Drag radial comparison - what's the "stickiest"

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R / 2021 Shelby GT500
Posted this in "Wheels and Tires". Got a lot of views but no feedback. Decided to repost here. Appreciate any feedback.

Currently running 305/35/19 Nitto NT05Rs on the rear of my 2018 Roush Phase II Supercharged GT. While the Nittos are sticky, I've had some traction issues at lower speeds and higher rpms (mainly 1st - 2nd gear). Planning to go to a 19x11 rear rim and run 325/35/19s on the rear. This car is currently in the performance shop and will likely be coming back at 750+ rwhp. So improved traction is of importance. I am evaluating the following options. I have heard good feedback on the MT ET Street S/S. Curious to hear others input on the below rear tire options.

1. Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S
2. Toyo Proxes R888R (not advertised as a "drag radial", but heard this is a very good and sticky tire)
3. Nitto NT01 (not advertised as a "drag radial")

If there are other "sticky" drag radial options I should be considering, please let me know. My cars do not see rain, so no need to provide input on drag radials that can also handle wet conditions. So far, the 2018 GT has not been to the drag strip. Mostly hard / spirited driving. Hope to get it to the strip later this summer.

Thanks for the input.
Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Toyo's will give you great traction if you're limited to a 19 or 20" and want stability at very high speeds and of course corning ability. They kept my car the most stable while making aggressive maneuvers under wot. Best overall R rated street tire. Was never able to do a burnout without using brake. They just bite

Want a little cheaper option with better traction from a dig, with the nannies off, go with a Nitto 555rii. At your planned power level I would think about a drag pack on the rear if you want to come close to hooking. 17 or 15". You need the bite more sidewall will give you.

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Toyo's will give you great traction if you're limited to a 19 or 20" and want stability at very high speeds and of course corning ability. They kept my car the most stable while making aggressive maneuvers under wot. Best overall R rated street tire. Was never able to do a burnout without using brake. They just bite

Want a little cheaper option with better traction from a dig, with the nannies off, go with a Nitto 555rii. At your planned power level I would think about a drag pack on the rear if you want to come close to hooking. 17 or 15". You need the bite more sidewall will give you.
Very helpful intel.

The Roush Supercharged GT will not see the track much - if ever. That's what the GT350R is for. I do plan to take the Supercharged GT to the dragstrip later this year.

I think I am more concerned about traction from a dig, lower gear and higher rpms. Not necessarily a hard launch, but playful enough. Would like to enjoy some of 1st and 2nd gear in this car.

Reason for not going to a drag pack - based on multiple back and forth discussion with the performance shop and based on my primary driving habits, we did not go with upgrade half shafts. We did upgrade to a forged AL driveshaft. The performance shop indicated that upgraded halfshafts were not needed - unless - I wanted to go to a much stickier tire / slick for the drag strip (like if I was hitting the drag strip every weekend as opposed to a few times a year). Said my planned power levels on sticky drag radials on the road would be fine and they have seen many customers handle 800 rwhp on stock halfshafts.

The Nitto 555rii does not come in 325/19; only comes in 305 and 345. So that option may be out. I did hear from someone else on the threads that the Nitto 555rii was better than the NT05R due to its sidewall construction and providing more traction from a launch.

Curious you did not have any feedback on the MT ET S/S. Have you run that tire before?

Thanks.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Very helpful intel.

The Roush Supercharged GT will not see the track much - if ever. That's what the GT350R is for. I do plan to take the Supercharged GT to the dragstrip later this year.

I think I am more concerned about traction from a dig, lower gear and higher rpms. Not necessarily a hard launch, but playful enough. Would like to enjoy some of 1st and 2nd gear in this car.

Reason for not going to a drag pack - based on multiple back and forth discussion with the performance shop and based on my primary driving habits, we did not go with upgrade half shafts. We did upgrade to a forged AL driveshaft. The performance shop indicated that upgraded halfshafts were not needed - unless - I wanted to go to a much stickier tire / slick for the drag strip (like if I was hitting the drag strip every weekend as opposed to a few times a year). Said my planned power levels on sticky drag radials on the road would be fine and they have seen many customers handle 800 rwhp on stock halfshafts.

The Nitto 555rii does not come in 325/19; only comes in 305 and 345. So that option may be out. I did hear from someone else on the threads that the Nitto 555rii was better than the NT05R due to its sidewall construction and providing more traction from a launch.

Curious you did not have any feedback on the MT ET S/S. Have you run that tire before?

Thanks.
N
Are you mt82? I have never heard of a Roush guy snapping his half shafts. Big ole 10k post Roush thread on here and not one has broken a half shaft that I can recall. Aftermarket tuned or otherwise. Guy just ran a 10.01 with stock half shafts and he’s a Ford mechanic. But that’s on an A10.

streets are sticky. Most people stay away from them due to complaints about stability at high speeds. They’re going to be about the same as the Toyos and Nitto 555rii as far as stickiness but they’re just not as good overall. They all have their negatives. Toyos great for roll racing at super high speeds, and hard launches as good as the others but are loud af, expensive, and dont last long. I mean loud. Personally if I were you I’d forget the 325’s and go 305. Extra width isn’t going do that much. Sidewall and compound are what matter. I was launching on 20” 285’s with all the nannies off so hard it felt like my back end was going break off. That’s on Michigan shit roads. But at your power level you’re going have some difficulties without more sidewall. A lot guys, myself included, end up biting the bullet at going drag pack. Just IMHO

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Nicky Thompson ET street R’s are without a doubt the stickiest drag radials you can buy.

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
You don't need wider. You need more surface pressure to dig into the asphalt. How low are you airing down the NT05R's when you want maximum traction? If you want them to grab hard, you should run them around 20-22psi cold on the street (25-27psi normal cruising)... You mentioned being lowered, this also reduces weight transfer FYI. Especially if they are stiffer springs as well.... IMO< most DR's with R compound, grip very similar. I find the DR's that actually have tread patterns, work better than those with hardly any tread to grip the texture variances of typical street asphalt.

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
You don't need wider. You need more surface pressure to dig into the asphalt. How low are you airing down the NT05R's when you want maximum traction? If you want them to grab hard, you should run them around 20-22psi cold on the street (25-27psi normal cruising)... You mentioned being lowered, this also reduces weight transfer FYI. Especially if they are stiffer springs as well.... IMO< most DR's with R compound, grip very similar. I find the DR's that actually have tread patterns, work better than those with hardly any tread to grip the texture variances of typical street asphalt.
That is very helpful intel. I keep them at 30 PSI on the road. I will try airing down when I get the car back from the shop later this month.

If I wider (19x11 rim) with a 325 tire, I am strongly considering the Toyo R888Rs - based on the majority of my driving on the street. I think they could handle a few visits to the drag strip just fine, and as you suggest, I can air them down a bit.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
That is very helpful intel. I keep them at 30 PSI on the road. I will try airing down when I get the car back from the shop later this month.

If I wider (19x11 rim) with a 325 tire, I am strongly considering the Toyo R888Rs - based on the majority of my driving on the street. I think they could handle a few visits to the drag strip just fine, and as you suggest, I can air them down a bit.
A true Drag Radial will outperform any Toyo R888R in straight line traction. The R888R's are still mainly designed for road/race auto-X events.

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
N
Are you mt82? I have never heard of a Roush guy snapping his half shafts. Big ole 10k post Roush thread on here and not one has broken a half shaft that I can recall. Aftermarket tuned or otherwise. Guy just ran a 10.01 with stock half shafts and he’s a Ford mechanic. But that’s on an A10.

streets are sticky. Most people stay away from them due to complaints about stability at high speeds. They’re going to be about the same as the Toyos and Nitto 555rii as far as stickiness but they’re just not as good overall. They all have their negatives. Toyos great for roll racing at super high speeds, and hard launches as good as the others but are loud af, expensive, and dont last long. I mean loud. Personally if I were you I’d forget the 325’s and go 305. Extra width isn’t going do that much. Sidewall and compound are what matter. I was launching on 20” 285’s with all the nannies off so hard it felt like my back end was going break off. That’s on Michigan shit roads. But at your power level you’re going have some difficulties without more sidewall. A lot guys, myself included, end up biting the bullet at going drag pack. Just IMHO
That seems consistent with that I was advised. Unless you are a regular drag strip guy running true drag pack / slicks at this kind of power level, the stock halfshafts will hold just fine. The performance shop was adamant that upgraded halfshafts were not necessary at this time. Believe ne - spending plenty of money elsewhere on the 2018 Supercharged GT this year (say $11k all in with performance mods, other mods, and rims / tires).

