and that seems to be working for you (like the reply-to-post), this sounds like it's something specific with cookies, and your browser.

I cross checked on MacOS Safari and Chrome, iPadOS Safari and Chrome, and Win10 Chrome, they all work as expected.

What browser and OS are you using?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Howdy.

Without getting too far into the [technical] weeds: when you REPLY, the system takes the post contents and immediately writes it into the reply textarea (with the appropriate QUOTE tags).

When you +Quote a post, it adds the post (probably the post ID) to a client side cookie. As you may know, a cookie is a small bit of storage in a browser, that's allocated to a specific site.

When you click Insert Quotes, the browser reads the "quote cookie", opens the dialog box, and displays the quotes.

Since there's a ton of other Javascript in a site like this, and that seems to be working for you (like the reply-to-post), this sounds like it's something specific with cookies, and your browser.

I cross checked on MacOS Safari and Chrome, iPadOS Safari and Chrome, and Win10 Chrome, they all work as expected.

What browser and OS are you using?
Hello; Not sure what a browser and OS are. I have a windows 10 computer and use Microsoft Edge.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Hello; Not sure what a browser and OS are. I have a windows 10 computer and use Microsoft Edge.
It's exactly that! Windows = OS (Operating System) and Browser = Edge

So I checked that out as well, again, working as expected, do you have any kind of extensions in Edge? If you click the three dots in the top right corner to open the main menu, a new menu items down you'll see Extensions, if you select that:

1617988330526.png

You'll come to a page that shows anything installed - Extensions are little browser enhancement programs, things like AdBlockers, but some of them can be cranky with certain sites:

1617988444340.png

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
The other thing I would suggest, just to cross check your Browser (Edge), is to install either Chrome or Firefox - you might not want to use either long term, but it would help to isolate the issue (if both work, it's likely specific to Edge).

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
It's exactly that! Windows = OS (Operating System) and Browser = Edge

So I checked that out as well, again, working as expected, do you have any kind of extensions in Edge? If you click the three dots in the top right corner to open the main menu, a new menu items down you'll see Extensions, if you select that:

1617988330526.png

You'll come to a page that shows anything installed - Extensions are little browser enhancement programs, things like AdBlockers, but some of them can be cranky with certain sites:

1617988444340.png
Hello; Did as you suggested. I do not have any extensions at all.

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
The other thing I would suggest, just to cross check your Browser (Edge), is to install either Chrome or Firefox - you might not want to use either long term, but it would help to isolate the issue (if both work, it's likely specific to Edge).
Hello; Question? If I use Chrome or Firefox, how do I get rid of them later? For example I looked at Spotify a few weeks ago to see what it is about. I did not use it to purchase anything and closed it out. Now every time I turn on the computer that program tries to start up. I do not plan to ever use it but do not know how to make it go away.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Hello; Question? If I use Chrome or Firefox, how do I get rid of them later? For example I looked at Spotify a few weeks ago to see what it is about. I did not use it to purchase anything and closed it out. Now every time I turn on the computer that program tries to start up. I do not plan to ever use it but do not know how to make it go away.

In Windows, you;ll go into Apps & Features, you can use the search bar and looks for 'app' and you'll see Add or Remove Programs:

1618015317892.png

Open that and you can select an app and use the Uninstall option:

1618015396971.png
Sponsored