Sponsored

Corvette C8

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The only decent Cayman is the new 4.0 GTS which is about £60-70k, and of course the brilliant GT4.
I think you have a point as the 4 pots whilst personally i think are very good drivers cars and look stunning they just lack that special engine to go with such a special little sports car. The GTS and GT4 resolve that problem.

Back on the C8, seen a fair few reviews on it, for how much it is in the USA its nothing less than a miracle in both looks and performance BUT the interior whilst looks decent(ish) for maybe a £50k car, it looks like it falls short of where an £81k car should be.
Sponsored

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
I would deffo have the Corvette C8 in an instant

but

that price is a little too much for me at moment

If it was (as originally rumoured) around £60k - then yes! for sure

Bob

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I would deffo have the Corvette C8 in an instant

but

that price is a little too much for me at moment

If it was (as originally rumoured) around £60k - then yes! for sure

Bob
I was looking at the Corvette site and realistically once you option it to the level it needs to be its more like $75-80k rather than the $60k base it starts at, so more like £62500 in the USA so yes a shame that price didn't follow it here to the UK.

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Those 2.0 Porsche Caymans are no slouch, faster off the mark and they keep up with a V8 Mustang no problem, I know this from personal experience :like:

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Those 2.0 Porsche Caymans are no slouch, faster off the mark and they keep up with a V8 Mustang no problem, I know this from personal experience :like:
The 2.0 are quick but zero soul!

Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
quick sure but my god are they dull and sound like a whiney hairdrier :( one of my board members just bought a brand new one 86k on the road and my god is it shit he's a die hard porker fan too he's already on about swapping it out for something else he hates it that much.

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
quick sure but my god are they dull and sound like a whiney hairdrier :( one of my board members just bought a brand new one 86k on the road and my god is it shit he's a die hard porker fan too he's already on about swapping it out for something else he hates it that much.
How has he spent £86k on a 2.0 Cayman??? It would need every option ticked plus some!! A Cayman S 2.5 (still 4 pot, i agree) maybe but even that would be many many many options and he is clearly mad if he has optioned a 718 S to that amount, needs his head read big time.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
How has he spent £86k on a 2.0 Cayman??? It would need every option ticked plus some!! A Cayman S 2.5 (still 4 pot, i agree) maybe but even that would be many many many options and he is clearly mad if he has optioned a 718 S to that amount, needs his head read big time.
its the S (2.5) but he likes the look of them over the other 911's etc but i think you're massively underestimating the on the road pricing of them you seem to think they're a lot cheaper than they are. the corvette is still a much much much better proposition.

Total Recommended Retail Price*: £ 83,310.00
Direct from porsche configurator and all that was doing was matching the drivetrain to the spec of the corvette ignoring any interior/exterior design upgrades.

Last edited:

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
its the S (2.5) but he likes the look of them over the other 911's etc but i think you're massively underestimating the on the road pricing of them you seem to think they're a lot cheaper than they are. the corvette is still a much much much better proposition.
I actually looked at purchasing a 718 and 718s so no i'm not underestimating the OTR price at all, i agree you can option any Porsche to silly amounts but you don't need to. £86k for a Cayman S is pretty much every single option selected which in my experience are rare.

I looked at used as well and cant recall any Cayman or Cayman S optioned to that level most S's had original invoice prices of £65ish-£75k at the very most.

Regarding the Corvette being a better proposition, i agree it certainly looks to offer the more exciting car.

Last edited:

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Total Recommended Retail Price*: £ 83,310.00
Direct from porsche configurator and all that was doing was matching the drivetrain to the spec of the corvette ignoring any interior/exterior design upgrades.
I am getting really confused?

A Cayman S starts at £54k how have you optioned £30k on the drivetrain alone?

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
I do agree that £86k on a Cayman S is going some!

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
I am getting really confused?

A Cayman S starts at £54k how have you optioned £30k on the drivetrain alone?
according to their configurator a 718 s base is 62k add the mag suspension, ceramic brakes and a few other drive train bits and the pdk and its over 80k. so no not difficult or going some, fully loaded with all exterior and interior is going to be north of 90.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
I looked at used as well and cant recall any Cayman or Cayman S optioned to that level most S's had original invoice prices of £65ish-£75k at the very most.
the problem is the 718 is the affordable porsche in its base format so the quantity they sold i base or base + pdk is massively higher than one optioned up to a sensible level. the fact is though that its not a 911, its still got a crap engine, and its still got terrible terrible german reliability and inability to sort out vehicle electrics without massive issues.

if you're going to buy a porsche save up for a good one don't settle for the crap one and if you want something actually with a v8 apart from a ford (yeah won't be going there again) you're very limited with options at under 100k

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
according to their configurator a 718 s base is 62k add the mag suspension, ceramic brakes and a few other drive train bits and the pdk and its over 80k. so no not difficult or going some, fully loaded with all exterior and interior is going to be north of 90.
the problem is the 718 is the affordable porsche in its base format so the quantity they sold i base or base + pdk is massively higher than one optioned up to a sensible level. the fact is though that its not a 911, its still got a crap engine, and its still got terrible terrible german reliability and inability to sort out vehicle electrics without massive issues.

if you're going to buy a porsche save up for a good one don't settle for the crap one and if you want something actually with a v8 apart from a ford (yeah won't be going there again) you're very limited with options at under 100k
Incorrect base for a Cayman S mate, UK base is £53746 end of, factual no arguments please.

I don’t fully grasp why you think a 718s needs to be optioned to the max, it doesn’t and most aren’t.

Clearly you’re not a fan and I respect that bit I don’t agree with your statements regarding cost. Earlier in this thread you stated a base 2 litre 718 was £80k when it’s actually £45k!!! Now your saying that a 718s must be fully specified and will cost north of £90k? Are you intentionally trying to goad me

anyone who cares go on the Porsche uk configuration tool and have a go, come back and report, am I wrong? Baring in mind I nearly purchased one I think not.

And to be clear I wouldn't buy a 718s due to its engine, for the money i want more than a 4 cylinder.

Last edited:

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
if you want something actually with a v8
That was me! Thought I'd tick that box, I thought I would get a new, or ex-demo V8 while they're still on sale. That's why other OEMs didn't even make the list (including Porsche) as I wanted a V8 engined car.

If you do proceed to buy your La Corvette, I hope you like it.
V8, mid engined sports car are a small group.
I would consider one if the finances allowed.
Sponsored