Sponsored

Drove a '19 GT base manual, clutch engagement question?

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I’ve has my 19 GT for a couple months now. Whatever weirdness I experienced on the test drive is gone now. My car is all stock mechanically and clutch feels great.
It's a different bird for sure but a little practice .....you won't look back
Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
stock clutch spring is too springy and gives a very vague engagement point.

the steeda 35lb spring makes night and day difference, but i dont think you'll find any mustangs on the lot with the steeda spring installed.
This

Not sure what Ford were thinking putting such a vague clutch spring in

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I think the trans in these cars is overly notchy, and I often have trouble hitting 3rd when "racing" the car. When I am driving slowly, the shifter needs almost zero effort. I may be changing the trans fluid soon to see if that helps.

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
I've had no such issues. I think a lot of people these days have expectations that are ridiculous. A Mustang GT is not a race car, it's a production low priced sports car. Do you think back in the 60's, people bitched about the Muncie M22 rock crusher trans being "too hard to shift" or "notchy"? If you're gonna race, buy or build a race car. Otherwise you're just waiting to break shit, no matter what. Ask guys who drag race how many passes down the strip they get before something breaks.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I've had no such issues. I think a lot of people these days have expectations that are ridiculous. A Mustang GT is not a race car, it's a production low priced sports car. Do you think back in the 60's, people bitched about the Muncie M22 rock crusher trans being "too hard to shift" or "notchy"? If you're gonna race, buy or build a race car. Otherwise you're just waiting to break shit, no matter what. Ask guys who drag race how many passes down the strip they get before something breaks.
Completely silly. I am not talking about drag racing. My 2008 GT and my 2011 STI both had better shifting transmissions than this 2018 MT82 equipped GT. There is a large percentage of owners on here who successfully race the Mustang. It is well equipped to be used as a race car, and only needs a few small modifications to really work well. Complaints over the MT82 have existed since the early years. It's definitely one of the few downsides of buying a Mustang. Please don't compare ancient transmission tech to modern vehicles. That's as ignorant as saying people shouldn't complain if their 2018 doesn't start in cold weather because the old carbed engines had issues starting.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I’d upgrade to the Steeda spring if I was dissatisfied with the stock clutch. But I honestly have zero issues with my ‘19 GT base manual and the way it shifts/engages. Except for wheels/tires, it’ll remain 100% stock. This thing is a beast right of the box. Perfect.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
That's as ignorant as saying people shouldn't complain if their 2018 doesn't start in cold weather because the old carbed engines had issues starting.
Flashback to college. Crank. Nothing. Crank. Nothing. Crank. Nothing. Pop hood. Remove air cleaner cover. Prop choke plate open with ballpoint. Spray starting fluid down carb. Crank. Bang. Crank. Running. Remove pen before it falls into something.

Good times.

Last edited:

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I had trouble finding third gear when smashing on the car at first too. It takes a smooth shift to prevent lock out. After I found an article or two explaining the notorious 3rd gear lock out it made a lot more sense and I've had no issues.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I had trouble finding third gear when smashing on the car at first too. It takes a smooth shift to prevent lock out. After I found an article or two explaining the notorious 3rd gear lock out it made a lot more sense and I've had no issues.
I can be a bit hard on it when the adrenaline is rushing. I am hearing a lot of improvement as the mileage increases and also with a change to something like BG fluid. It's not the worst shifting trans I have owned, but I know it can be better with a little work.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I know what you mean. I'm used to slamming third gear much harder than the mt82 will allow. I've adjusted pretty well in my 4 months of ownership though. Put close to 8000 miles on it already.
Sponsored