Status
Not open for further replies.

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
“California law explicitly forbids a civil enforcement agency, including ICE, from making a civil arrest without a warrant outside a courthouse,” said San Francisco Public Defender Mano Raju of the Election Day arrest. “San Francisco will not allow such egregious abuse of power to go unchecked; we will provide immediate and zealous representation to anyone subject to such illegal activity.”

So now, taxpayers in California are going to be paying for the criminal defense of illegal immigrants accused of crimes and arrested by Federal Authorities?
Sponsored

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Its the American way, welcome to the be!l curve

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
CA politicians are out of control. Hopefully being deprived of federal funding will help them come to their senses. Not to mention some of this stuff should get thrown out in court.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
CA politicians are out of control. Hopefully being deprived of federal funding will help them come to their senses. Not to mention some of this stuff should get thrown out in court.
“California law explicitly forbids a civil enforcement agency, including ICE, from making a civil arrest without a warrant outside a courthouse,” said San Francisco Public Defender Mano Raju of the Election Day arrest. “San Francisco will not allow such egregious abuse of power to go unchecked; we will provide immediate and zealous representation to anyone subject to such illegal activity.

So now, taxpayers in California are going to be paying for the criminal defense of illegal immigrants accused of crimes and arrested by Federal Authorities?
This has nothing to do with California - Perhaps you have never heard of Miranda?

"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can be used against you in court. You have the right to talk to a lawyer for advice before we ask you any questions. You have the right to have a lawyer with you during questioning. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for you before any questioning if you wish. If you decide to answer questions now without a lawyer present, you have the right to stop answering at any time."

Every state in the country and the Federal courts will provide a Public Defender who cannot afford a defense. It is important to note that immigrants who live in the United States illegally are also protected and should receive their Miranda warnings as well when being interrogated or placed under arrest.

Call me crazy, but I value the 5th Amendment.

Perhaps you disagree that one should be presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

This "thing" you are protesting doesn't cost taxpayers anything more than they are already paying because PDs have always been funded by taxpayers.

OP
OP
Docscurlock

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
It is important to note that immigrants who live in the United States illegally are also protected and should receive their Miranda warnings as well when being interrogated or placed under arrest.
Perhaps this is the problem

Perhaps you disagree that one should be presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

This "thing" you are protesting doesn't cost taxpayers anything more than they are already paying because PDs have always been funded by taxpayers.
So, illegal immigrants are good taxpayers? So public defenders work for free for illegals? By being here illegally aren't they already by default breaking our nations immigration laws? Why is it that illegals seem to get a free pass on everything, esp in Kalifornia? You realize, the illegals that ICE wants to deport generally aren't upstanding good people, they are breaking the law sometimes to the direct harm to US citizens.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
This has nothing to do with California - Perhaps you have never heard of Miranda?

"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can be used against you in court. You have the right to talk to a lawyer for advice before we ask you any questions. You have the right to have a lawyer with you during questioning. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for you before any questioning if you wish. If you decide to answer questions now without a lawyer present, you have the right to stop answering at any time."

Every state in the country and the Federal courts will provide a Public Defender who cannot afford a defense. It is important to note that immigrants who live in the United States illegally are also protected and should receive their Miranda warnings as well when being interrogated or placed under arrest.

Call me crazy, but I value the 5th Amendment.

Miranda is for US citizens. Public defenders are for US citizens.

If you are in the US and you aren't a US citizen, there's no presumption of innocence. You are obviously guilty of a crime.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Miranda is for US citizens. Public defenders are for US citizens.

If you are in the US and you aren't a US citizen, there's no presumption of innocence. You are obviously guilty of a crime.
Is that what they taught you in law school?

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Perhaps this is the problem

So, illegal immigrants are good taxpayers?

To an extent - yes: Like all others living and working in the United States, undocumented immigrants are taxpayers too and collectively contribute an estimated $11.74 billion to state and local coffers each year via a combination of sales and excise, personal income, and property taxes, according to Undocumented Immigrants’ State and Local Tax Contributions by the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy - They pay sales taxes, use taxes, income taxes are withheld from payroll . And ironically, I doubt many of them file for their refunds.

So public defenders work for free for illegals?
PD's work for a modest salary for the accused - all accused. Also, for example, they represent people extradited to the US who never stepped foot in the US - think narcotrafficantes.

By being here illegally aren't they already by default breaking our nations immigration laws?
Yes - but they are still presumed innocent even if accused of immigration violations. We are a country of laws and afford due process to the accused.

Why is it that illegals seem to get a free pass on everything, esp in Kalifornia?
Most of them clean houses, work in the fields, do janitorial work, and all of the other shitty jobs Americans won't do and live in deplorable conditions in the shadows. Not exactly a "free pass" in a land with a very high cost of living. Also, California is spelled with a "C".

You realize, the illegals that ICE wants to deport generally aren't upstanding good people, they are breaking the law sometimes to the direct harm to US citizens.

Sounds good to me - Now how we are going to extricate them? And believe me - I live here - I'm happy with anything that would reduce the population, esp. criminals.
And FYI - much of your philosophy I agree with - My Dad came from Ukraine and my Mom from Melania-land (a.k.a. Slovenia) after WW2. They learned English, got sponsors, became citizens, got jobs (Dad- Carpenter, Mom - cafeteria worker at the local middle school) and did everything right and did it legally so their kids could have a better life. I resent people who don't do it right - but I resent even more a system that relies on exploiting them and is tolerated by corrupt politicians (who wear ALL political hats) and benefits the exploiters more than anyone.

OP
OP
Docscurlock

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
And FYI - much of your philosophy I agree with - My Dad came from Ukraine and my Mom from Melania-land (a.k.a. Slovenia) after WW2. They learned English, got sponsors, became citizens, got jobs (Dad- Carpenter, Mom - cafeteria worker at the local middle school) and did everything right and did it legally so their kids could have a better life. I resent people who don't do it right - but I resent even more a system that relies on exploiting them and is tolerated by corrupt politicians (who wear ALL political hats) and benefits the exploiters more than anyone.
Kudos for your parents. If immigrants come here legally then I fail to see how they can be exploited. They have every right that Nat born Americans do and I see them integrated into society well. When they come here illegally they are open to all kinds of exploitation from gangs to loan sharks to child exploitation. We welcome lots of immigrants every year but it needs to be an orderly process.
Politicians are scum.

The original article was about the State of California and City of San Fran using state and local resources to "vigorously" defend illegals immigration arrests which is a federal matter. If you are happy seeing your money going to pay for that then so be it. I think that money could be better spent on Americans. If an illegal is picked up by Federal authorities for potentially breaking immigration laws I don't see why the state of California would spend it's taxpayers money defending these people.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.