jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
Hi everyone,

So it has been a long time since I have been on these forums. Car has been great until the last two days. I know my lower rear control arms need to be replaced (bushings are shot so its time)...but a new problem as developed. I have noticed an audible clunk coming from the rear as I accelerate and decelerate...just when I start and when I almost come to a stop...I have not put the car in the air yet to diagnose (going to drop off at mechanic tomorrow for him to have a look), but I have two theories about this:

1. Connector between the two-piece driveshaft has gone bad and driveshaft needs to be replaced
2. Differential mounting bolt has snapped and differential is knocking against subframe (if this is the case...I think I am screwed because I don't have a place to make the repair myself (apartment living) and I am afraid the repairs will be too costly for me to afford (especially if damage has been done to other components.

Thoughts on this??? Again has only developed in the past two days. Car is coming up on 111,000 miles.
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Seems like it could be directly related to the control arm bushings. I’d rule those out first.

If that’s not the issue, do you have a GoPro? If so you could mount it under the rear of the car and see what the subframe is doing. May be hard to replicate outside of real world driving.

OP
OP
jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Well the verdict is in..and it is what I feared the most...differential bolt was cross threaded in and lost its clamping force. Not sure if he is going to be able to get it out without removing whole subframe because if they try and force it out...bushing might come with it.

Well...I will have to see what happens...hoping penetrating oil and a soak over the weekend makes it easier to get out without screwing up the bushing...but I do not have my hopes up.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Might as well add a differential bushing kit with a through bolt kit (if you’re going to have to drill out the existing threads), to help firm up the existing factory bushing since you’re going to be right there?

OP
OP
jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Might as well add a differential bushing kit with a through bolt kit (if you’re going to have to drill out the existing threads), to help firm up the existing factory bushing since you’re going to be right there?
Here is the thing...the problem stemmed from having a differential bushing kit (BMR BK051)...one of the bolts (front right) was difficult to put in...wasn't sure if I cross threaded it or not...but I knew it did not go all the way in when I installed it. However, it was so tough to get out, I decided to leave it as it was...never had a problem for over 60k miles...but now it is biting me in the ass. THe weird thing is...the bolt started out fine...just towards the end it got very tough to get in...so again I am waiting for the verdict. My guess is that the bushing somehow moved in the subframe while I was tightening it and this cross-threaded the bolt. If they do have to take the subframe out (and I am really hoping they don't have to), then I will discuss with them what we should do. I mean I get the idea that if they do one bushing...might as well do them all...but I am not sure if it will be worth it on a car with 111k miles and that I am now using just as a daily driver (hill climbing days/ canyon carving is kind of over for me...passed that stage...just want a reliable daily driver).

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I am now using just as a daily driver (hill climbing days/ canyon carving is kind of over for me...passed that stage...just want a reliable daily driver).
I understand. I hope it can be remedied fairly easily. Please keep us in the know.

OP
OP
jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Well good news...mechanics were able to get the bolt out...rethread, and road test...all fixed. Note to self...if a bolt does not go in all the way...take it back out and try again. Got really really lucky this time. That being said...rear lower control arms need to be replaced...but I can wait a little :)
Sponsored