Seems like the Toyo R888Rs and the Nitto 555riis have more sidewall structure benefits to offer in an R compound. Am I summarizing this correctly? This could be a good overall combo with 285 R888Rs on the front and 325 R888Rs on the rear. Before I transition to the new 325s, I can run the hell out of the 305 Nitto Nt05Rs (they're fit perfectly on a 19x11 rim).

The tire noise on the R888Rs does not worry me; with the long-tube headers and the Flowmaster Outlaw exhaust, the Supercharged GT will already sounds like a damn freight train screaming down the road.

Can you share more intel and/or pics of your drag pack setup? Would like to learn more. Thanks.

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
That seems consistent with that I was advised. Unless you are a regular drag strip guy running true drag pack / slicks at this kind of power level, the stock halfshafts will hold just fine. The performance shop was adamant that upgraded halfshafts were not necessary at this time. Believe ne - spending plenty of money elsewhere on the 2018 Supercharged GT this year (say $11k all in with performance mods, other mods, and rims / tires).

Seems like the Toyo R888Rs and the Nitto 555riis have more sidewall structure benefits to offer in an R compound. Am I summarizing this correctly? This could be a good overall combo with 285 R888Rs on the front and 325 R888Rs on the rear. Before I transition to the new 325s, I can run the hell out of the 305 Nitto Nt05Rs (they're fit perfectly on a 19x11 rim).

The tire noise on the R888Rs does not worry me; with the long-tube headers and the Flowmaster Outlaw exhaust, the Supercharged GT will already sounds like a damn freight train screaming down the road.

Can you share more intel and/or pics of your drag pack setup? Would like to learn more. Thanks.
I don't personally have a drag pack. If i don't sell I will be going to E85 and in that event it would be the Forgestar F14's drag pack on the back with 17" Nitto 555riis.

This is an example

1618882791967.png

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
I don't personally have a drag pack. If i don't sell I will be going to E85 and in that event it would be the Forgestar F14's drag pack on the back with 17" Nitto 555riis.

This is an example

1618882791967.png
that scarily looks like my 2018 Roush Phase II supercharged GT. See pic below. Not the best shot.

Mustangs-April 2021.jpg

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
that scarily looks like my 2018 Roush Phase II supercharged GT. See pic below. Not the best shot.

Mustangs-April 2021.jpg
yeah mine is Kona blue also. Love it, Looks great.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Posted this in "Wheels and Tires". Got a lot of views but no feedback. Decided to repost here. Appreciate any feedback.

Currently running 305/35/19 Nitto NT05Rs on the rear of my 2018 Roush Phase II Supercharged GT. While the Nittos are sticky, I've had some traction issues at lower speeds and higher rpms (mainly 1st - 2nd gear). Planning to go to a 19x11 rear rim and run 325/35/19s on the rear. This car is currently in the performance shop and will likely be coming back at 750+ rwhp. So improved traction is of importance. I am evaluating the following options. I have heard good feedback on the MT ET Street S/S. Curious to hear others input on the below rear tire options.

1. Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S
2. Toyo Proxes R888R (not advertised as a "drag radial", but heard this is a very good and sticky tire)
3. Nitto NT01 (not advertised as a "drag radial")

If there are other "sticky" drag radial options I should be considering, please let me know. My cars do not see rain, so no need to provide input on drag radials that can also handle wet conditions. So far, the 2018 GT has not been to the drag strip. Mostly hard / spirited driving. Hope to get it to the strip later this summer.

Thanks for the input.
Hi. How do you like the Roush Stage II setup. When your running it hard does it start to reduce the timing which inturn reduces power levels?. Have you dyno the car yet? Thanks and have fun

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Hi. How do you like the Roush Stage II setup. When your running it hard does it start to reduce the timing which inturn reduces power levels?. Have you dyno the car yet? Thanks and have fun
EXACTLY WHAT IS HAPPENING. If you have traction control on, computer just pulls timing to keep traction when you are at WOT in 1st and 2nd gear. Pisses me off as I am not getting the full potential of the car in these gears. Believe me - it still goes like all hell, but it has so much more to give. Turning traction control off make the issue worse as the the rear end will get a bit twisty. So that is one of the main reasons why I am investigating a stickier tire setup for this car. Already have NT05Rs on the rear and was suggested that I air them down a bit - which I will try pronto when I get the car back.

And I love the car. With the other suspension upgrades, it actually handles very well.

Car is in the performance shop now getting various mods. Will have before and after dyno results after all the work and tuning is done. Should hopefully have the car back in the next one to two weeks.
Sponsored