Sponsored

ECU Reset - how to do it?

dab86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Can someone tell me how to reset the ecu? My car has been feeling sluggish. It could be all in my mind but I'm going to switch from 91 to 93 octane then reset the ecu. I don't have a tune yet but I do have axle back and an x pipe and a wide open grille. So maybe the computer needs a fresh restart.

Does this work on mustangs? It did on my old Camaro.

Thanx
Sponsored

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
On the SS you had to pull fuse #5 and #20 if i remember correctly. Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a while?

OP
OP

dab86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yep that's what I did on my SS. I have not tried to reset anything on the mustang yet. I wanna fill up with 93 first and make sure I actually reset the ecu correctly.

BallisticBurrito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I dunno about the ECU but when I unhooked the positive from the battery to install a strut tower brace I had to re-set the time and date after! :lol:

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I dunno about the ECU but when I unhooked the positive from the battery to install a strut tower brace I had to re-set the time and date after! :lol:
In the manual it says you have to reset the windows as well as letting the engine to relearn idle.

Sponsored

OP
OP

dab86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So I just need to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery for 30 min and I should be good to go?

Budwise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Yep, this is called a KAM reset. Just disconnect the battery for half an hour.

wmsky33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 6MT Competition Orange
Found this on another Mustang site (text in brackets [] is mine):

Re: Resetting KAM "Keep Alive Memory" when doing mods to your Ford
Some of what has been posted is not entirely accurate and there is a much faster method to clear the KAM (Keep Alive Memory).
The KAM can be reset using a capable scan tool in a few seconds. If you don't have a capable scan tool disconnecting the PCM (computer) for 10 seconds will also work. Another method is to remove the positive battery cable and connect a jumper to the positive battery cable end to ground for 10 seconds. [To be absolutely clear, this is connecting the positive battery cable to ground after you have removed it from the battery.]
If you leave the battery disconnected for a long enough period it will reset the KAM provided the back-up power supply is discharged. The backup power supply is mainly used for the air bags, but it will feed other modules for a period of time also.
It should also be noted that anytime you load a new tune into the PCM the KAM is reset also.
It normally takes about 50 to 100 miles for the PCM's adaptive strategy to relearn. When you 1st start the car after resetting the KAM you should let it idle a couple minutes with everything turned of in park/neutral. Then turn the a/c on for a few mins, and after that put the vehicle in gear for a few mins if you've got an auto trans. When your done relearning the idle strategy, drive the vehicle like you normally would. I do not recommend driving it in a manner out of the ordinary at this time.

Credit goes to BigB427 of stangsunited.com. Here's a link to the original post:

http://stangsunited.com/showthread.php?1640-Resetting-KAM-quot-Keep-Alive-Memory-quot-when-doing-mods-to-your-Ford&p=185007&viewfull=1#post185007
Sponsored