Sponsored

Drove a '16 GT, was not very fast

project2501

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
A lot of what I'm going to say has been mentioned in this thread already but I'll throw in my opinion too.

1) the powerband feels almost more like a high-revving inline 4 than a grunt-down-low 'murica V8. You have to wind out the coyote to really get power.

2) all the nannies really tone things down when you step on the loud pedal, sport mode at least is a must if you want to enjoy the car.

3) brembos definitely took some getting used to, when I first got the car they were VERY grabby. After 2000 miles they seem to have chilled out a bit, that or I'm just used to them by now. When I get in my girlfriends '11 fiesta I feel like I have to push the mushy ass pedal to the floor to get any kind of braking out of it.
Sponsored

SnoopisTDI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 2015 GTPP, Recaros, 2004 Lexus GX470
I don't have time to read 7 pages right now, but is it possible the car was in transport mode or something like that?

As for the brakes, they are touchy but you (mostly) get used to it and you will get a feel for braking gently.

benni302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red PP GT

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
I would like to know what wheels and tire size you are talking about. I've noticed most 20" wheels and wider tires weigh the same as the stock PP wheel/tire combo.

IMO the catback install did not make it feel any quicker apart from just making the car lively with exhaust sound.

I don't think Catbacks gain any power, I was just meaning sound is an important part of the experience and can make it feel much more engaging. Forgestar cf5v's (19lb) are 14-15lb lighter than the factory performance package wheels (33-34lb) on each corner. I wouldn't be surprised if there are others around that weight available. I wouldn't go larger than 19 (really 18, but already have 19's so meh) if I was interested in weight savings for the wheels. The Michelin pilot supersports weigh 2lb less per corner than stock pirrellis. You're saving about 58-68 pounds of pure rotating mass with stock size and offset going this route. This will make a very noticeable difference in responsiveness and a noticeable difference to acceleration too. I don't really feel the need to go wider at this point, but I'm mainly interested in road courses so I may be different than most :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
OK. I finally started really standing on it, WOT, hard shifts, wow, yeah, just to punctuate my comments above, it's is definitely fast.

This Coyote just pulls and pulls when it gets into the high RPMs - last night we finally had a little taste of some cool weather and with close to 500 miles on the motor, I was pretty damn impressed.
The most impressive thing to me is a WOT pull on the highway/getting on the highway in 3rd and 4th. The rate the speed builds is incredible, yet the car is stable as can be. A lot of cars are quick to 60 mph. Not as many are fast from 60-100+.

Sponsored

DJ Red Barron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Barron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat / 1986 Buick GN
I'll chime in a bit I guess. For a daily driver, it's fast enough. I've been in a lot of quick cars over the years and have no problem with the performance level. It pulls hard and is a hell of a lot of fun. No, it's not a 600+ HP beast of a car in the power department. But it also didn't cost $65k (and up), either.

It is, however, definitely waaaay to quiet in stock form. But there are more than a few options to fix that problem. Just as there are plenty of power adders out there to make it faster.

havasu486

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350 Electronics Package, Lead Foot Gray
Brembos

I ordered a new '16 GT 2 weeks ago. I went back to the dealer to test drive a new GT stick with the performance package which they did not have when I ordered.
I have two issues I would appreciate the group to consider and reply to.

1. The GT was spirited by not anything close to 'fast.' I sincerely expected 435 HP to be musch more impressive. And this was with the 3.73 gear set! I was disappointed in the somewhat faint performance. Since the brand new car was running on fumes, the dealer put 10 gallons of regular gas in it. How much performance is lost by running regular which will cause the ignition to be retarded to avoid detonation? Please no flames or hurt feelings. This is a valid opinion and question.

2. The car had the performance pack. The Brembo brakes were super sensitive and grabbed at the slightest touch of the pedal. Was that a product of it being new? Will an owner of P.P report how the brakes are after break in?

Thanks!

BTW, the car was way too quiet. Now I understand why so many owners are upgrading to new exhaust to recover the real muscle car growl and rumble.
Yes they are sensitive at first but you will get used to them in no time.

