Sponsored

Cowl air intake (for HVAC) is a leaf/debris magnet

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
This gripe is not about a malfunction, but it is about a design problem that is pissing me off today.

Every time I have to park under a tree that is dropping leaves or other debris, it somehow migrates into the cowl air intake areas under the upper part of the hood. Yesterday I parked under one little branch of a cedar tree (technically a juniper) and a storm came through which knocked a shitload of debris off the tree. Now that screened air intake area is packed with little cedar twiglets that are stuck in the screen mesh; they are a huge pain to get out. (They don't just brush away like leaves, and if you try to pick them out, they break into fragments and fall deeper into the HVAC system, which I don't want.) I don't understand how so much debris gets down to the air intakes when the hood is closed. Someone at Ford needed to include another baffle or something to keep the area clear.

Also, while I'm on a good rant, whoever at Ford decided we don't need moldings around the windshield and rear window was an idiot. Small leaves and other debris are constantly getting trapped in that gap between the glass and the body, Usually they can be removed with a credit card or similar tool but I'd rather just have that gap closed with a molding like every other car made from 1930-2010.
Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I agree with you about that screen, which is on both left and right sides ahead of the windshield.
Maybe we could cut about a thin piece of air filter to the same shape as the screen and place it on top. Then discard and replace it every so often. I'm talking about the type of filter used in your house central AC intake vent.