I don't see any pics... Is it just me?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Had a shop install the Borla S-Type catback a few weeks back. At first glance it looked alright, but I now notice the muffler tips on both sides tend to sag, more so on the driver side. Looking at the mid-pipe hangers, the driver side definitely seems a bit off as well.

I was going to loosen and re-adjust myself, but noticed they spot welded at all the joints. In addition, it looks like the shop cut and re-welded the driver-side muffler hanger in attempt to straighten :frusty.

Honestly it's not that bad at a distance, but now that I notice it, can't be unseen.

I'm likely going to need to a find a shop to correct this, but not sure how fixable it really is.

Thoughts? Sorry for the bad cell phone pics, best I could do for now:

Driver-side:
ATv3NVu.jpg

Passenger-side:
92ySVQj.jpg

Cut & re-welded hanger:
XaQlYC0.jpg

Mid-pipe hangers:
Q0KQ8Jp.jpg

Spot-weld joints:
RnEsDUE.jpg
Uh wow. I'd get your money back and have them fix that. There was no reason for them to weld anything. They go together just fine, but it appears these guys don't get how to put stuff together.

OP
OP
rktsnk

rktsnk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Uh wow. I'd get your money back and have them fix that. There was no reason for them to weld anything. They go together just fine, but it appears these guys don't get how to put stuff together.
For sure. Working on getting my money back at least, but not sure if I trust them to "fix" it given the job done.

You're in my neck of the woods. Any place you'd recommend?

Sponsored

Weasel1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
You sure the local butcher didn’t install that exhaust, cause that’s what they did to it.....

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
For sure. Working on getting my money back at least, but not sure if I trust them to "fix" it given the job done.

You're in my neck of the woods. Any place you'd recommend?
They're not the cheapest, but Naperville Exhaust Works does excellent work. If it wasn't welded up, I'd help you myself (done several catbacks on the S550).

OP
OP
rktsnk

rktsnk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
They're not the cheapest, but Naperville Exhaust Works does excellent work. If it wasn't welded up, I'd help you myself (done several catbacks on the S550).
Ty sir, i'll give them a call. Haha. Honestly wish I just did the install myself at this point. I had a shop do it because I just didn't want to crawl under the car. This is what I get for being lazy, :headbonk:

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
When mine was sitting like that it, tips wouldn't line up it was because the midpipe was canted at that connection so it thru off everything else on the way back.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Grind off the spot welds and re-adjust. You should be able to get enough of the weld off with an angle grinder. If you can't get in there with a grinder you may need to drop the cat-back and do it off the car.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Unless they perhaps put the mufflers on the wrong side (if that matters), I don't see how they would have needed to modify the hanger unless the exhaust itself was made poorly.

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Grind off the spot welds and re-adjust. You should be able to get enough of the weld off with an angle grinder. If you can't get in there with a grinder you may need to drop the cat-back and do it off the car.

Honestly I'd just make them fix it.

This is a model specific exhaust that fits without too much fiddling around and they've managed to mess it up.

OP
OP
rktsnk

rktsnk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I was able to work something out with the original installer and got some money back. They offered to resolve it, but I turned it down and ended up taking it over to the shop [MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] suggested. They were able to grind off the spot welds and get everything straightened up and aligned in under 30 mins. :thumbsup:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I was able to work something out with the original installer and got some money back. They offered to resolve it, but I turned it down and ended up taking it over to the shop [MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] suggested. They were able to grind off the spot welds and get everything straightened up and aligned in under 30 mins. :thumbsup:
Awesome!
Sponsored