Coyotestang13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang 5.0 MT82 3.73
Running through the gears the Coyote is fast. Being in a high gear at low rpms has a little lag initially below 2,500 rpm. A tune can fix that from what I hear even Ford Racing canned tune.

havasu486

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350 Electronics Package, Lead Foot Gray
Ford Racing Tune

Running through the gears the Coyote is fast. Being in a high gear at low rpms has a little lag initially below 2,500 rpm. A tune can fix that from what I hear even Ford Racing canned tune.
Still waiting on the Ford Racing Tune. Could be first quarter next year is what I heard last but that is a could be.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
It did. I bought mine new. It was cheaper then a current gt depending what options you get. Couldnt careless what inflation is. 10 years later 400hp isnt fast. Is it one of the fastest cars for the money compared to other cars, yeah. Fast over all, nope.
Well, ignoring inflation, at one point a Ferrari was cheaper too. I can't see how you keep saying "cheaper" when in reality no, it was not.

Regardless, how is 435 HP not fast? I think you are just nitpicking...

Yes, "fast" is ultimately a relative term, but why are you comparing a car that starts at 32K to in your words "1,000 HP" cars?

Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Option for option, the S197 was signifcantly more expensive than the S550. When the 2014 B&P was available along side the 2015, the S197 priced around $43000 for what would be $38500 in a S550. The base car itself may have been cheaper, but the economies of scale and effect of Moore's law made what were once very expensive optional add ons ('tech package', back up camera, etc) become basically standard and barely had an impact on overall price.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Still waiting on the Ford Racing Tune. Could be first quarter next year is what I heard last but that is a could be.
They have been saying that for a year now. Who knows is anyones guess.

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
My BMW 335i felt faster around town, the coyote is lagging in TQ down low, you gotta find a road to open it up. Weight is also a factor, these cars are not light.
In a perfect world I would want the bmw I6 N54 engine, exhaust note of the new voodoo, with the 15 mustangs looks, reduced to the size of say a 05 mustang, with AWD and a DCT

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
My BMW 335i felt faster around town, the coyote is lagging in TQ down low, you gotta find a road to open it up. Weight is also a factor, these cars are not light.
In a perfect world I would want the bmw I6 N54 engine, exhaust note of the new voodoo, with the 15 mustangs looks, reduced to the size of say a 05 mustang, with AWD and a DCT
Supposedly the next Hyundai Genesis Coupe will have a 3.0L twin turbo V6 with AWD. Might be more up your alley haha.

bay584

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
OK, I am sure I am about to get lit up by all the GT guys in here. But, here goes.

I agree with the OP and some of the others who have said that the GT didn't FEEL that fast. I'm not saying it's not a fast car (also, I am not personally insulting anyone on here or calling anyone's baby ugly) because it is a fast car. This is a big part of the reason that I ended up buying the Ecoboost (again, not a personal attack, not saying the GT is slow, and not saying the EB is faster than a GT). I knew I wanted a 2015 as soon as i saw the first pic. For the longest time I was convinced that it had to be a GT and that I would never buy a Mustang with anything other than a V8. But, then I drove them. The first one i drove was an auto EB and I was pleasantly surprised. It was a while longer before I could finally drive a GT (which also happened to be an auto). I was expecting to be absolutely blown away by the difference between the EB and the GT and I just wasn't. Don't get me wrong, it was quick. But, I walked away feeling really conflicted. I really wanted to want the GT more than the EB, but I didn't. So, I ended up with the EB and haven't looked back. I have played with a couple 5.0s and i while I could hang with them for a little bit, they'd eventually pull away from me. So, I have no illusions that my car is as fast or faster than a GT - at least not stock. I haven't had a chance to play after my tune. But, it's a different driving experience. Especially when I roll down the window and hear the beautiful turbo music and a little woosh from the BOV. So, in closing: GTs are not slow, I am not attacking anyone personally. I love all Mustangs... except for V6s... kidding of course.
Thanks for this PamAndJim. It really resonated in me. We all come from different backgrounds and environments. Not to :repost: but for my particular situation I am coming from a 599cc I-4 which sits between my legs wink wink. So my personal love is with acceleration. Don't get me wrong, I'm as 'Murica as they come. If I could, I would listen to Ronald Reagan on the radio while watching Rocky IV and Roadhouse at the same time while enjoying a huge T-Bone steak with a Coke in my 'Murica tank. I love American Muscle regardless of brand but I am just infatuated with acceleration over speed.

I had the full expectation of being blown away after driving the GT, not to mention adding a few more hairs on my chest but even in Track mode (made sure I switched it when the salesman was texting). Alas I wasn't and that is okay. But I just wanted to say that I felt the exact same way you did and still have the respect for GT (auto/manual drivers) regardless.

Now I either waiting for the FoRS, 20** 3.5L V6 Ecoboost, or a Used Ecoboost PP Premium that I can get for cheap and upgrade that turbo.
Sponsored