Sponsored

Does anyone really know what’s causing the hood rot?

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Been reading, no real answer found. But I’ve got early stages of the dreaded hood rot, beyond warranty so I’m looking at one of GT500 style hoods. Obviously Cervini’s won’t rot again. But I’m also looking at one of the aluminum aftermarket hoods that in my opinion looks better than the center of a GT500 hood slapped on the top on a stock hood.
My concern is that 5 years down the road, I’m doing this all over again. I can do all the prep work in the world, but if it is galvanic from dissimilar metals there is no stopping this.
Anyone know for sure what is causing this, or all just speculation?
Sponsored

AGM2018

Been reading, no real answer found. But I’ve got early stages of the dreaded hood rot, beyond warranty so I’m looking at one of GT500 style hoods. Obviously Cervini’s won’t rot again. But I’m also looking at one of the aluminum aftermarket hoods that in my opinion looks better than the center of a GT500 hood slapped on the top on a stock hood.
My concern is that 5 years down the road, I’m doing this all over again. I can do all the prep work in the world, but if it is galvanic from dissimilar metals there is no stopping this.

COVID-19...it ROTS EVERYTHING!!! :devil::rain::thumbsdown:

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
if your are worried about galvanic corrosion, install a sacrificial anode. I think magnesium for alum and steel.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey OP, could you please post a photo? I have no idea what you're talking about. Our Gen6 hoods are mostly aluminum, with some steel structural bars. I can't think where it could be rotting. Thanks man. Oh, and also post which year your car is, mileage, and if it has sat under the elements all its life, where you live, etc. Basically all conditions that affect rust, to know if it's an unjustified issue (newer car, always garaged in a desert city, etc), or a relatively expected one (2015, always outside, ocean/snow-belt city, etc).

Sponsored

OP
OP
ScottsGT

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Just type in hood corrosion in the search window here. You’ll get plenty of threads to read up on. Usually starts near the front side edges. Mine has just started blistering. 2015, brought home Nov 2014.

OP
OP
ScottsGT

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Oh, forgot. Every day driver that stays parked outside. 56K miles on it. Car is kept clean. High humidity, but too far from the ocean for salt air. I’m 125 mile inland from the coast. South Carolina so no snow or salted roads. Slap ass in the middle of the state in Columbia.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks OP. Hey, your corrosion warranty should still be in effect, no? Remember it was like 8 years, and 100K miles, if I remember correctly. Curious about how bad it is, which only a pic would show, but if it's too much trouble, never mind. At any rate, not worried about it on my car since it's always garaged, but it shouldn't rust in less than 6 years under your conditions. Did you talk to Ford? And what did they say?

OP
OP
ScottsGT

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I honestly thought the warranty was 5 years unlimited mileage. But Shhhhh......don’t let the wife hear this. No way to get a cool hood under warranty.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
2015 is actually the only year they won’t warranty the hood corrosion issue.

Sponsored

Blufc3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Premium GT PP1, 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
23C3DB77-F0CB-4407-8202-3AC1F6D14580.jpeg
My S197 had this issue. I sanded it down, put some galvanize primer and paint on it with a brush and covered it with a Weathertec liner. I had 350Zs with aluminium hoods and never had this issue; surprised and disappointed the problem still exists with S550s.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
If your talking about paint bubbling, my buddy has a body shop, he says it’s aluminum oxide. Ford knows about it but they wont fix it under warranty.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
I work at a used car dealership, we have a 2009 Expedition on our lot. The truck is in great condition only 62k miles, its hood suffers from it. Its been an issue for a while. My car a 2016 gt/cs 401a tier car, and it has the issue. Ford may or may not fix it on the 18 and up cars but their not gonna fix it on my car. My body man has a fix for it and it never comes back..

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
Ford has fixed it 2-3 times on my 2017 EB over the last four years. I noticed it again last month and the hood itself is being replaced with a brand new one after work this afternoon.

It’s my understanding that the bubbling is galvanic corrosion underneath underneath the paint from poor prep work prior to painting at the factory. Specifically, it’s speculated to occur during the stamping process with contaminants from the dies remaining on the hood. Because of that, it doesn’t matter if your car never sees rain or snow it’s under the paint, it’ll happen. A garage queen can have this issue as easily as any daily driver like mine.

The bubbling hasn’t returned in the spot repairs Ford has done on my hood. It’s just occurred so many times it warranted a new hood. I believe ford also changed the warranty after 2016 for 5 years and unlimited miles, as that’s what applies to my ‘17. I don’t think anyone with a 2018 or newer has reported the issue here and it usually pops up within the first year. So there’s a chance after over a decade they may’ve finally solved it. But every S197 and S550 up to 2017 has a chance to get this.

There’s a large thread on this issue I’ll link shortly.
Edit: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/tsb-19-2026-aluminum-panel-corrosion.117031/
Sponsored