Sponsored

DFW Sport-Cruise to Hill Country

rgingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 2.3T/Auto/50-yr/FRT
Hey all. About our cruise to the Hill Country..... how about the weekend of Aug 29th (Sat or Sun) and we can choose where and when to meet-up in the early A.M. for departure (maybe Ft.Worth, I-20 or I-30 area IHOP, etc.).

If we take the cruise down towards Fredricksburg/Three-Sisters area, we can now finalize the specific route and where to have lunch (Fredricksburg?). I suggest we have lunch and relax a bit before hitting the world-class Three-Sisters cruise (and we'll need a rest afterwards also!). I would estimate that we would then get back to the metroplex by about 6 P.M.

Everyone please chime-in who's participating. Our Mustangs moving together should be quite a sight, so I'll be bringing my camera gear for action photos/clips as well as car/driver portraits. By the way, other makes of sports cars are welcome, but please, no pick-up trucks. :D
Sponsored

Harley2k

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I would love to participate in some of y'all's events or cruises. I would have to take of work since I work weekends. Not trying to be a sissy but will it be a nice steady drive or will it be everyone racing and trying to run off and leave the stragglers. I've been on rides with friends/ groups that got pretty wild and very dangerous. It's fun for about a minute but makes for a long day. Guess I'm being the old guy but just curious if it would be worth burning a day of vacation.

Chargedguard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I might be interested if I have my car back in time.

RobbieFrazier

Captain Quality
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robbie
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem PP DIB; 2022 M1 Prem 700A HP EG
Hey all. About our cruise to the Hill Country..... how about the weekend of Aug 29th (Sat or Sun) and we can choose where and when to meet-up in the early A.M. for departure (maybe Ft.Worth, I-20 or I-30 area IHOP, etc.).

If we take the cruise down towards Fredricksburg/Three-Sisters area, we can now finalize the specific route and where to have lunch (Fredricksburg?). I suggest we have lunch and relax a bit before hitting the world-class Three-Sisters cruise (and we'll need a rest afterwards also!). I would estimate that we would then get back to the metroplex by about 6 P.M.

Everyone please chime-in who's participating. Our Mustangs moving together should be quite a sight, so I'll be bringing my camera gear for action photos/clips as well as car/driver portraits. By the way, other makes of sports cars are welcome, but please, no pick-up trucks. :D
I'm all in and ready to go, Bob.

I would love to participate in some of y'all's events or cruises. I would have to take of work since I work weekends. Not trying to be a sissy but will it be a nice steady drive or will it be everyone racing and trying to run off and leave the stragglers. I've been on rides with friends/ groups that got pretty wild and very dangerous. It's fun for about a minute but makes for a long day. Guess I'm being the old guy but just curious if it would be worth burning a day of vacation.
I'm not an "old guy", but I'm with you on this one. I'm in for a spirited cruise, but not a balls-out street race. I want to enjoy my Mustang and the Texas Hill Country. Based on the group of guys that met up a few weeks ago, I doubt this will be an issue.

OP
OP

rgingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been on numerous cruises ("sport tours") with my motorcycle, as have many others...... they are not wild or dangerous. The roads are in good condition with very curved and constantly changing elevations. The pace is brisk, with braking for the curve entries and acceleration on the exits, but we do it together..... no racing. I guess I'm an "old guy" too, and yes..... it would be worth a day of vacation to not feel like an "old guy". :D

Sponsored

crowemag55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium Kona Blue, PP1, A10, Active Exhaust
29th seems reasonable to me too.

OP
OP

rgingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The following were participating in our last "Whiskey Cake" meetup:

TCstang
Pootie_Stang
Lou
2015MagneticGt
WatchSquid
Genxer
blk.phive.zero
cyandhappiness
MyLilPony
PhillMcKraken
David_V
WatchSquid
ied0135
Rgingo
crowemag55

We'll start a new list soon for the Aug 29th cruise.

Tcstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium- Ordered
Our Mustangs moving together should be quite a sight, so I'll be bringing my camera gear for action photos/clips as well as car/driver portraits. By the way, other makes of sports cars are welcome, but please, no pick-up trucks. :D

We should put some kind of temporary decal on the windows that says ford test mule or something just to mess with people.

OP
OP

rgingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We should put some kind of temporary decal on the windows that says ford test mule or something just to mess with people.
Just the sight/sound of a herd of S550 "Stangs should mess with people plenty! :D

Sponsored

Tcstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium- Ordered
Any suggestions on lunch spots? Me and the Gf are really looking forward to this. Should be a great time. Hopefully not the last one.

RobbieFrazier

Captain Quality
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robbie
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem PP DIB; 2022 M1 Prem 700A HP EG
The following were participating in our last "Whiskey Cake" meetup:
Actually, the official list of members attending the 7/25 meet at Parkway Tavern was:
(listed in parking order from the Tollway west)

crowemag55 (Ruby Red GT Premium)
RobbieFrazier (Deep Impact Blue GT Premium PP)
Lou (Black GT Premium PP)
Pootie_Stang (Race Red GT PP)
Tcstang (Competition Orange GT Premium)
David_V (Magnetic GT Premium PP)
Thoriniv (Magnetic GT)
Genxer (Deep Impact Blue GT PP)
BigWormGraphix (Black GT Premium PP)
blk.phive.zero (Black GT)
rgingo (Magnetic EB Premium 50 Year)
cyandhappiness (Triple Yellow GT Premium PP)

It would be pretty amusing if someone saw that and posted it back on M6G as some sort of sighting.

