Dealer said I cant get painted stripes

302Kelly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
1994 mustang cobra , 2020gt500 ordered
Ordered gt500 nov 21 2019 base with painted roof and over the top painted stripes. Went over everything, signed the spec sheet, gave deposit and I get a call yesterday saying they can’t build it with that option. Said I have to get vinyl stripes. Went on to say that only 2% are being made with that combo and ford says it can’t be made that way. Then he goes on to say they have one of the best body shops around and they could paint it the way I wanted??? This is my dream car- I thought since I ordered it exactly how I wanted it that was what I would get. Can dealers do this? Has anyone else had this issue?
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Not understanding the part about can't be made that way but 2% are being made that way.

But I would much rather have stripes painted on afterwards (which is what I did, but factory wasn't available). The Ford options are pretty thin pick'ns. A paint shop can do millions of colors and LOTS of widths, styles, etc. And based on my experience will cost you well under half what the factory painted stripes cost. A shop will scuff the factory clear-coat, lay the stripes and then clear-coat the panels that got the stripes. Probably a plus to have at least 3 times the thickness of clear coat on front, rear and upper surfaces since a human can't lay down the additional clear-coat as thin as a robot.

Painted stripes require a golden ticket. I can understand a dealer not wanting to "waste" a golden ticket on a non-track pack car since the demand for that option is so high and can justify a higher ADM, not to mention has a higher profit since the stripes cost less. Suspect they would rather offer/sell a track pack with or without painted stripes than just painted stripes.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I don't think it's the dealer's fault. I would blame Ford for that. The dealer can order it any way you want and has nothing to gain by making you unhappy. It's Ford that can choose to honour the order or not, depending on their own internal processes. I'd be very surprised if they had at least the courtesy to communicate their reasons to the dealer. I'd wager to say they don't even do that. They just reject the order, leaving the dealer in the unfortunate position of giving you the bad news and dealing with your dissatisfaction.

OP
OP

302Kelly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
Not understanding the part about can't be made that way but 2% are being made that way.

But I would much rather have stripes painted on afterwards (which is what I did, but factory wasn't available). The Ford options are pretty thin pick'ns. A paint shop can do millions of colors and LOTS of widths, styles, etc..

Painted stripes require a golden ticket. I can understand a dealer not wanting to "waste" a golden ticket on a non-track pack car since the demand for that option is so high and can justify a higher ADM, not to mention has a higher profit since the stripes cost less.
Thanks for reply. I didn’t understand the 2% comment either. I would have thought they would have told me this when the order was placed back in November. It’s a little disappointing but I’m still going through with it. Maybe I’ll like it without the stripes!

OP
OP

302Kelly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
I don't think it's the dealer's fault. I would blame Ford for that. The dealer can order it any way you want and has nothing to gain by making you unhappy. It's Ford that can choose to honour the order or not, depending on their own internal processes. I'd be very surprised if they had at least the courtesy to communicate their reasons to the dealer. I'd wager to say they don't even do that. They just reject the order, leaving the dealer in the unfortunate position of giving you the bad news and dealing with your dissatisfaction.[/QUOTE
Well they did give me the “good news” that they can still build the order... just not the way I ordered. Ha! So I should be happy about that. I really hope this car lives up to all the hype.

Sponsored

Grey03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Raptor, 2021 BMW M340i
Ford and its dealers... I ordered a base GT500 back in June. Get a call at the end of January from the dealer that my car had to have painted stripes or I would have to wait for the next allocation. Ended up with a fully loaded CFTP w/ painted stripes...

OP
OP

302Kelly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
Ford and its dealers... I ordered a base GT500 back in June. Get a call at the end of January from the dealer that my car had to have painted stripes or I would have to wait for the next allocation. Ended up with a fully loaded CFTP w/ painted stripes...
Nice! I like the CFTP look a lot better than the base but I wanted a back seat (crazy right?) so I went with base. I don’t plan on racing it- just wanted something awesome to take out on nice days. Enjoy your new ride!!

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
These cars are never going to worth Barrett Jackson prices just ask all the guys who but a 2007 GT500 and hid it away. I agree with the others who say get them painted on and you'll be able to enjoy them for a real long time vinyl stripes just don't hold up.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
These cars are never going to worth Barrett Jackson prices just ask all the guys who but a 2007 GT500 and hid it away. I agree with the others who say get them painted on and you'll be able to enjoy them for a real long time vinyl stripes just don't hold up.
Vinyl stripes just look cheap up close, I mean I like them and all, but you know what vinyl is vs paint.
Sponsored