Sponsored

Paint Bubbling in Hood

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
I know nothing about PPF so this might be a dumb question...are you sure this is a paint problem and not an issue with the xpel, like trapped moisture?
I believe the Xpel is still porous to a degree (Urethane), so not sure there is an issue with trapped moisture. During the curing process any moisture from the installation is outgassed through the product. Aluminum corrosion unfortunately can crop up anywhere at any time.
Sponsored

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Did your guy custom cut or use a template? The templates I've seen look that the OPs
I sent a pic of the corners from the OP to my xpel guy who I have a very good relationship with.

His response.. "ouff, that was definitely over cut". The hood he uses a custom sheet and trims so that explains the hood difference. However the fenders were over cut. He uses the xpel template and tucks them under.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I sent a pic of the corners from the OP to my xpel guy who I have a very good relationship with.

His response.. "ouff, that was definitely over cut". The hood he uses a custom sheet and trims so that explains the hood difference. However the fenders were over cut. He uses the xpel template and tucks them under.
thats ok. I really dont care about the edges. I have a gt3rs and a zr1. Both have similar edges. As long as ppf protects, thats all i care

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Just like Dr’s, mechanics, athletics etc., not all PPF installers are created equal.
If you’re happy with it, that’s all that matters. The eye opener is when you find out you’re paying top dollar for sub standard work.
I have a client that has a few great cars and it’s obvious he has boatloads of money. He’s not detail oriented at all. He once told me “life is to short to care about every little thing....OCD and enjoying life are strange bedfellows”.
We all have our own expectations which vary considerably.

Sponsored

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Ford is replacing the hood. I m trying to cover the cost of xpel replacement as well.
How did they determine it was in fact corrosion to give the green light? just based off the pictures?

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
To OP, glad they approved your new hood,
I have a different looking bubble, but still a bubble, on the quarter panel above the 5.0 emblem.
It doesn't look like the typical corrosion bubbling since it's one bubble raised perfectly in a circle and spherical, whereas all the corrosion bubble pictures I've seen on the forum are usually flat and random looking. Is this just a bad paint job from overspray or maybe paint drip from the factory, or corrosion related? If it's a paint defect I'll just leave it be and live with it, but I don't know how to determine if it's corrosion or not. Anyone else ever seen something like this?

Inked20220316_173450_LI.jpg

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
How did they determine it was in fact corrosion to give the green light? just based off the pictures?
You have to take it to the dealer. The dealer takes pictures and submits them to Ford. Ford determines if it's something they will fix under warranty. I had my hood replaced under the corrosion warranty.
Sponsored