Just the sight/sound of a herd of S550 "Stangs should mess with people plenty! :D
Agreed. I'm eager to hear this posse myself.

Any suggestions on lunch spots? Me and the Gf are really looking forward to this. Should be a great time. Hopefully not the last one.
I'm thinking we can do Sunset Grill or Old German Bakery & Cafe if we eat in Fredericksburg, or we can do Rio Ranch Cafe or Hill Country Cafe if we eat in Kerrville.

Possible routes to the Hill Country are:
67 - 220 - 281 - 290 - 16
-or-
67 - 220 - 281 - 84 - 16
-or-
67 - 220 - 281 - 84 - 16 - 965 - 16
-or-
377 - 16
-or-
377 - 16 - 965 - 16

If we go 67, we could meet up at 9:00 am at the Quik Trip in Alvarado on SH67 @ I35W. (GTs will need to fill up here before the ~250 mile trip.)

If we go 377, we could meet at 9:00 am at the 7-Eleven in Benbrook on SH377 @ I20.

For GTs it's looking like three tanks of fuel - one for the trip down; one for the Three Sisters route; and a third for the trip home. Wonder how well the EBs will fare.

Let's get the planning finalized this weekend so all involved are prepared. I'm open to suggestions for the time, meeting spot, route, lunch...whatever other suggestions you may have. Also, it would be nice to know if any others are planning to participate. (One of my coworkers just bought an S550 a few weeks ago. He's not an M6G member yet, but I've invited him along as well.)

So far, the following members are confirmed participants:
rgingo
RobbieFrazier
Tcstang
crowemag55

OP
OP

rgingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm thinking we can do Sunset Grill or Old German Bakery & Cafe if we eat in Fredericksburg, or we can do Rio Ranch Cafe or Hill Country Cafe if we eat in Kerrville.

Possible routes to the Hill Country are:
67 - 220 - 281 - 290 - 16
-or-
67 - 220 - 281 - 84 - 16
-or-
67 - 220 - 281 - 84 - 16 - 965 - 16
-or-
377 - 16
-or-
377 - 16 - 965 - 16

If we go 67, we could meet up at 9:00 am at the Quik Trip in Alvarado on SH67 @ I35W. (GTs will need to fill up here before the ~250 mile trip.)

If we go 377, we could meet at 9:00 am at the 7-Eleven in Benbrook on SH377 @ I20.

For GTs it's looking like three tanks of fuel - one for the trip down; one for the Three Sisters route; and a third for the trip home. Wonder how well the EBs will fare.

Let's get the planning finalized this weekend so all involved are prepared. I'm open to suggestions for the time, meeting spot, route, lunch...whatever other suggestions you may have. Also, it would be nice to know if any others are planning to participate. (One of my coworkers just bought an S550 a few weeks ago. He's not an M6G member yet, but I've invited him along as well.)

"So far, the following members are confirmed participants:
rgingo
RobbieFrazier
Tcstang
crowemag55 ____"
Hey, good thoughts! I'm really looking forward to this too. I'm OK with the decals idea, but I don't know where to get such an item.

Your lunch suggestions for Fredricksburg look good (we can rest-up and fuel-up before hitting the Three Sisters.

I estimate the trip to be about 3.5 hrs to Fredricksburg, 1 hr in Fredricksburg, 3 hrs for Three Sisters and 3.5 hrs return trip to DFW (total 11 hrs). This means we meet at about 7:30 A.M. for an early start (can have a coffee/breakfast) so we can be back before dark.

I concur with your suggested routes. I also suggest the route of 281 to 377 to 16 to 935 into Fredricksburg which is very good (no repairs/construction, etc). To quickly get out of the metroplex to 281 has several options: the ones Robbie mentioned as well as I-20 to 281. I am for the fastest one.
Guys, chime in on this so we can finalize.

By the way, don't worry about the turbo gas mileage, I'll top-off whenever you all will fill-up.

Last edited:

Tcstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium- Ordered
I'm not familiar with any of the routes but would prefer the fastest route with minimum construction myself. I can meet anywhere just need to know where so I can figure out what time to leave my place. I'm located closer the the parkway tavern from last time.

OP
OP

rgingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not familiar with any of the routes but would prefer the fastest route with minimum construction myself. I can meet anywhere just need to know where so I can figure out what time to leave my place. I'm located closer the the parkway tavern from last time.
Seems like a meet-up in central DFW would be convenient: I suggest the IHOP at the Eastchase Pkwy exit of I-30 (7 min west of stadiums). There are also four gas stations at this location. I have recently driven 67 into Cleburne from I-35W.... it's under construction. 377 into Stephenville is an option, but I have not been on it recently; however, I just went to Stephenville (and on to Fredricksburg) last month via 281 (off I-20 west of Weatherford). It's clean and pretty fast.....almost no traffic! :D
Sponsored