RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
The 2019 Ecoboost with active exhaust actually comes from the factory with a resonator delete, with a Y pipe in its place. However, it appears that the factory Y pipe is 2” inlet and dual 2” out. My question is, is a new 3” catted downpipe still an improvement if it’s fitted to a 2” Y pipe? Second and separately, would there be additional gains from changing to a downpipe with a 3” inlet, with dual 2” outlets? I don’t intend to mess with the factory active exhaust, so I’m trying to figure out the best option without messing with anything past the Y back.

Some quick math shows that the dual 2” pipe is about 89% of the volume from a 3” pipe, so there would still be some restriction, but not nearly as much as a single 2”.
Sponsored

Rick B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Boyle's Law if my memory serves me right says, when a gas is heated it expands, as it cools it contracts. I can extrapolate that to the length of a three inch pipe. expecting to see the volume of exhaust gas decrease as it flows down the pipe. How much? I don't know because of many variables,
My point is, that even though a 3" pipe at the manifold is needed for gas to flow out, a less than 3" pipe will be needed for the same flow as the gas cools.
I'm a thinkin that dual two inch pipes will flow the same as a three inch pipe at a given point.

OP
OP
RichBrew

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
Boyle's Law if my memory serves me right says, when a gas is heated it expands, as it cools it contracts. I can extrapolate that to the length of a three inch pipe. expecting to see the volume of exhaust gas decrease as it flows down the pipe. How much? I don't know because of many variables,
My point is, that even though a 3" pipe at the manifold is needed for gas to flow out, a less than 3" pipe will be needed for the same flow as the gas cools.
I'm a thinkin that dual two inch pipes will flow the same as a three inch pipe at a given point.
I think you missed the point, but thanks.
Sponsored