Cost per HP

mswift5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt (guard)
Hey guys. I was wondering if we could start a cost per hp thread. I am going to start to mod my car soon, and just wanted to get a sense of what things cost and the benefit you get. I see lots of threads on here saying how much hp people have gained, but no cost associated with it. I will be having a shop do my work for me as I have limited space to work on my car. Of course, if you do the work yourself, the cost per hp will be less, and different types of dyno's will also affect the number. I was thinking of listing items like this:

30 rwhp
ARH long tube headers/exhaust, no tune, installed by shop. $2,700.
Mustang dyno
CPH (cost per hp) $90

That way I or we can guage what we can afford in real dollars and the benefit received.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Thoughts?

I think there are many other important aspects to mods than just horsepower. A catback adds little to no HP gains but can sound sweet. A dialed in tune can add power sure, but also things like throttle response and smooth power delivery.

Now if HP were truly the primary focus, then you have to consider the mods that are combined for extra benefits like headers and tune, intake manifold with increased redline, and blowers with more efficient intercoolers.

Last edited: