goff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Godfrey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have now completed the write up of how I split my headlight assemblies using my Heat-Gun method. Whilst in my opinion this is 10 times better and easier than the oven bake method I still do not recommend you do this unless you are prepared to take full responsibility for damaging your headlights as I take no responsibility what so ever!

The advantage of splitting is that you can also black out the chrome work inside the assembly. BUT if you do not intend on doing this than I think the cutting a hole method is probably still the best way according to others who have already done it this way?

The link:

http://allanjonesvip.wix.com/s550headlightsplit

Cheers
That was brilliant Allan :headbang: I wont be blacking out my chrome as I love Chrome ,Not enough on cars these days ( Old man syndrome I guess :eek:)
Sponsored

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
Don't know if I'll ever do this though I would like the tribars lit up but thanks for taking the time to do the writeup :clap2:

As for blacking out the chrome, what do people do and how do they prep? Really the chrome should be removed to ensure good adhesion as you wouldn't want to have to take them apart again. I'm wondering if using plasti dip would be a way around it as that should adhere to the chrome OK and be completely reversible if you ever had to.

CasperGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
GT Black Fastback (Drake)
Don't know if I'll ever do this though I would like the tribars lit up but thanks for taking the time to do the writeup :clap2:

As for blacking out the chrome, what do people do and how do they prep? Really the chrome should be removed to ensure good adhesion as you wouldn't want to have to take them apart again. I'm wondering if using plasti dip would be a way around it as that should adhere to the chrome OK and be completely reversible if you ever had to.
Just sand down and use etch primer. I would worry that plasti dip might peel under extreme heat if in summer sun for periods of time?

In my case because the car will be black, I am blacking out all chrome except for the very front chrome ring around the projector lens. Should look stealthy I hope, especialky withe the tri-bars lit up? :headbonk:

CasperGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
We are checking out now and will implement everything we can to make the installation trouble-free. Great info from him, really helpful!
Just a thank you to Steve at DD for your update on the tri-bar kit that I have on order. You guys are so professional and easy to communicate with. I am verry happy to wait the extra time for the new production run.

I highly recommend DD to all forum members :headbang: that have not bought from you yet.

Thanks so much... Allan :first:

Sponsored

CasperGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Is there a guide for the bottom cutout method?
I was going to muck around doing a guide but to be honest it seemed interest dropped and its a lot of work putting a guide together. But I had an idea on how to make a tool for placing the borads and was going to muck around making it sometime soon. Will share that when I make it.

Poni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Fastback
I just joined this forum and the main reason was that I'm very interested in the cutting a hole method.
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

This mod will be one of many others during the winter here in Sweden.
So I'll be looking forward to any information you'll post, Allan!

sharks1in50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have now completed the write up of how I split my headlight assemblies using my Heat-Gun method. Whilst in my opinion this is 10 times better and easier than the oven bake method I still do not recommend you do this unless you are prepared to take full responsibility for damaging your headlights as I take no responsibility what so ever!

The advantage of splitting is that you can also black out the chrome work inside the assembly. BUT if you do not intend on doing this than I think the cutting a hole method is probably still the best way according to others who have already done it this way?

The link:

Cheers

Link doesn't work.....:confused:

12baller12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ciaran
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Fastback
Vehicle Showcase
Just a thank you to Steve at DD for your update on the tri-bar kit that I have on order. You guys are so professional and easy to communicate with. I am verry happy to wait the extra time for the new production run.
Are these the newer white/amber switchbacks on the DD website?

Sponsored

CasperGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=25769]CasperGT[/MENTION], Mate your link is not working. I will be installing the tri-bar during the Christmas holidays and I really need your guide to do that.

Mate to be honest I got concerened that someone would stuff their lights and then take it out on me. So I took it down and then a week later my computer crashed which I am still trying to resolve.

The problem is that splitting the assemblies carries a real risk of something going wrong. I feel confident to do mine but I also had the opportunity to practice on two assemblies first.

If it does go wrong, its a $1000 mistake plus time off the road. In saying that, I discovered a heat gun method that was a lot better than the oven method that I would never ever recommend anyone do. Its a garanteed screwing up your lights.

The bottom line is that by far, the safest way is the cut a hole method. This way you make a hole cut on the bottom of the assembly housing and carefully glue the led strips in place.

I have been very busy of late but because I actually have the US assemblies that I already split and an EU assembly to compare, I am in a good position to mark up the optimised cutting location and make a template.

If I can get this done sometime over the next two weekends I would be happy to mail off a copy of the template if that would help. I am already going to do that for another member. I can also take some reference photos of the internal assembly that the led boards hang off if that would help. :cheers:

Myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I was interested in doing this mod when my car arrives, but after looking at DD's vid and wondering about how it is then wired to the car and coming across @paninist's great write up on wiring:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56267

Not to mention there is the process of opening/drilling into the light housing - and as CasperGT mentioned the risk of stuffing it up can be costly.

I've decided that this is not a mod but an installation/refit job lol. Definitely require electrical knowledge as well as fiddling about with the car. i.e its way out of my league - happy to mess about with my bike, but not a new car:shrug:. Replacing emblems and lower grills are probably the limit for me. :headbonk:

Can anyone in Sydney recommend a shop which has done this 'mod' please? I note that Blingworks was mentioned. Any other shops/experience?

CasperGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Its not cheap Myke, they are usually around $800 to have done from what I hear. :eyebulge:

I was interested in doing this mod when my car arrives, but after looking at DD's vid and wondering about how it is then wired to the car and coming across @paninist's great write up on wiring:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56267

Not to mention there is the process of opening/drilling into the light housing - and as CasperGT mentioned the risk of stuffing it up can be costly.

I've decided that this is not a mod but an installation/refit job lol. Definitely require electrical knowledge as well as fiddling about with the car. i.e its way out of my league - happy to mess about with my bike, but not a new car:shrug:. Replacing emblems and lower grills are probably the limit for me. :headbonk:

Can anyone in Sydney recommend a shop which has done this 'mod' please? I note that Blingworks was mentioned. Any other shops/experience?
Sponsored